My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by amplidood »

A list to be added to over time.

In the Mixing Board, wouldn't it be nice...

...if we could have channel strip settings update the previous save file without having to navigate to it every time.
Every time I want to save a channel strip setup, I have to navigate to where the file is stored. I have settings organized by artist and song. This is a lot of digging around when all I want to do is update a channel strip file I've already created. A couple of ways to handle this...

1. Make the "Save" function work like it does in the File menu, and add a "Save As" option to create new files.
2. Add a little disc icon button next to the strip pop-up to update the file, or option-click to create a new one.

...if we could access all types of channel strips from the menu.
I'd like to be able to apply a chain I created for an Aux to an Audio track all the time. I can't access the Aux settings from and Audio track, however. I have to go and manually save it into in the Audio track presets first. Maybe access to all the folders could be at the bottom of the menu, or in a submenu.

...if all sends defaulted to OFF instead of zero db when creating a new track/aux.
Yes, I think it would. I am *forever* turning those suckers down for every track I make. Yes, I know there are many ways of doing multiples, but I don't feel like reorganizing the mixer list every time I want to do this.

...if we could assign multiple sends simultaneously, as we can track ins/outs (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send one by one. Why not add this option to the already-existent Track assignment dialog box?

...if there could be mutiple channel strips and mixer windows.
Even if there were just the ability to have a mixer in the consolidated window and another outside it simultaneously, I would be happy.

...if the Mixing Board would not respond to selections from other windows.
If the Mixing Board is closed, and you have some tracks selected in an edit window, the mixer will only show those tracks when opened. Don't know when I'd need that feature.

DP 8 feature. Thanks MOTU!

...if we could stop the mixer from automatically creating a new insert slot when the last one is filled.
This makes it nearly impossible to keep you mixer configuration consistent. I'm always having to go in and change the number of slots back to what I want.

Concerning the Edit windows, wouldn't it be nice if...

...if "Set to Selection Bounds" (in the Info Bar 'Selection' mini menu) could have an assignable keystroke.
When working with audio, I'm constantly clicking on a soundbite and having to go the Selection mini-menu in the Info Bar. This is a function that doesn't have a regular menu equivalent, so I can't use anything I know of to make my own shortcut key. Another viable solution would be an option (or default behavior) to have *event* selections automatically be given a range as well.

...if copying and pasting automation between tracks could be handled intelligently.
Rather than have an automation point do a long slope down or up to a new pasted point, it would be great to have 'safety' break points inserted automatically to protect what's already on the track.

...if crossfade parameters could be fine tuned a bit.
Crossfading is now so fast and smooth in its actual processing that I have no complaints at all there. What *is* a problem, however, is that the default curves at the front and end of soundbites are not what they should be. They should be mirror opposites, and right now that's not what happens. Also, being able to generate fades *without* dealing with the dialog box would be great. Would require a "Default Fades" setup (like another DAW i won't mention).
EDIT: S-Curve fades happen the correct way, but normal curves don't.

...if MIDI scrubbing could be disabled.
I've talked about this for about 5 years now, or longer. I've even brainstormed about the best method to accomplish this. I think I screamed a time or two as well as my headphones/speakers were nearly turned into confetti. But such is life. I came up with a pretty decent solution to this problem a while ago....
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=38832

...if the data overview for folders could be turned OFF, or always look like there is just one track.
I rather enjoyed the look of this feature when I had just one VI track per folder, but then the cluster-hump of multiple tracks happened. I was sad.

...if MIDI could be treated like audio, with controllable regions. MIDIBites? NoteBites? NoteBlocks? MIDIBlocks?
Having MIDI data treated like audio data would be amazing. Visually and functionally.

...if we could have full Track Folder control in the new Contextual Menus.
We can create new ones from there, but can't remove or delete them. Digging into that 2 menu deep, non-resizable dialog seems a bit unnecessary.

...if track folders weren't automatically included when using the "View Selection in Sequence Editor" command.
I didn't highlight anything from any track folders. Don't assume I'm going to want to peek in any of those.

DP 8 now remembers which folders you've de-selected. Thanks MOTU!

Overall in DP, wouldn't it be nice...

...if we could control the default naming of tracks and projects.
I don't want the word "Project" added to my sessions anymore. I also would like more specific and usable names for tracks. I actually started doing this in my mods, but MOTU (for now) has removed the ability to supercede certain .xml files.

...if plugin windows could be made to float.
This is obviously not hard to do, since the Control Panel can now do this (which is brilliant and much appreciated.) Speaking of that, wouldn't it be nice if...

...if the floating Control Panel option actually stayed afloat.
This actually works fine till you flip out of DP, then back in. Then, it's back to a non-floating CP. I've not found any way to keep it floating.

...if the Strip Silence function used a decibel threshold instead of a percentage.
The percentage setting has never made sense to me and there's no way to ever get to a workable sensitivity. Audio is always getting cut off when it shouldn't.

...if contextual menus were available all over DP (via right-click)
I can't think of a single DAW that doesn't have this in some form. Maybe customizable too for different windows.

DP 7.2 feature. Thanks MOTU!
Last edited by amplidood on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 am, edited 74 times in total.
bayswater

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy.

Post by bayswater »

Agree on #s 2,3,4, but don't understand #1. If there is no destination for the send, why does it matter what the send level is? If there is a destination, you wouldn't want it set to Off.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

There's not a studio in the world that requires interns to set sends to unity when zeroing out a mixing console. They are to be turned all the way down, same as faders. I don't want to start out messing with a reverb/ delay send at unity. Makes no sense.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

6.- We could assign more than one send at a time, just like we can assign a lot of tracks to an output (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send to an output one by one. Why not add this option to the already-existent Track assignment dialog box?

+ 10000000000 to your number one request!
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Thanks FM...agreed. Added.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

amplidood wrote:There's not a studio in the world that requires interns to set sends to unity when zeroing out a mixing console. They are to be turned all the way down, same as faders. I don't want to start out messing with a reverb/ delay send at unity. Makes no sense.

If I remember right, in older versions the default level for assigned Sends used to be off, and many people didn't like that. How about a preference so we can set the default level of assigned Sends to what we're each comfortable with? For instance, I prefer -15dB.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Tim

Post by Tim »

amplidood wrote: I don't want to start out messing with a reverb/ delay send at unity. Makes no sense.
Yeah. Just dbl click to set it at unity.
Either way, no matter where it defaults to, I'm gonna need to tweak it anyway.
BobK

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy. (1st post updat

Post by BobK »

amplidood wrote:6. We could assign more than one send at a time, just like we can assign a lot of tracks to an output (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send to an output one by one. Why not add this option to the already-existent Track assignment dialog box?
Yes! I've asked for this (via MOTU's suggestion box) and mentioned it here for years.

And I agree with all your other requests too.

Here's another: MIDI regions, MIDI Soundbites, whatever you want to call 'em: Groups of MIDI data that can be named, locked and unlocked, edited and moved around in blocks. Yes, you can already move around blocks of MIDI data in the TO - but only in the TO, with no naming, locking/unlocking, etc. You could select the MIDI region for editing by clicking on it like a soundbite. Seems like a lot of other DAWs have something like this (PT calls them MIDI regions, for example).
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BobK wrote:Yes, you can already move around blocks of MIDI data in the TO - but only in the TO, with no naming, locking/unlocking, etc.
Agreed. DP supposedly does "smart blocks", but I haven't found them that smart, though. They never seem to be what you want, only a couple of clumsy pre-defined ways to show blocks in the TO.

Being able to name, color-code and lock/unlock these optional MIDI regions freely would be SO GREAT, and also DP would stop being the only DAW on the planet that still doesn't offer the possibility of having them.

I used to be able to do this in Cakewalk years ago. Seeing color-coded regions was great for orchestrating. You can see the balance of the music's components at a glance this way (melody instruments red, counter-melody instruments blue, background instrument stuff green, additional background elements gray, etc.).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

It would be nice if I can click and drag the order of inserts. I like to try different chains and switching them, but you can just make insert 1 be insert 3 etc...

.... or am I missing a magic key? :roll:
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

draudio2u wrote:It would be nice if I can click and drag the order of inserts. I like to try different chains and switching them, but you can just make insert 1 be insert 3 etc...

.... or am I missing a magic key? :roll:
I think so...

You can move the plug-ins within an insert freely. You could also use the new Presets function to recall and manipulate entire chains. This is such a COOL new feature!

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I'd love to see right-click contextual menus in DP, like Pro Tools has.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

666 wrote:I'd love to see right-click contextual menus in DP, like Pro Tools has.
... like MachFive has too. They obviously know how to do it!

Also, PLEASE MOTU, let us have DP automatically finding and snapping to the nearest Zero-cross-point when editing SBs and fades! MachFive does this too, so I see no reason for DP (the flagship app) not doing this.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Might be nice if tracks didn't always default to movement by predetermined grid (quarter notes usually?). Also, if tracks could be set to have automation ON as a default.

Maybe?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:There's not a studio in the world that requires interns to set sends to unity when zeroing out a mixing console. They are to be turned all the way down, same as faders. I don't want to start out messing with a reverb/ delay send at unity. Makes no sense.
I think there was a time when they were set at zero. I was very happy to see them go to Unity. It doesn't matter what all the interns in all the world's studios do. That's basically a different world, and they're saving tubes and circuits by doing that. If you're mixing out of the box, then I understand your wish, but with the trend being to mix ITB, Unity is a good choice. This saves me a lot of steps, a lot of clicking. Of course, you can set sends to be included in temporary groups, then you only have to do it once. It's pretty fair logic that if we invoke a send, we want the sound. Since we control that sound from a fader, the send knob is secondary. I wouldn't be against a preference to default sends to zero or unity, but for my 2 cents, I say leave 'em at Unity.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|