DP 7.24 crashing... re open and Kontakt instances blank!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 7.24 crashing... re open and Kontakt instances blank!

Post by malditoyanki »

hrw wrote:Is it better to switch off the memory servers in Kontakt and Spectrasonics if they're being used in VE Pro which already accesses all your RAM?
Absolutely shut them off when using VEpro 64 bit server. They are unnecessary at best and likely will cause memory access conflicts.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by kinnylandrum »

Same thing happened to me today for the first time. I got a DP error message saying all the samples were missing (yikes!) but it turned out that was only true for Kontakt, and it was missing its patches as well. Fortunately I was only running four patches on four channels in one instance of Kontakt (with 4 more VIs). So I reloaded the programs and saved the project and continued on with mixing. Imagine my surprise when I opened the project up later to find Kontakt blank again. So I reloaded it and saved again and this time it took (I hope).

In my case, I suspect Session Drummer, which uses a LOT of samples. Maybe it was because I had two programs on two channels of the same kit (so I could bring up the cross-stick relative to the snare, which are on the same fader in the Session Drummer mixer). I don't know but I will keep watching this thread. If anybody finds a solution other than tediously remembering to save all your Kontakt multis (and save them again after any tweak) please let us know.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
nyplugin

Post by nyplugin »

I know, that's crazy! I have no idea why this happen and the worst thing is that apparently there's no solution!!! :shock:
MacOS 15 Sonoma - DP 11 - Mac Mini 2018 i7 2.3GHz - 64GB RAM
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Another one here who's seen that a lot. I don't use Session Pro Strings so definitely not the problem here. I have several instances of K5 and I usually have one that shows up empty when I reload the project sometimes 2.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

This happens to me too. I have multi's saved to reload but still..... I think it happens more often when DP is close to using 2 gigs of ram.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
dix

Post by dix »

I agree with that guess. I've noticed this annoying behavior more on larger projects with Omnisphere, Kontakt5 and Mach5 3. Going to the autosaved version, saving and then loading the multi into the the newer saved sequence works as a workaround, but it's important to check the VIs as soon as you reopen any crashed files right away - before Autosave creates a backup (with the vacant/empty VIs).
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
hrw

Post by hrw »

Yeah, sucks.
Just had a crash and re-opened project to find all my NI Massive instances with no pathes loaded!
Grrr...
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Same thing here, I got a crash using the abbey road drums spending a lot of time tweaking my sounds and when reopen the session Kontakt was blank! Honestly I don't want to use the damn kontakt anymore! :smash:
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
dix

Post by dix »

delcosmos wrote:Same thing here, I got a crash using the abbey road drums spending a lot of time tweaking my sounds and when reopen the session Kontakt was blank! Honestly I don't want to use the damn kontakt anymore! :smash:
Did you try my workaround (posted above)? That should have resurrected the k5 patch.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
zed

Post by zed »

kinnylandrum wrote:If anybody finds a solution other than tediously remembering to save all your Kontakt multis (and save them again after any tweak) please let us know.
As a matter of habit, because of DP issues of the past, and frustrating losses of work, I still save a backup copy of my projects every time I open them to do some work. It has saved my ass numerous times.

I recommend it. My process is to duplicate the current project file as a backup and then just add a date to the file name, and then continue working with the main project file. In the event that something goes wonky or presets go missing, I can always open up a previous state of the file to resolve issues. On some occasions presets have gone missing (like after trying to get started with an auto-saved version of the document). In that case I will just go back to a previous state and at that point save the Kontakt or other VI multi so that I can go back into the main project file and load the multi and restore the missing patches.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
nyplugin

Post by nyplugin »

It's a big problem because you cannot always save a multi with Kontakt, depends on the library copyright, It's a bummer! It's not Kontakt, it's definitively a DP issue...
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I just got LA Scoring Strings 2 and that has happened to me as well. Frustrating! Look at my specs below. I cannot wait for DP 8 64 bit nirvana! I want to use all of my RAM!! Bwaaaaaaaa!

:{
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
DPINCGK

Post by DPINCGK »

I've also had this bug, quite a bit with DP 7.24, K4, Omnisphere, and I've been getting around it by saving multis in K4. Once DP crashes, sometimes it will crash repeatedly when opening up the the sequence file. I've been able to fix that by creating a blank sequence, create instances on K4, Omnisphere and then close DP normally and reopen. This is a highly annoying bug. Please fix it MOTU!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

sponstage wrote:It's a big problem because you cannot always save a multi with Kontakt, depends on the library copyright
sponstage, are you talking about Kontakt Player of Kontakt Full? I'm using Kontakt Full 5.02 and have never had a problem saving a multi, no matter which library (or combination of libraries) I'm using?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
nyplugin

Post by nyplugin »

It happens with Kontakt full, don't know why.