Hardware playthru level bug ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hardware playthru level bug ?

Post by Klaus »

Could anybody please confirm :
DP 7 direct hardware playthru, works but :
fader readout and actual level is 2:1, i.e.
lowering level in DP by 20 dB gives 10 dB less level, etc.
The faders have to be very low...

896mk3
maybe other interfaces too ?

Thanks

Klaus
Shooshie

Re: Hardware playthru level bug ?

Post by Shooshie »

I haven't tried it, so I'm commenting blind here. Just wanted to say that up front, so you'd know I'm guessing and not telling how it is.

But what I'm wondering is whether it has to do with the settings in CueMix. have you checked your CueMix faders, trim, or master? Hardware Playthrough is basically working off of CueMix if I understand it correctly.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Yes, Cuemix FX has only the 'master' faders up...
Trim ?
There is no software trim on the 896mk3 analog inputs..
All inputs are down at zero.
You could connect a cable from an output to an input and see the level
on this input fader, it has to be full up...in Cuemix FX
The fact that the actual monitoring level in DP is exactly half of the fader setting makes me believe this is a 'number crunching bug'

Thanks

Klaus
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Nobody using DP for multitracking 'mixerless' and not wanting to use Cuemix FX, but DP's auto input feature ?
I want to have the rec monitormix the same as when these tracks get played back...
....actual rec monitoring level in DP ( hardware playthru ) is exactly half of the fader setting,
but playback level *is* like the fader setting...the mix / tack level differs by 2:1 from recording to playback.

Please some kind soul confirm it, so I know it's not my rigs

Thanks

Klaus

:)
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Klaus,

I don't use MOTU hardware (I use RME), so this is probably not at all helpful. All I can tell you is what you're describing is not happening here on my system. I couldn't imagine dealing with that.

Are there settings in the driver for that unit that somehow got changed? Or maybe something in Audio MIDI Setup got changed? I just don't know.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Dan,
are you saying DP supports direct hardware playthru with 'non MotU' hardware ?
I have MotU hardware, and am talking about that combination...
DP 'talks' to the interface, but doesn't route / mix the audio itself with hardware playthru,
...as far as I heard...

There must be users with 896mk3 and DP 7 out there...
who could test and confirm

Thanks

Klaus
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Klaus wrote:Dan,
are you saying DP supports direct hardware playthru with 'non MotU' hardware ?
Ah, no, sorry, got confused. I use TotalMix (RME's equivalent to CueMix).

Hope you find the answer. Sorry for the confusion.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Klaus wrote:Nobody using DP for multitracking 'mixerless' and not wanting to use Cuemix FX, but DP's auto input feature ?
I want to have the rec monitormix the same as when these tracks get played back...
....actual rec monitoring level in DP ( hardware playthru ) is exactly half of the fader setting,
but playback level *is* like the fader setting...the mix / tack level differs by 2:1 from recording to playback.

Please some kind soul confirm it, so I know it's not my rigs

Thanks

Klaus

:)
I can't believe nobody is multitracking with DP...
:shake:
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

Just tested on my 896HD and I have the same thing as you describe. Interested to know how to fix that.....
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Yes, needs to be fixed ASAP

We should be able to work mixerless and 'only' with DP ( no Cuemix if one owns DP )

TIA MotU

Klaus
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

Klaus,
you had asked me some months back about this bug.. well I finally got off the road and started a new record and I can report I'm not having this bug.. PCIe-424, Two 24I/O units, 48 in, 48 out, @ 96k, no CueMix, just the Auto Playthru feature on a SSD drive.. I have other issues under Lion, with 7.24, namely the click and any MIDI does not work reliably, along with disappearing outputs in Audio MIDI Setup... All kinds of stoping, stuttering, and quitting. But the tracks seem to play thru fine, tracking and on playback. Audio only works great.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

mrgkeys wrote:Klaus,
you had asked me some months back about this bug.. well I finally got off the road and started a new record and I can report I'm not having this bug.. PCIe-424, Two 24I/O units, 48 in, 48 out, @ 96k, no CueMix, just the Auto Playthru feature on a SSD drive.. I have other issues under Lion, with 7.24, namely the click and any MIDI does not work reliably, along with disappearing outputs in Audio MIDI Setup... All kinds of stoping, stuttering, and quitting. But the tracks seem to play thru fine, tracking and on playback. Audio only works great.
Thank you mrgkeys for reporting !
So...
PCIe based hardware is ruled out ( this hardware playthru bug relates to firewire -
mk3 hardware, and DP 7's way of remotely dialing in into these boxes... )
Any more confirmations of this ?

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 74#p376108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best

Klaus
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Klaus, I set up a simple 440 sine wave routed to Analog 5&6 on my 828 Mk3. All settings in Cuemix at 0 db and input trim at +22. With direct hardware play-through on in DP 7.24, this put all the meters in both Cuemix and DP to slightly above -3db. Changes to the final output levels on the K2000 were properly reflected on the meters in both apps. With Cuemix shut down, DP still showed -3db. I recorded and played back the sine wave, and in DP the channel and master both showed -3db. Same playback levels show on Cuemix when it is relaunched.

So, as far as I can see, every meter in both Cuemix and DP shows the same level on the 828Mk3
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Sorry, to be clear :
Hardware playthru level *at unity gain* ( DP faders at *0* will produce the same level on input monitoring and playback.
But I'm talking about lower channelfader settings...
Please *lower* the channel fader and record, then playback and compare the level between recmonitor and playback, with this *lower* channel fader setting.
The recmonitor level should be half the dBs of the playback level, with mkIII interfaces, at least with 896mk3

Please try out on your 828mk3

Thank you

Klaus
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

OK, recorded the same signal showing input levels at -3 with fader at zero, -3 and -6. Monitors on playback, and visual inspection in the waveform editors shows the playback at -3, -6 and -9.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8