strange hard drive corruption

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
baanes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

strange hard drive corruption

Post by baanes »

Hi all. I'm have a really wierd disk corruption issue that seems to revolve around DP and Speakerphone (Audio Ease). Running a late-2011 Macbook Pro, 10.7, DP 7.24. Everything is up to date.

After being installed for a several weeks or months, I gradually start having issues with DP crashing when I use Speakerphone in a project. After a crash, when ever I re-open my host without a clean re-boot, it will hang at the splash screen when it gets to "loading plugin: Speakerphone." At this point, if I ask disk utility to verify my volume, it presents numerous errors.

The first time I had the issue, I rebooted to the lion recovery partition and tried to repair my disk, but it was unable to, and after repair process my computer would not even boot. I took the computer to Apple who tested the hard drive and found no hardware issues, and re-imaged the drive. I reinstalled and restored from backup, and everything worked.

This problem started again a month later (only after working on another project with Speakerphone). This time, on a hunch, I deleted the speakerphone plugins before repairing my disk, and was able to successfully restore it. I then re-installed speakerphone, which worked fine, but started having the exact same problems now, 6 weeks later and about a week into the next project using this plugin. I have had no data loss or other hard drive issues, or problems with any software other than speakerphone under DP.

I've installed the latest PACE extensions from their website after the last issue, but they apparently didn't help.

This time around I deleted Speakerphone and was still unable to repair the disk, so I'm wiping it off and restoring and hoping I can get another week out of it (to finish current project), then will have apple replace the hard drive.

I never had any issues using Speakerphone under DP on OSX 10.6

This seems totally odd. I realize that it does not appear to be connected to Speakerphone, but I find it strange that I start having issues only with this software, and that deleting it allows me to repair my hard drive successfully.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: strange hard drive corruption

Post by mikehalloran »

>I realize that it does not appear to be connected to Speakerphone<

That is not how it appears to me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
baanes

Post by baanes »

agreed.

(missed a "necessarily" in there. sometimes i'm both tired AND verbose. )
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

To begin with, it's a good idea to post your setup. You'll notice that most of us have it in our signatures. It's a good idea to list any order plug-ins you have installed.

Noticeably absent from your description is the version of Speakerphone you are running. Frankly, I had not heard of it before - looks interesting.

One thing I have noticed in a search is that there are a number of complaints of v. 2.0.3 crashing Pro Tools 9.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
baanes

Post by baanes »

using speakerphone 2.0.3. mac os 10.7.3, dp 7.24, macbook pro late 2011 with 2.2ghz i7 and 8gb ram.

given that they are similar on many levels, i'm curious if altiverb users have had any issues?