My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It can. I think it has to be done as a mouse recording but those are pretty easy to create. I believe they can be both window and screen relative.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

That's easy to do when menu positions are static, but the info bars are always morphing and moving around...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:That's easy to do when menu positions are static, but the info bars are always morphing and moving around...
You don't have to literally mouse it. You do it always in relation to a corner of a window that's always going to be open. In the Consolidated Windows, it's a little different. There's an offset. I forget what it involves, as I haven't made one of those in about 4 years, but you figure out where it's hitting, figure out the difference between the hit and the target, then incorporate that into the x,y coordinates. Then it'll hit the target every time. DP is reporting different window coordinates than the actual screen coordinates, because of the Consolidated Windows frame. It's solvable. I figured it out in about 20 minutes, then I had the offset coordinates for all time… but since I didn't use them again, I forgot even where I stored all of that. But it's doable. And when you really want a key, that's the way to go.

But isn't there a keyboard command in DP for that? It goes by another name, but it does the same thing. Am I remembering things that never were? (Honestly, I do that sometimes) I could have sworn…

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

What might be a better solution is if clicking on a soundbite automatically made a selection ranged from its length. Right now it just highlights it.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I might be confused, isn’t this what happens when you double click with the selector tool? Same as in Pro Tools.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Indeed it does, bongo. Thanks for that. However, this works only in the Sequence Editor, not the Tracks Overview. I am always in Smart Tool mode, so I have to switch to the Range Selector to get this to work.

I think clicking a soundbite should always create a range selection for its length, or the length of several selected bites. Pro Tools works like this.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

If you press ctrl-command-E, DP will display the selected Track's SBs in the GE with the correct zoom to show the longest selected one. I do this often and it works great!

I'm not near DP ( :!: ), so I can't confirm the shortcut, but I think it is like that.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

In Pro Tools double click with the selector selects the soundbite and sets the selection length, but triple click selects the whole track. I’d like to see that.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

In the DP preferences, go to Tools (I think), and you'll find the options for selection:
• Range Only
• Events Only
• Both Range and Events

If you want a range selection every time, choose Range Only… and so forth.

There are other ways to convert a selection to Range, but I won't go into that right now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

These are all valid options. However, I've been in "All Selections" mode since it was available so many years ago. Having to switch tools just to choose events or ranges makes me feel like I'm in another app. The QuickKeys idea won't work, because the mini menu is a moving target within the window, not just on the screen. I still think the best solution would be either....

1. Give "Set to Selection Bounds" an assignable keystroke

or

2. Allow an option to have *event* selections automatically set to a *range* selection as well.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Double clicking an event with the "I" tool will make a time selection.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Dwetmaster wrote:Double clicking an event with the "I" tool will make a time selection.
Only in the Sequence Editor... I still do a crazy amount of work in the Tracks Overview.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Found a workaround for this problem. After clicking on a soundbite, I just "Move Selection Down" then move it right back up (shift-command down-up arrow on my system). It changes immediately to a range selection.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

amplidood wrote:Found a workaround for this problem. After clicking on a soundbite, I just "Move Selection Down" then move it right back up (shift-command down-up arrow on my system). It changes immediately to a range selection.
That's my workaround, too. Shoosh actually turned me onto that about two years ago. In the SE I hold down the "I" key and double click the soundbite. I didn't know about that trick until last year.

I completely agree that "Set To Selection Bounds" needs to have an assignable key command. I've asked for this in the past. It just seems so odd that it doesn't have one. Glad to see someone else cares about it.
DP10.13
Booter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Booter »

There is a command called Set Memory to Selection. Isn't that what you're looking for?
Digital Performer 2.7 - 8.0, Logic 9, PT 8, MacBook Pro Core i7 16 gig, Quad Mac Pro 6 gig, Mac Mini 2 gig, Roland XP-50, Kurzweil K2000, MOTU 2408 MK3, MOTU Mach 5 II, Ethno