MOTU Audio Express with the iPad

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
earbrain
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Audio Express with the iPad

Post by earbrain »

I've been trying to get my new iPad to recognize the Audio Express for audio and/or MIDI using the Apple camera connection kit and a recommended USB hub, but all I get is the message that my USB device is not compatible. I've tried everything. I can't find anything on compatibility here or elsewhere. Are MOTU interfaces just completely incompatible with iOS, iPads and iPhones, or is there some secret to getting them to work?
Mac Pro 8-core Woodcrest 16Gb RAM
Mac Pro Quad-core Nehalem 12 GB RAM
bralston

Re: MOTU Audio Express with the iPad

Post by bralston »

I can't imagine how that would work at this point. The hardware needs drivers installed to communicate with an OS and there is no way to do that in iOS without having it built unit the app that would be attempting to use the device. It is a closed system without the ability to really do that kind of thing without devices being made specifically for it.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Most devices require the installation of a driver in order to use them. Not familiar with the hardware you mentioned, but all of my MOTU boxes require drivers, and those are usually very specifically written for a particular OS and version. When MOTU puts out drivers for the iPad, then they will work for the iPad.

Meanwhile, if you want a simple audio interface for the iPad, I'm sure there are some out there. My Blue Yeti Pro microphone functions as an interface when it's plugged in, with a headphone jack and volume control knobs, as well as a mute button, not to mention its stereo mic. Works like a champ with Auria, PSP's fantastic new DAW for the iPad.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
earbrain

Post by earbrain »

There is this Web site: http://iosmidi.com/devices/

It lists various devices that work, but they're mostly just MIDI, although there are some audio interfaces. The site says that if a device is "class compliant," it should work with USB without drivers.
Mac Pro 8-core Woodcrest 16Gb RAM
Mac Pro Quad-core Nehalem 12 GB RAM
jacosmar

Post by jacosmar »

I've written a techlink, their answer is "send a suggestion", so I've sent two… No answer. I don't think an iOS driver is too much to ask. If they just said "no way" I'd look somewhere else. That's sad… :boohoo:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The older MOTU interfaces are likely not class compliant. I recently acquired an older version of the Micro Express MIDI interface for installation in my guitar effects rack and tried connecting my iPad with the Camera Connection Kit and it was a no-go. I suspect, however, that the newer version is class compliant. I'm tempted to get a new one for that reason, but I got a killer deal on the used one and iOS compatibility really isn't mandatory for what I'm using it for.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The site says that if a device is "class compliant," it should work with USB without drivers.
Since it won't work on a Mac or PC without USB drivers, I believe that answers all questions about "class compliance"

The answer is No.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro