My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by Dan Worley »

amplidood wrote:What might be a better solution is if clicking on a soundbite automatically made a selection ranged from its length. Right now it just highlights it.
I think that would cause trouble. It would for me, anyway. The reason we can move soundbites around without having to move time-range events around is because there is a separation between Events and Time-range Events. Losing that separation, or having to do something special not to have that separation, is worse than what's in place now. Now, if they wanted to make it a preference, I guess that would be okay, though I still think it would cause more trouble and confusion than its worth.

Set to Selection Bounds is the answer, I think. It just needs a key command.
DP10.13
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Booter wrote:There is a command called Set Memory to Selection. Isn't that what you're looking for?
No, this is just for transport start/stop setting. It doesn't change the soundbite you've highlighted to an actual selection range.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

...if we could assign multiple sends simultaneously, as we can track ins/outs (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send one by one. Why not add this option to the already-existent Track assignment dialog box?

I'm working on a huge live show setup right now, and I NEED THIS SO BADLY. Setting up alternate feeds and bounce routing for a 3 hour show with lots of tracks. I have to select each aux send ONE AT A TIME. There's no DAW right now that doesn't allow you to drag and drop, and/or assign multiple sends at once. This is huge for large sessions.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

amplidood wrote:...if we could assign multiple sends simultaneously, as we can track ins/outs (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send one by one. Why not add this option to the already-existent Track assignment dialog box?

I'm working on a huge live show setup right now, and I NEED THIS SO BADLY. Setting up alternate feeds and bounce routing for a 3 hour show with lots of tracks. I have to select each aux send ONE AT A TIME. There's no DAW right now that doesn't allow you to drag and drop, and/or assign multiple sends at once. This is huge for large sessions.
I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet. It's been asked for many times.
DP10.13
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

Plus 1000 for the addition of multiple bus assignments at once. I have wasted so many hours of my life on this one desperately needed feature. PLEASE MOTU! In addition it would be wonderful to have the ability of a preference to have sends default to negative infinity, or off. Further, it would be awesome to actually be able to setup complete channel strip presets like you can for plugin insert chains. Why not expand this option for the entire channel chain from top to bottom? So I could setup a channel with everything from plugins, exact bus assignments, send levels where I want them, pan, fader, input output, etc... This would be a great feature.

I would also love to see the ability of different fader settings being remembered while in recording and playback. So when you are recording you move the fader to your desired level, but as soon as you hit playback, the original fader level snaps back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

It would also be really cool if in the mixer window I could select a bunch of tracks and create a group that then could be assigned a key command for viewing.

In other words, I mix some songs with 200-300 tracks. This requires a ton of scrolling around in the mixer window. It would be awesome if in the mixer I could select all the drum tracks and create a group and assign a key command that when pressed would show only the drum tracks and hide all other tracks. Then I could create a group for all the synths, vocals, etc. this way with a handful of key commands I could jump around to select groups of tracks very easily while hiding everything I don't need. It might be nice to include the ability of the sequence window to follow these key commands as well, hiding all other tracks than the ones in the chosen group. But if so, I'd want a preference to allow the sequence window to follow them or not so I could choose depending on what I'm doing.

I know you can show and hide tracks now in both the mixer and the sequence window, but this would be so much faster and just an extension of the already included capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shooshie

Re: My

Post by Shooshie »

rainmaker wrote:It would also be really cool if in the mixer window I could select a bunch of tracks and create a group that then could be assigned a key command for viewing.
I haven't been using Window Sets for a few years since I started leaving all my windows open in their own spaces, but I seem to remember that it does this. Is that not correct? When you invoke a window set, doesn't it show the tracks you had open when you saved it?

On second thought that's probably not correct, because you can use the same window set in many files even though the tracks change from file to file. Never mind!

Well, I agree that would be a nice addition. It would also be nice to save selections in "events" mode, rather than just range mode. That is, save an actual selection of notes, so that you can go back and reselect them later in one click. I can see similar obstacles there: when you move a note even a little, is it the same note? But I'd still like to see this method of recalling selections. And visible tracks!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by James Steele »

I once suggested to MOTU a dynamic viewing of tracks. That is, tracks would show or hide depending on whether they contained data at the current wiper position. Might get too crazy though. Other variation was to have a key command that you could invoke and it would automatically hide tracks that contained no data at that particular time the command was invoked.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Re: My

Post by Shooshie »

rainmaker wrote:Plus 1000 for the addition of multiple bus assignments at once. I have wasted so many hours of my life on this one desperately needed feature. PLEASE MOTU! In addition it would be wonderful to have the ability of a preference to have sends default to negative infinity, or off.
While it's true that you cannot set the send bus of multiple tracks at once, you CAN adjust send levels as a group. You could set up a custom group containing all tracks and set to affect only the Send levels, pans, and such. Just turn on that group to set all sends the same way, then turn it off to adjust individual tracks.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|