My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice if..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by amplidood »

Cleaned up the format. Should be an easier read now.
bolla

Post by bolla »

amplidood wrote:
...crossfade parameters could be fine tuned a bit.
Crossfading is now so fast and smooth in its actual processing that I have no complaints at all there. What *is* a problem however is that the default curves when generating curves by hand at the front and end of soundbites are not what they should be. They should be mirror opposites, and right now that's not what happens. Also, fades being able to be generated over a range with a keystroke *without* dealing with the dialog box would be great. Would require a "Default Fades" setup (like another DAW i won't mention).
EDIT: S-Curve fades happen the correct way, but normal curves don't.
Ability to save/recall custom cross fade curves would also be nice.
Cheers, Bolla
Last edited by bolla on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
bolla

Post by bolla »

Hierarchical or nested sorts in the soundbites window.
IE; Sort by type, then sort by date, then sort by duration.
At the moments you can only sort by one field type.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

A couple more...

1. It would be very nice if DP could remember two different fader positions... one when you're in record-arm/recording mode and another when you are not during playback. And the fader would automatically switch back and forth depending on what mode you are in. Like it does in Pro Tools.

2. It would also be great if there were a feature that you could copy all fader/panning values to a bus pair of your choice. The old Mackie d8b mixer had this very cool function. The reason it was great was for setting up headphone cue mixes to a bus. Basically, you have your faders all balanced on your main mix for the control room and you want to send that same mix out to a headphone cue for the artist. The way it is now you have to go to each channels' send knob and turn it up the amount you want. But wouldn't it be nice to just click a pop-down menu and choose "Copy Main Mix to Cue 3-4"? This would copy the fader values of each channel to their respective 3-4 send knob. Cool feature, wish DP had it.

3. Also another vote for a preference on sends defaulting to off instead of unity.

4. And another vote for making a preference whether the auto insert feature automatically creates another insert or not.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Mixing board related
- Being able to bypass/activate multiple selected insert plugins on multiple tracks/channels att the same time being able to A/B the tracks with or without the selected plugins.
From what I´ve seen on the Internet PT already has this feature.

- When saving different mixes, that one can save the FADER SETTINGS/POSITIONS.
I´d also like being able to undo FADER and BUS SEND changes.

Overall: - Floating plugins.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Little Known

My "Wouldn't it be nice if..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by Little Known »

How about being able to assign one send to the same output across the mixer. ie: all aux two (for example) to the same reverb input.
Radiogal

Re: My

Post by Radiogal »

Little Known wrote:How about being able to assign one send to the same output across the mixer. ie: all aux two (for example) to the same reverb input.
That can be done already. It´s basic AUX usage.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Little Known

My "Wouldn't it be nice if..." list. (1st post updates)

Post by Little Known »

Obviously I am either unclear or unaware. When I am mixing a 60+ channel mix. I would like to be able to select aux send 8 (for example) on one channel, set it a reverb input (for example) and have it automatically propagate across all channels on aux send 8 without having to select aux 8 and select the reverb input for each channel individually.
Elio

Post by Elio »

MIDI notes mute tool

full screen

a very sample player
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Little Known wrote:Obviously I am either unclear or unaware. When I am mixing a 60+ channel mix. I would like to be able to select aux send 8 (for example) on one channel, set it a reverb input (for example) and have it automatically propagate across all channels on aux send 8 without having to select aux 8 and select the reverb input for each channel individually.
Okay I get it. You mean a master for the Auxes. You could put a Trim plug on the first slot of the Reverb Auxiliary track to master the input volume . Just a thought :-)
rainmaker

Post by rainmaker »

I think he meant to have them automatically change on all auxes at the same time while only having to make the change on one channel. It's the same thing a lot of have been asking for for a long time.

Rainmaker
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

We could call it
*the master routing section*
:mrgreen:

Best

Klaus
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

In the TO, I wish there was an indicator for the track folders that would let you know if there was a record enabled track in a closed up folder. It would be really helpful, especially in very large templates where you're trying to limit endless scrolling by closing folders.

I can't tell you how many times I've been recording something over and over and then later realize I've also been recording over another track that was hidden in a closed folder.

A little red dot on the folder would do the trick.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Little Known wrote:Obviously I am either unclear or unaware. When I am mixing a 60+ channel mix. I would like to be able to select aux send 8 (for example) on one channel, set it a reverb input (for example) and have it automatically propagate across all channels on aux send 8 without having to select aux 8 and select the reverb input for each channel individually.
That's exactly what I mean in this request...

Wouldn't it be nice if...
...we could assign multiple sends simultaneously, as we can track ins/outs (Option-A).
It takes SO long to assign each send one by one. Why not add this option to the already existent Track assignment dialog box?
Last edited by amplidood on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zed

Post by zed »

Killahurts wrote:In the TO, I wish there was an indicator for the track folders that would let you know if there was a record enabled track in a closed up folder. It would be really helpful, especially in very large templates where you're trying to limit endless scrolling by closing folders.

I can't tell you how many times I've been recording something over and over and then later realize I've also been recording over another track that was hidden in a closed folder.

A little red dot on the folder would do the trick.
Yes, yes, yes. I would like this too. Just made the same mistake myself not too long ago.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8