DP 8 Wish List/Request

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 Wish List/Request

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Please don't. Shut up, that is! :) You are my island around here sometimes....

mind the pirates!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

… now THAT is an interesting picture. Not only does it have all these useless little islands complicating the waters (and I do see the resemblance to me which they bear, with emphasis on that "U" word), but it has two moons, each of which chooses one of multiple suns from which to get its light. Further, each island and ship also chooses a sun from which to cast a shadow. Very curious physics in that universe. I like it. What if you chose NO sun? Maybe you could be invisible! What a great physical property: selective light reflection/absorption! Add that to my wish list for DP8, MOTU!

:lol:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
aculver

Post by aculver »

jnunally wrote:
zed wrote:I'm still eager to have additional markers (in different colours, and perhaps stacked vertically) so that you could have one set of markers which mark song sections, another set which has important notes, another set for song lyrics, etc.

This is an excellent idea. Your suggestions are perfect. Would make life much easier. Especially if you could sort them. Like only seeing the markers for intros, or verses, or chorus, and so on.

Good one,
Jim
Me too. I need markers for each track for the way I compose some of my music. It is perhaps not necessary to change the architecture to have them at the track level in addition to the conductor track level: if they could be layered and the layers could be hidden individually, I could label them to correspond to the track names, then hide all the other layers when working on one track, or show them when working on all tracks or groups of tracks. Being able to set a color for each layer, and stack vertically, as zed suggests, would be essential too.

The single, monolithic markers system currently used is just too limited in it's view that all music is mono-layered (even if multi-tracked). Composition for film, electroacoustic, classical, and many other genres has moved long ago into a multi-layered metaphor.

Andrew
Eddy Yates
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Eddy Yates »

Otay, Spanky. Are we shingling on the fog here, or does someone at MOTU actually check this wish list? The 2 things that would make my life easier on DP are things that are very easy on other DAWs. 1: A non-destructive "snip" command 2: The ability to simply copy and paste soundbites from one project to another IN TWO STEPS...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Eddy Yates wrote:Otay, Spanky. Are we shingling on the fog here, or does someone at MOTU actually check this wish list?
When you look up in your browser at the URL for the site, does it start with "http://www.motu.com"? If not, there are no guarantees. They probably do, but there's no guarantee. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

And why hasn't MOTU developed a formula to grow my hair back in ONE STEP?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I read that as "grow hair on my back" and thought "to each his own".
MIDI Life Crisis

Never had a hairy back. Could be an interesting combover.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

So, MLC, are you saying that we should just accept DP for what it is, and forget about making any requests?
MIDI Life Crisis

Not at all. But directing them to MOTU might get you some traction. All you'll get here is some attention. I don't see a big issue in copying soundbites. Select, copy, own target, paste. Them there's the Finder. You can also Load sequence from one project to another and copy it's soundbites. There's 3 ways off the top of my head and waaaaaay easier than moving app to app.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks, MLC. I had posted a question about copying soundbites from one project to another, and the answers gave a LOT more steps than that. I'm in another project now, but will try that method. I appreciate it.
And my question about suggestions for MOTU was not facetious. I just don't find a place on the MOTU site for posting suggestions.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Eddy Yates wrote:I just don't find a place on the MOTU site for posting suggestions.
http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks, Wolf Tone.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And why hasn't MOTU developed a formula to grow my hair back in ONE STEP?
There are some things that man should leave alone.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Never had a hairy back. Could be an interesting combover.
My college roommate tried that. Not recommended.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III