MacOS error: Unexpected end of file (-39)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Psalm62_1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS error: Unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by Psalm62_1 »

Hello,
I am trying to open a file that was created on November 30th. If I remember correctly, the song only has 2 acoustic guitar tracks and a vocal track. It's a small file.

When I double clicked the DP file icon, the file does not open up in DP7 (which is the software version that I used to record the tracks). Instead, I get the following DP error message: :banghead:

"An error occurred while reading from the disk. The file (song title) was not loaded.
MacOS error: Unexpected end of file (-39)"

Has anyone else seen this error? Does anyone else know what I can do to either open the file or, at least, be able to get all the audio files and open them up in a new DP folder? Since the song has only a few instruments, I'm hoping that I can just take the audio files and open them up, arrange them and just discard the file causing the errors. Is this possible? If so, is there a way to load the audio files into the new Project in their original time stamps? In other words, I have two guitar tracks but, each had punches and were never comped before closing the folder that day. So, how do I import the guitar tracks into the new project and know where each segment goes? Is this making any sense to you all??? :oops:

Thank you!!!
MOTU 2408mk3, MOTU 24i/o, MOTU micro lite, Allen & Heath,T.C. Electronic Triple C Single Channel & Stereo Channel, ART Pro VLA (2), Grace 101, Summit Audio FeQ-50, other pre amps, compressors and FX units by Aphex, Alesis, DigiTech, Line 6, etc.. Groove Tubes, CAD, Shure, Sennheiser, EV, Oktava mics, Whirlwind, Monster and Pro Co cables.
Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 8 GB RAM running on OS10.6.8
Peak LE 5.2, Ampeg SVX, EZDrummer, EZKeys, Final Cut Express 4, Ethno Inst., MSI.
adriano

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by adriano »

Hello Psalm,

See this link:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... of+file+39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Psalm62_1

Post by Psalm62_1 »

adriano wrote:Hello Psalm,

See this link:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... of+file+39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adriano
Thank you for posting the link.
If I am reading the thread correctly, the person that has a similar experience that I am having, had this problem after updating DP. I too had just updated my DP from DP7.21 to DP7.22 right AFTER I had last worked on my song. However, I had worked on a few songs that day before the update and I have been able to open all those songs and work on them.

One other piece of information that I didn't mention was that I had originally created the project file on my main hard drive. When I was done working on it that day, I coped that file to another internal hard drive to have as a back up. A few days later, I opened the BACK-UP file and did all my punches to the guitar tracks on that BACK-UP file located on the other internal drive. I saved my work for the day on that file. The BACK-UP file on the other internal drive is the most recent file with all the punches and corrections. This is the file I need to be able to open.

If I am understanding the thread that you sent me to, the person opened DP from their Applications folder and then opened the "offending file" from there. I tried this. I went to my Applications folder, selected DP7.22 and double clicked on it. When it opened, I went to the File menu and selected OPEN. I then piloted DP to the project file on the 2nd internal disk (the back up with all the corrections) and selected that. I got the same "MacOS error... -39" message. I then thought, okay, I'll try the same exact thing except that I will go to the DP7.21 icon in my Applications folder and see if I can open it that way. Still, same thing, same error message.

Am I not understanding this correctly? :oops:

Thank you for all your help!!!!! :)
MOTU 2408mk3, MOTU 24i/o, MOTU micro lite, Allen & Heath,T.C. Electronic Triple C Single Channel & Stereo Channel, ART Pro VLA (2), Grace 101, Summit Audio FeQ-50, other pre amps, compressors and FX units by Aphex, Alesis, DigiTech, Line 6, etc.. Groove Tubes, CAD, Shure, Sennheiser, EV, Oktava mics, Whirlwind, Monster and Pro Co cables.
Peak LE 5.2, Ampeg SVX, EZDrummer, EZKeys, Final Cut Express 4, Ethno Inst., MSI.
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello again, Psalm.

Try adding a ".perf" extensions (without the quotes) after the name of the file. Try to open it and if it works just do a SAVE AS.

Adriano

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Psalm62_1

Post by Psalm62_1 »

adriano wrote:Hello again, Psalm.

Try adding a ".perf" extensions (without the quotes) after the name of the file. Try to open it and if it works just do a SAVE AS.

Adriano
Thank you, Adriano.

I truly appreciate your help with this.... VERY much!
I did as you said, I added the extension ".perf" after the name of the file. The Mac asked me if I wanted to add that extension, I clicked yes and it added it. I then closed out of that window. Went into my Applications folder, clicked on DP7.22, then to the File, then Open, piloted to the newly named (added extension) file and clicked open.

I got the same error message....... :banghead:

I'm curious, what is the ".perf" extension?

Also, do you have any other ideas?

Thank you VERY much for all your help with this!!!!!!!! :headbang:
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hi Psalm.
Try with the ".prf" instead and see what happens.
I had the same issue a while ago and what I suggested to you was what was given to me by James Steele then and it worked.

Here is the link of that discussion:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another suggestion would be to repair permissions on both drives and see if that fixes the problem.

Good luck,
Adriano

adriano

Post by adriano »

Another option to try is disable all plugins when starting DP, hold the option key.

Psalm62_1

Post by Psalm62_1 »

adriano wrote:Another option to try is disable all plugins when starting DP, hold the option key.
Thank you, Adriano.

Well, I've tried each of the new ideas that you have given me. Again, I appreciate you help with this. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error message. I've tried with the extension changes that you mentioned, I've tried with the extension changes PLUS disabling the plugins, I've also tried disabling the plugins with No extension. I've even tried opening it up under 7.21 with all the variations listed above. :banghead: This is sooooo frustrating.

I still need to read the original link you just sent me from James. However, so far, I feel like I've been :deadhorse: ..........
Oh, I forgot to mention, I repair my permissions on the main drive and use the Disk Utility on my other drive as well on a weekly basis. I don't remember doing any Mac updates recently. However, I did have an iTunes update a few days ago. I can't imagine that is the cause of this particular issue.....

Thanks again for all your help, my friend!!
If I come up with a solution (basically, I HAVE to come up with a solution), I will be sure to let you know. :D

Hope you're not getting all the snow that we are in upstate, NY or, if you are, I hope you're a big fan!
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hi Psalm and sorry for not getting this issue resolved, I know it can get frustrating at times.
About the snow, we got quite a bit and I love it. It inspires me even more, I guess because I was born in the car in 10 FT of snow 42 years ago :)

Psalm, I hope you get this issue resolved and get back to work.
Best of luck to you,

Adriano

GCBASS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by GCBASS »

ERROR -39 with 7.22 (7.22 won’t open or load file not save as 7.22)

I find a solution:

A NEW TRICK!
By this you will know that error 39 is not related to plug ins, or special
way of using DP 7.22
I just discorver that any file (dp file of course) that 7.22
won't open by indicating error -39

YOU JUST NEED TO AD TO THE END OF NAME OF THE FILE .AUTOSAVE
and it will open
the same file that won't open now do!

ex.: P-Lessons in love.mid (7.22 give a error -39)
same file with ad: P-Lessons in love.mid.autosave (now 7.22 will open it)

and with that now the logo icone DP stamp will appear
with the new name of the file instead of MIDI

Weird! YES -but work-Good day
Psalm62_1

Post by Psalm62_1 »

GCBASS wrote:ERROR -39 with 7.22 (7.22 won’t open or load file not save as 7.22)

I find a solution:

A NEW TRICK!
By this you will know that error 39 is not related to plug ins, or special
way of using DP 7.22
I just discorver that any file (dp file of course) that 7.22
won't open by indicating error -39

YOU JUST NEED TO AD TO THE END OF NAME OF THE FILE .AUTOSAVE
and it will open
the same file that won't open now do!

ex.: P-Lessons in love.mid (7.22 give a error -39)
same file with ad: P-Lessons in love.mid.autosave (now 7.22 will open it)

and with that now the logo icone DP stamp will appear
with the new name of the file instead of MIDI

Weird! YES -but work-Good day
Thank you, GCBASS. I tried this and it did not work. I'm still glad you posted it as it may work for someone else. :D
marco conti

Post by marco conti »

thanks for the "autosave"solution! :D
Changing the extension from "tune.mid" to "tune.mid.autosave" does work.
I found that any MIDI file saved with Dp (previous dp 7.22)has this problem but not all MIDI files.
Other solution is to just remove the .mid extension.
Good music
marco
DP7. macPro 2.8 doubleProc. 6Gb ram.motu 1296/2408 mkIII,MIDI express XT,Powercore TC, uad-2. "El & Acoustic Bass player". Italy
adriano

Post by adriano »

Ciao Marco, come va?

It was indeed a solution which worked for me also, but didn't work for everyone.

What you suggested at the end about removing the ".mid" from the file name, did not work for me, in the past, but I've learned now, to only add the ext. when I'm ready to export the file otherwise, just name the project file in case new updates are released.

Anyway, da quale citta' stai scrivendo?

Adriano

heyitsjimi

Post by heyitsjimi »

Oh Crap, it happened again.
I don't have, or can't find, ".mid" at the end of anything.
I have my Songs/Projects on one external drive, my instrument libraries on another.
When I start a new project, I open a new file, name it, and save it on the Songs/Projects drive.
It only has the name I give it, like "Mud", for instance. That song has the name Mud ... no ".mid" anywhere.
Last night I was working on a song and my 2 of my instrument plugins started acting weird. I quit DP without saving ( I didn't want to possibly save the weirdness). I restarted the computer and it came up saying one of my drives (that I wasn't even using on the project) was messed up. I erased it, reformatted and went to bed while I did a restore from a back up.
This morning, that drive checked out fine. I then tried to open up the song I was working on and got that damned -39 error again. I know, in retrospect, I should have done a "save as", but I was tired and didn't think.
Am I missing something ? I unfortunately don't have the computer smarts that most of you guys possess. Has anybody contacted MOTU about this ? If not, I guess I'll give it shot, but I hate showing off my ignorance.
I'm so bummed. I've put a lot of time into this and was right at the point where I was going to start bouncing my virtual instruments.
DP 7.24, MacBook Pro/2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 /1 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
MOTU MTPAV, EWQL SO Gold, SD2, Gypsy, Spectrasonics Trilian, XLN Audio Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys, IK Total Workstation, AmpliTube 3, Ampeg SVX, T RackS3, CSR, NI B4 II, Yellow Tools Ind. Pro, and etc, etc ..other reverbs,delays, phasers, chorus,comps, etc. Mostly ancient synths, digital piano, mixer, outboard fx, controllers....yadayada
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

heyitsjimi wrote:Oh Crap, it happened again.
Try going to Finder>Preferences>Advanced and see if "Show all filename extensions" is checked. See if that enables you to see the .mid extension.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31