My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy. (1st post updat

Post by amplidood »

thethethediamondz wrote:i don't have a problem with the send gain, more than half the time i use sends it's for parallel compression anyways, so it seems like a convenience having it set to unity. i'm also thinking in terms of insert effects, those are all applied to a unity gain signal, no? i'm assuming that everyone who is wishing for zero gain is mostly using sends for reverb busses and such.

great thread, even just for making me go back and take the time to investigate those options.
Thanks man. Threads like these actually do make a difference with MOTU (occasionally). Parallel compression is a relatively new technique, and I do know people are using it more. I think that's why people are asking for a preference for -infinity or unity. Would save everyone a lot of useless knob twirling.

Also, check out my MacDaddy blog (http://www.andyselby.com/macdaddy_blogs ... spark.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for an app that helps deal with any key command shortcomings you run into on your system. It's really easy and works great.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

We would like to see the ability to 'marquee' around several channels in the mixer window and then be able to make just those chosen ones narrow.

This would make it nice to thin all the drum trks in a drum group while keeping the drum subs and drums wet auxes full width. We would also use it for narrowing the actual BV trks while keeping the BV Sub Aux and BV Wet Aux wide.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

amplidood wrote:Also, check out my MacDaddy blog (http://www.andyselby.com/macdaddy_blogs ... spark.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for an app that helps deal with any key command shortcomings you run into on your system. It's really easy and works great.
I could never find a way of getting to the mini menus in DP with Spark.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
labman

Post by labman »

We were originally major Quickeys users here, then moved to iKey for some reason about 4 years ago. Are you only using SPark for menus Andy?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

labman wrote:We were originally major Quickeys users here, then moved to iKey for some reason about 4 years ago. Are you only using SPark for menus Andy?
I've never really felt the need for macros. For me it seemed some variable in a repeated action was always changing, and no macro could ever anticipate it all. Setting my own shortcuts for menu items not included in an app's available commands has always been necessary, however.

Plus, Spark is free :dance:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:
labman wrote:We were originally major Quickeys users here, then moved to iKey for some reason about 4 years ago. Are you only using SPark for menus Andy?
I've never really felt the need for macros. For me it seemed some variable in a repeated action was always changing, and no macro could ever anticipate it all. Setting my own shortcuts for menu items not included in an app's available commands has always been necessary, however.

Plus, Spark is free :dance:
QuicKeys has a problem these days which can cause subtle things to happen for which people will always blame DP. I've talked about it extensively in other threads, but this one was the original thread where we actually tracked it down and found a work-around for it. The problem is much better now on later versions of OSX, but it still happens, and only when QK is open. So, I keep it closed most of the time unless I know I'm going to be needing something it provides me that can't be done any other way. I keep updating QuicKeys, but they haven't found the problem yet. Maybe they're not aware of it. I should write them. I used to beta test for Smartly, the company that bought QK and released it for OSX. (It's really the employees of the company that originally made it. They took it off the hands of the guy who owned CE Technologies, the original maker of QK, who apparently didn't want to deal with the terrible mess that OSX made of their API's. QK was horrible for a version or two after OSX came along, and my beta-testing was part of the slow process of getting it back on track.)

Anyway, when QK runs without flaw again, I'll welcome it back, because I love macros. If something changes in DP, I just go change it in the macro. Usually takes about a minute. The savings in frustration are well worth it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:Anyway, when QK runs without flaw again, I'll welcome it back, because I love macros. If something changes in DP, I just go change it in the macro. Usually takes about a minute. The savings in frustration are well worth it.
Shooshie
Maybe take a look at iKey Shooshie. It runs fine here with DP. Though we didnt build near the complex macros that we had in Quickeys.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Late to the party...
wouldn't it be nice to have this one fixed...
(hardware playthru level bug )
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=44574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best to all

Klaus
thethethediamondz

Post by thethethediamondz »

this is a confusing one for me, i've read this thread before and i'm not doubting the situation on your end, but i've never noticed this to happen.

and it seems like the kind of thing that would be really noticeable. it seems like there are other factors that are coming into play. which doesn't make it less of a problem for u or for the stability of DP and/or the MOTU interface products. i've always meant to follow this up and figure out what u guys were talking about.

i use a 828mk3 tho, it seems the only person who can co-miserate is on an 896 also.

this is a major problem tho if i understand what u mean. has MOTU responded to u?
just hearing about it and from my own experiences, i would either blame an oversight in how i set up Cuemix (which i don't really use) or possibly a defect in my interface.
mac pro intel 8 core, 2.26 GHz,
8GB memory,
Mavericks
DP8.07
828 mkiii, Burl Bomber AD, UAD2, abbey road, voxengo, airwindows, novation nocturn, soundtoys, Akai MPK-88, Ramsa WR-T820
VIs - U-HE Ace, Zebra 2, Bazille
=(^._.^)=
thethethediamondz

Post by thethethediamondz »

also the the one last 'wouldn't it be nice' thing i can think of is the way DP handles latency on busses.

i don't have a grasp on it yet, i've read the big threads on it here and i'm not really satisfied that it makes sense. it seems like sometimes i get a problem and other times i don't. and that sometimes deleting a buss in my Bundles windows fixes it, but i feel for no reason that i understand.

if it's a problem with the plug reporting latency, we would have a list of plugs that did this incorrectly and the problem would be absolutely repeatable every time. i'll admit that i'm not the most scientific of thinkers sometimes when i'm in the middle of mixing stuff and i'm just basically pushing stuff and moving stuff around real quick, trying this and deleting that until i can get something to work for the moment. so i might be coming from a memory of hearsay and superstition basically.

it seems like something doesn't add up about it tho, and everytime i instantiate a buss in DP, i'm crossing my fingers about flamming. and i worry that sometimes it might be below the level of what i notice and might be deteriorating things that i blame on other things or that i just take to be part of the process of mixing ITB.

i've noticed too with VI's that a couple times i've seemed to have gotten corrupted connections and that it seems i've had to change the buss to something new to stop the behavior i didn't like. again, i should be more specific, but i really can't. i can't remember what happened in a true, scientific manner. but the buss latency thing is definitely something i've experienced a few times, and it'd be nice not to.

(DP is the only DAW i've ever used so i have no frame of reference as to if anything else handles this better or worse. it might simply be part of recording on computers. and i'd like to add, i'm not unhappy with DP. i actually absolutely love using it and any problems i've come across are at the very most at least as frustrating as problems i've had recording with tape, mixing boards and rack gear. )
mac pro intel 8 core, 2.26 GHz,
8GB memory,
Mavericks
DP8.07
828 mkiii, Burl Bomber AD, UAD2, abbey road, voxengo, airwindows, novation nocturn, soundtoys, Akai MPK-88, Ramsa WR-T820
VIs - U-HE Ace, Zebra 2, Bazille
=(^._.^)=
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Are you saying that
lowering the channel fader ( during hardware playthru - input monitor - ) by 10 dB will actually reduce the input monitor level by 10 dB, not only 5 dB ?
I heard others say that monitoring *at zero* wouldn't be a problem, you have to lower the faders by an amount...
the resulting actual monitor level will be lowered only by half this amount...
Could other 828mk3 and 895mk3 users please test, so we could narrow down to a 896mk3 specific problem, please

Thank you

and yes, I sent suggestions to MotU...

Thanks

Klaus

thethethediamondz wrote:this is a confusing one for me, i've read this thread before and i'm not doubting the situation on your end, but i've never noticed this to happen.

and it seems like the kind of thing that would be really noticeable. it seems like there are other factors that are coming into play. which doesn't make it less of a problem for u or for the stability of DP and/or the MOTU interface products. i've always meant to follow this up and figure out what u guys were talking about.

i use a 828mk3 tho, it seems the only person who can co-miserate is on an 896 also.

this is a major problem tho if i understand what u mean. has MOTU responded to u?
just hearing about it and from my own experiences, i would either blame an oversight in how i set up Cuemix (which i don't really use) or possibly a defect in my interface.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

15. ...if we could have channel strip settings update the previous save file without having to navigate to it every time.
labman

Post by labman »

amplidood wrote:15. ...if we could have channel strip settings update the previous save file without having to navigate to it every time.
Whatcha mean Andy? Please describe.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

labman wrote:Whatcha mean Andy? Please describe.
Every time I want to save a channel strip setup, I have to navigate to where the file is stored. I have settings organized by artist and song. This adds up to a lot of digging around when all I want to do is update a channel strip file I've already created. A couple of ways to handle this...

1. Make the "Save" function work like it does in the File menu, and add a "Save As" option to create new files.
2. Add a little disc icon button next to the strip pop-up to update the file with, or option-click to create a new one.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

16. ...if we could stop the mixer from automatically creating a new insert slot when the last one is filled.
This makes it nearly impossible to keep you mixer configuration consistent. I'm always having to go in and change the number of slots back to what I want.