DP 8 Wish List/Request

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bongo_x
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 Wish List/Request

Post by bongo_x »

15. Simple, vari-speed time time stretch. I hate having to go to another app just to play a file slower.

bb
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm all for a small list:

1. MIDI track folders/regions in the Track Window- DP is the only DAW that arbitrarily by it's own internal selection, or by a regimented time amount you choose binds MIDI data in the Track window instead of allowing the user to choose to group data into regions etc. I'm not at all for region based editing in the Graphic editor or in the Sequence Editor, but I really would love to see it come to the Track Overview. <--(this would effectively change little for the people who don't want this feature) Markers are cool, but to have to rely on them for separating verse/chorus/bridge in MIDI data isn't the best of all worlds. If you've used other DAWs for years like I have you understand why this is a good idea. :)

2. Better audio performance while editing a piece while the sequence is playing. Doesn't have to be as smooth as Live, but at least as smooth as Logic in this regard would be great. Every audio drop makes you wonder if you just went too far and it's going to kill your data. Get DP to keep the audio running please.

3. The Song Window- This from my perspective has been abandoned since MAS, AU and virtual instruments made it clunky for composing and cumbersome for using in live performance etc. MOTU could make this more than a playground and allow a digital perfomer (pun intended), to construct an hour long live performance set in the Song window consisting of Chunks/full songs that the user could import/export at will.
It seems to me this wouldn't take a total rewrite, and would put DP very firmly ahead of Logic/Mainstage in live performance DAWs, and give Live a run for it's money.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
zed

Post by zed »

bongo_x wrote:4. Adopt apple standards for selections; let me select a track, hold shift and select another track and it will select all tracks in between, if I hold command it only selects the tracks I'm clicking on.
DP has actually adopted those standards for most things. If you try selecting tracks in the Track Selectors or by clicking on the Track Name in the Tracks Window the shift and command keys work according to Apple Standards. But it doesn't work that way for selecting track data within the graphical interfaces.

And with regards to Clippings...
bongo_x wrote:That's pretty good. If I can ever get the clippings thing together I'll have to try it. I don't know why it confuses me so.
It's so much simpler than you are probably imagining. Just go to Project > Clippings and create a New Startup Clipping Window. Give it a name, and now anything you drag into that window (including an external application or any kind of document) will open automatically when you launch that DP project.

You can also create a Digital Performer Clipping Window which will become a part of EVERY project you open (new or old). That way you have access to any of those clippings in any project. Alternatively you can create a Project Clipping Window which just stores clippings which remain exclusive to the current project.

What's a clipping? It is anything you drag into those clipping windows.

In all cases, you are just creating a window where you can store stuff for easy access. Really easy to do and use. Go do it now!! ;-)
bongo_x wrote:13. Make the VU meters green. Actually, just get rid of all the blue.
I think stuff like this should be set up as an option in the preferences. There is no reason why it would be difficult for them to provide both green and blue VU meters and have the user make the choice (since it is only a matter of which image file to use).
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
jnunally

Post by jnunally »

zed wrote:I'm still eager to have additional markers (in different colours, and perhaps stacked vertically) so that you could have one set of markers which mark song sections, another set which has important notes, another set for song lyrics, etc.

This is an excellent idea. Your suggestions are perfect. Would make life much easier. Especially if you could sort them. Like only seeing the markers for intros, or verses, or chorus, and so on.

Good one,
Jim
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

zed wrote:...
DP has actually adopted those standards for most things. If you try selecting tracks in the Track Selectors or by clicking on the Track Name in the Tracks Window the shift and command keys work according to Apple Standards. But it doesn't work that way for selecting track data within the graphical interfaces...
I tried it, it works in the Tracks window but not Sequence window, that's really weird. I don't use the Tracks window so I never noticed.
zed wrote: It's so much simpler than you are probably imagining. Just go to Project > Clippings and create a New Startup Clipping Window. Give it a name, and now anything you drag into that window (including an external application or any kind of document) will open automatically when you launch that DP project...
I know it's just me. It's like the chunks thing, I figure it all out, actually use it, then the next time it's all brand new to me again, "where was that...how did I...who's kitchen am I in...who's underwear am I wearing". Some of the features of DP just have a slightly fuzzy effect on me, I can't really get a handle on them well enough to actually make them useful.

bb
ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ssp »

well im currently designing and building a console for use with digital performer, full MIDI implementation with full mmc suite commands, automation of faders, full insert automation and then control features and assignments , full meter bridge and many other features im still working on.

what would i like< hmm i guess the list would be far too long for them to be honest, however i guess full assignability of every parameter of the console section with the ability to save down individual channel strip settings per plug-in, with the option of plug-in mapping save ability also if the whole group setting is saved as a standard set up.

i have a few softsynths and fx that i use more than anything else, if i create a standard setup and save it down, i want everything i have mapped out to be saved as a whole or by option as individual mappings that i can drop into a channel or plug-in at any time. this way i dont have to spend ages re-mapping when i create a new track.

the meter window, this would be nice if you could change the "meter bars" from plain graduated blue colour bars to the more traditional led type bars or vu meters should the user choose so, or a combination of all 3.

there are other things but these will do for now.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
zed

Post by zed »

ssp wrote:i have a few softsynths and fx that i use more than anything else, if i create a standard setup and save it down, i want everything i have mapped out to be saved as a whole or by option as individual mappings that i can drop into a channel or plug-in at any time. this way i dont have to spend ages re-mapping when i create a new track.
There is the Channel Inserts feature in DP7, which does some of what I think you are asking. What version of DP are you using? Please create a signature in your profile.
ssp

Post by ssp »

ch/ins does some of it but not all of it, the drop in of a pre mapped plug file could be a welcome feature rather than having to browse for a certain preset mapping etc, a little side bar drop down of saved settings from the user and then drag-drop to the channel or plugin. however these are for cc#, mmc' sysex, nrpn etc commands not user settings of parameters.

with the sucess of my replica bpm controller i decided i wanted a dedicated digi perf console, but i know what i want things to do, and how to stream line their functions in use so if i can get a few other things added to help this along, the better.

yea no signature, never felt the need to make one really

Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Here are my favorites you have asked for to date and a few more I would like to see.

"• Improvements in All MOTU plugins (part 1) -- include a "mix" knob to allow mixing of the dry signal and the signal processed by the plugin

Love this one!

• When opening an Autosave version of a DP project, after a crash for instance, it opens the document with the Control Panel closed, and none of the keyboard commands will work. Opening the Control Panel resolves the issue, but this can be very disconcerting. The first time I experienced this I thought the project was corrupt.

• A lock feature to prevent vertical scrolling in the MIDI Editor window.

YES!!!

15. Simple, vari-speed time time stretch. I hate having to go to another app just to play a file slower. ...or faster................ If done with NEW super quality algorithms...

• MOTU iPAD remote control

• Better defined disk access monitoring to reveal record and play HD problems and tools to help fix problems on the same graphic window, buffers etc...

• Musical notes should be able to be seen in the sequence editor selectively instead of dots and bars. Big so you can edit easily.

• Click preference panel should include 4 start stop manually insertable time slots so you could say stop a click in different sections of a song or more commonly at the end where you’re doing a special soft ending where leakage is an issue or suspending tempo could be used. I would add to these click time slots a way to change volumes as well for each.

THIS ONE I ASK FOR EVERY TIME AND HAVE FOR 6 YEARS!!!

Once again I must ask for an automation, "UPDATE TO END" button for improved work flow. Mixing is still slow with the current systems compared to an SSL automation system.

This one feature would make up years of so called work flow improvements in one update.

Simply stated it would be a button that would take a write or trim of any function all the way out to the end of a song, as pre entered in END project/song, so you don't have to write it in play over and over.

As I have always said, using editing graphic window for to end changes is slow and awkward.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
zed

Post by zed »

ssp wrote:yea no signature, never felt the need to make one really
How about the fact that you are participating in a discussion, and it was unclear as to whether or not you have DP7 and are aware of the new Channel Inserts feature? :?

And it remains unknown. I'll try not to care.
ssp

Post by ssp »

simply becuase the discussion was regarding things people wanted for dp8, regardless of what revision of the software i have i have asked for features that are to be honest not implemented in dp7 as of yet.

i dont have a sig simply because its not needed i change my rig so often its pointless having a technical sig detailing things, as i beta test so much software and hardware its pointless.

why you felt it was necessary to add the "And it remains unknown. I'll try not to care." quip is beyond me, it was pointless and can be misconstrued for being hostile and immature, a feature which to be honest isnt needed.

however to allay your questions, i use dp7 latest revision

now if you dont mind i have a few hundred lines of code to read through and some components to solder up

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

ssp wrote:simply becuase [sic] the discussion was regarding things people wanted for dp8...
Actually, as the o/p, i (I mean "I") didn't really give a rat's A$$ what people wanted when I started this thread, but seeing what others are 'interested in' and how they view the apps strengths and weaknesses is enlightening to say the least. How that devolves into a Neanderthal bone hurling match is simply entertaining. One can never take such bouts seriously on the internet, especially when dealing with anonymous sources. Hey, not that there's anything wrong with that, but words without names and/or faces carry so much less meaning than an actual person's word.
ssp wrote:to be honest...
Weren't you being honest already? :)
ssp wrote:i beta test so much software and hardware its pointless... pointless... being hostile and immature...
I agree, both seem to be pointless. The nature of your 'tude shows you may find some of MOTU's coding lacking - if only in the exclusion of a feature a programmer might not have thought of. Perhaps that programmer spends more time coding than some of us spend making music? Frankly (but please don't tell the others on the board) I am that way with performances and compositions the way any craftsman evaluates another's work. It's natural to be critical of someone in your field... especially yourself!
ssp wrote:to be honest...
Weren't you being honest already? Hmmm... :(
ssp wrote:i have a few hundred lines of code to read through and some components to solder up
I see. So you are essentially a programmer/beta tester? I could barely get my Apple II to run "Hello World" let alone sing "Daisy." :oops:

From earlier:
ssp wrote:i have a few softsynths and fx that i use more than anything else...
So I take it from that setup as well that you are not a pro or semi pro musician? Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. My father wasn't a professional musician. :)
ssp wrote:...if i create a standard setup and save it down
I don't know what "saving it down" means, please explain. I know what saving is. I know what getting down with something or someone is. But saving down? Is that the opposite of saving up for something? You spend all your assets so in the end you cannot accomplish the goal? Seriously, what does that mean?
ssp wrote:... i want everything...
Ah, and so we arrive at the root of the bone throwing. You want the app to be all things to all people. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but as nice as that sounds, we're not supposed to talk religion around here. LOL!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

zed, OTOH, is largely here to help others and himself better use his tools in the context of actually making music for a living. That's a very different process than screwing around with an app in your spare time as a programmer. Well, I assume it is - not being a programmer at any level.

I am not saying this in a negative context at all, so please don't be offended or start hurling "elitist" or "you professionals" bones at me or gettin' all up into my avatar (he bites, BTW, but what a fu(king piano player). All I'm sayin' is zed asked about your sig because [sc] he thought he could help you.

Apparently, and to be quite frank, that is something I suspect will not be necessary.

BTW, have you started a thread about the...
ssp wrote:"sucess [sic] of my replica bpm controller"
One assumes you are more careful in coding than in posting. LOL!

Carry on...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

Thanks MLC. :P :D
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:All I'm sayin' is zed asked about your sig because [sc] he thought he could help you.
That was indeed my intention.

Sometimes I see someone (without a signature) asking a question to which the version of DP (of the Mac OS being used) is pertinent to being able to provide a constructive answer. This happened in another thread this morning, where I had some potentially useful information, but it was dependant on which OS they were using. I could choose to encourage them to add a signature and write a couple of paragraphs explaining that IF you are using such and such then maybe such and such will help you. Or I can also choose to ignore the thread altogether, and spend my time doing more important things.

There are other times when someone (without a signature) reports something which is of great interest or concern to me, and then not seeing a signature is really kind of frustrating because I don't know whether the issue (or the good news) is likely to apply to me or not. And again it involves having to inquire about the person's setup. It is just generally helpful to include a signature. Common courtesy, even, if one is asking for help.

In your case, ssp, you weren't asking for help. But I was still thinking about you suggestion regarding the channel strip and wondering if you knew about the DP7 improvements in this area, and what additional functionality you would like to have in the event that the DP7 improvements haven't addressed your needs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Man, what's that dog smokin' anyway?
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One can never know an others motive, (or is that anothers ...? Spell checker keeps catching it as the latter)...
Try it with an apostrophe: another's. :)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4