crash city... custom window sets problem?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tomeaton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by tomeaton »

Greetings everyone-

I went into crash city yesterday as DP7.24 apparently suddenly took a disliking to my custom window set. Four hours of a session blown trying to recover including trashing prefs and all that, getting rid of the custom window set, re-installing dp, and on and on.

What was happening was that the mixer would show up in the left sidebar AND the main window at the same time, sometimes causing an immediate crash, sometimes not. Usually selecting the mixer from any section of the consolidated window clears the mixer from wherever it might have been, but I was getting multiple mixer instances... bizarre.

I ended up just avoiding the mixer altogether and using channel strip to go bit by bit through the mixes... not ideal, and I really don't think I've got the problem even vaguely figured out. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
daily performer user since 1987
dp 7.24 / macpro 2.26 eight core / 6 gigs ram / 10.6.8
pci 424 / 2408mkiii / 2x1296 / 308 / mtp-av/mtp2
apogee ad16x and 2xda16x / otari concept elite
and more keyboards than you can shake a stick at
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Always hated consolidated windows. No suggestion but to disable them.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Marc7777

Re: crash city... custom window sets problem?

Post by Marc7777 »

tomeaton wrote:but I was getting multiple mixer instances...
Man I WISH i could get multiple mixers!! ahh that's on my feature wish list!! (although minus the crashing part) hehe :lol:

It sounds like there's a bug in the prefs. One thing I had issues in when switching between window sets is that when my mixer was too big, it would really slow down the switch, and sometimes I got a crash. But my mixer had like 200+ channels in it..

When I reduced the size of the mixer, the window preset switching was really fast!

..not sure if this helps, but that's my 2 cents..

~Marc
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
tomeaton

Post by tomeaton »

Hmmm...

I've upgraded to 10.6.8, cleared everything MOTU from the drive, reinstalled the MOTU audio package and DP7.24 and still have the error. If I open the mixer in the left pane of the consolidated window (my default while working in the sequence window) and then flip the mixer to the main pane of the window (to see the whole mixer), the left pane freaks out and the next time I click in it DP hangs.

I swear I've worked this way forever... I can't possibly imagine what happened between my session monday where it all worked perfectly and my session on tuesday where everything fell apart.

Arggggghhh!!
tomeaton

Post by tomeaton »

This behavior happens in existing AND new projects, for the record. So it's not a corrupt project file kinda thing.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Since you've verified it's not DP, maybe it's an OSX problem with window management. Did you use the Combo updater to get to 10.6.8?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tomeaton

Post by tomeaton »

It happened in 10.6.6 yesterday and today, I used software update to go from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 today and had the same problem after the OS update.

I'm not sure how I've verified that it's NOT dp?

The crashes are not happening in other programs.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tomeaton wrote:It happened in 10.6.6 yesterday and today, I used software update to go from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 today and had the same problem after the OS update.

I'm not sure how I've verified that it's NOT dp?

The crashes are not happening in other programs.
Didn't you say you removed all MOTU files and reinstalled? That's why I'd said its not DP. I switch between sidebar, main window, and standalone mixers constantly and have never seen this problem. Since we are running identical code, I figured it must be something else on your system that is not on mine that is causing the problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
macguy

Post by macguy »

Any installs within that period? Kind of strange it just took a dump like that. I'd start up off the OSX disk and use disk utility and repair permissions and the drive, then run onyx and see what happens... I'd even reinstall DP again. Did you try disabling the plugs to see if it was a plugin doing it that you may not have used before until now in a larger session? I'd take ALL plugs out and restart DP and start adding 4 plugs at a time until the problem happens... then backtrack by removing one of the 4 that cause this anomaly until zeroed in on the problem plug. If you're lucky, you'll find it through process of elimination. Probably a plug you don't use all the time or maybe, just crashes when specific combinations of plugs are instantiated.
MIDI Life Crisis

And then there's this:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 88#p412288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

This has just started for me today. Any custom window set I select crashed DP. Repaired permission, killed the plist, ran maintenance scripts, verified disk, no luck.

Then I started up DP (for about the 9th time in a row) and used the mouse to select the factory window sets. They all worked. Held my breath, selected the custom sets and then they all worked again.

I wonder if there's a place where DP stores the custom sets and that list (or whatever it is) gets corrupted and needs to be rebuilt or something?

The error I got was: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:and used themes to select the factory window sets.
Would you explain that? Used themes... you selected a new theme? Then... selected a factory window set? Maybe you could explain the steps you took. If this happens to me, I want to have some course of action to fall back on.

Thanks,

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:and used themes to select the factory window sets.
Would you explain that?
It's call bad spell checking. It should be "used the mouse" but apparently the spell checker had different plans and I missed it. Sorry. So reiterate:

I used the mouse to select factory window sets and that seems to have "reset" how DP is looking at the custom window sets.

It might be that DP is loosing the path to the directory and crashing as I am also unable to save Xenon user presets. Then again, I'm also seeing intermittent window issues, like having two mixing boards open at the same time. Some would see that as a feature, but since DP doesn't usually allow it, it's a bug in my book. I'm on a dual monitor system and use the consolidated window. While I was having window set issues, any changes to any windows resulted in a crash, including going into full screen, closing the extra mixer, etc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:While I was having window set issues, any changes to any windows resulted in a crash, including going into full screen, closing the extra mixer, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of crash was it when you'd change a window? Was it the silent, sudden quit? Was it the spinning beach ball of death? A total freeze and lock? A violent display of bits fighting bytes and their resulting screen fireworks?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You say you removed everything MOTU. How? Did you run the uninstaller from a 7.24 disk?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro