DP 8 Wish List/Request

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 Wish List/Request

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

666 wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One can never know an others motive, (or is that anothers ...? Spell checker keeps catching it as the latter)...
Try it with an apostrophe: another's. :)
Thanks... :) I have to go edit a few posts...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm not sure why some people don't want you to know what version they are using. One can never know another's motive, and being essentially a cynic by nature and occupation :lol: my mind immediately starts to look for an answer. Are they hesitant because they are ashamed of using DP 4 or even 3, or for that matter, Performer 2.7? Or are they secretly beta testers who cannot reveal their status because they are testing DP 8! The poop thickens. (Nicky?)

Then there might be a bunch with their pirate knickers all in a knot becuase if they reveal their version, they worry that they might 'tip their hand' of the fact that they are actually using a bootleg version. Thieves are not prone to provide any information about what they have stolen; that is human nature and probably an animal instinct.

Mine?

I'm not saying that's the case here, so don't get all up in my avatar's snout about it (did I mention he bites and plays the piano?) :)

I'm just sayin'...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ssp »

I will clarify a few things here simply because perhaps for once i feel the need to.

At the end of my post where I added the remark about code and components it was simply because i was giving myself time out from the thread so that at a later time i could when in a better frame of mind come back in and be a little more descriptive and comprehensive about my post.

However it is a shame as did happen in the bpm section that other members then take it upon themselves to act as a lynch party and interject with provocative comments that only serve to cause an issue in that thread.

I have no interest in taking that route and will not succumb to such level of forum immaturity.

Also about my spelling lets take that in issue shall we, yes I make spelling mistakes, quite often actually, however it is something i can neither avoid or prevent. Use a spell checker you say, yes I could however why should I? Other forums i frequent have no issues with my spelling or grammar simply because they took the time to ask why it is the way it is. i explained and they accepted my issues and said no more.

mlc
Your comments were to be exact unnecessary and at best only made to provoke an inflamed response, something you will not get from myself.

So let me be a little more succinct yes I beta test for motu and signed an NDA with them, I dare say by disclosing this I will be removed, however when my intent and standing on the forum or any forum is questioned as anyone else would I defend myself and my actions.

By posting the comments in the thread they are your words, you wrote them you meant them. The only intention that you had by adding to the thread in the manner you have chosen to is to provoke.

Personally I choose to ignore.

Zed.

Yes I could have taken the time to give you my current specs on hardware software etc, and been a little more forthcoming with my knowledge regarding the channel strips in dp 7.1. As I explained its something I don’t normally do simply because I change setups and equipment so many times to check different applications, hardware and it would and up being a long signature tech info!!

Currently I am working off an 2.26ghz quad mac pro an old dual core 1.8ghz ppc g5, an old mdd dual 1.25 g4, using some old motu 2408 interfaces, and several hd192 interfaces.

Yes zed I was not asking for help as you clearly say, however yes I feel my reply could have been a little more constructive at the time, however I make do with the abilities I know and possess and deal with things when they are pointed out to myself.

With regard to my grammatical errors etc I am a stroke sufferer, so if for some reason you find some things a little hard to read on occasions or notice a group of mistakes bear with me if pointed out I will try to explain what I actually meant at that time.

I don’t use pirated software, I do not own pirated software, I have worked hard since leaving school and am proud I own everything I have paid for by doing so and at 40 years old enjoy finally.

Yes there is a thread in the bpm section regarding my controller, and I am proud to say I worked hard to produce it, however in doing so was able to speak with Alain and Olivier at UVI in France and help revise software features to benefit the Motu bpm user base. I interacted with them offering suggestions and asking questions and at no time

These days I have the ability to work from home not by choice but as a side effect of afore mentioned condition I was afflicted with, that’s life it sucks sometimes but you get up and get on with things.

I don’t spend my “spare time screwing around with an app” as it was so eloquently stated earlier I do it for free getting no financial reward for it at all, my only gain is to help those who use the software and implement changes for the better for their use in professional use that then costs time and money.

Zed I dare say given the time for me to come back to the thread as I had wished to do and be a little more constructive in my post I dare say this whole section would have been avoided, perhaps in future discussions if I do slip up a little leeway for correction will be granted and thereby avoid any form of unnecessary comments, quotes or remarks.

So if I offended in anyway earlier I do apologise, I have no issue at anytime apologising for the tone or remarks I make, I have to do it all the time and am used to it now.

If you want to discuss what I meant about the drop in parameters etc then it would be good to do so.

Perhaps the thread can now progress in a more constructive manner.

thanks

Ps: I have asked the wife to type this out as she can fortunately spell!

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
MIDI Life Crisis

Oooo ouch. But I wasn't provoking a person, I was commenting on essentially an anonymous post, which, when using your real name as I do, or at least a real link to my real name in every post, you have to admit takes a lot more balls that trying to anonymously defending yourself against a perceived threat. But it the foo $hits...

And thanks for the Perry Mason moment "admitting" you're a MOTU beta tester. (Like I really care.) And how does that compromise you with MOTU? Does MOTU know your MN handle? Or do you feel compelled to stop testing because you feel you got your nose tweaked in a little, meaningless thread about measure numbers?

Chill dude. To quote Tom Waits, "I'm just blowin' off steam" and killin' time. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a couple of thousand notes to write and a piano to tune. Honestly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

Oh boy. Let's not escalate this any further! :shock:

ssp,

Thank you for your message. I have more respect for you that you took the time to compose that message. It is nice to know where you are coming from and to gain a little more insight into what it is that you do. I appreciate the apology and I also apologize for my comment which helped to get us going in the wrong direction. Let's just try to pretend that this never happened, shall we?

MLC, you're being too hard on him. I think we should all hug and be friends. :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Only if my reset measure numbers feature request is added by DP X.

BTW, I'm using DP 7.1. I think.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ssp wrote:However it is a shame as did happen in the bpm section that other members then take it upon themselves to act as a lynch party and interject with provocative comments that only serve to cause an issue in that thread.
I'll confine MY comments to the BPM section. Nobody got lynched there. Some people got tired of it being taken completely over by a few angry users who turned most of the section into a bashfest. They made the BPM section into that area of the board where, if you're bad in the DP forum, we go to the edge of the BPM forum, tie your hands, put you backward on a horse with a big clown head on over yours, and then banish you like in the Thunderdome movie. I don't own BPM but I literally hated seeing what was going in in that forum. I hadn't looked in a while, but last time I did it was being effectively and diligently ruined by a few.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ssp

Post by ssp »

my lynch comment reffered to those who were ruining the bpm section james. if you remember I PM'd yourself about what was going on and the final few comments left by the member you removed from the forum.
since the removal of the worst offender the bpm section has become a more sensible section, and as such all the posts in there are more constructive these days. myself i am limited in any response i can make to bpm enquiries but i try to offer help where i can.

the worst thing about posting in a forum is that if replies or posts are not worded correctly then it can cause confusion and possibly start issues, for myself its damn hard sometimes as i know some of the words i use can be misconstrued, however thats mainly due to getting things muddled in my head and meanings dont come to me as quickly as i would like. hense i have a break come back to it and rectify anything i need to.

besides its a given rule you have to have 3 grades of members in a forum:

the helpful dude: well thats Zed
the grumpy old man: erm i guess MLC gets that one
and the guy who wears his foot in his mouth: i guess thats me

like i said if i make a mistake i have no problem apologising, just point it out to me and it will be deal with, like everyone else im heare to share info and learn at the same time.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Frodo wrote:
zed wrote:
• Separate Take Comments, giving the option for different comments for each take...

My head is so far up into a whole other project that I confess to not have thoroughly assessed the wealth of info in this thread.

But this one comment suggestion takes me back to something I've longed for for many years. I honestly appreciate the track comments in the Track Columns, but I've found a serious need for annotated comments as well. By this, I mean having the ability to go to a particular measure in a particular track at the end of the day to post comments about things to do for the next day which are associated with that track and it's event along the timeline. I'm still keeping a notebook of such things. Remember pencil and paper? Sometimes I use text edit and store the notes in the DP project folder in question.

I guess this would also fall under the heading of "it would be nice if...", but at least the rising and setting of the sun are not effected.

BTW-- I like the constructive thinking going on here.

And to take the concept one step further...

A text layer available in tracks in the SE so notes can be taken on a soundbyte-by-soundbyte level.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

jlaudon wrote:Just a couple things for now (in addition to all the good ideas already mentioned):

1) Soundbites in the soundbite list highlighted when the same soundbite is selected/highlighted in the TO or SE

2) Mixer channels option to follow track selection in TO or SE

More to come.. :)
Re 1) select the SB in SE and open SB list *after* this
Re 2) This is in the prefs

both items in DP 4.61

Take care

Klaus
MIDI Life Crisis

ssp wrote: like i said if i make a mistake i have no problem apologising, just point it out to me and it will be deal with,
I thought that had been done? No? Did the thread not take it's nose dive right about here:
ssp wrote: why you felt it was necessary to add the "And it remains unknown. I'll try not to care." quip is beyond me, it was pointless and can be misconstrued for being hostile and immature, a feature which to be honest isnt needed.

however to allay your questions, i use dp7 latest revision

now if you dont mind i have a few hundred lines of code to read through and some components to solder up
Any apology due to zed for trying to be helpful and having his finger bitten for such?
ssp wrote: besides its a given rule you have to have 3 grades of members in a forum:
Really? So you don't treat everyone as an individual? You're missing the best part of posting and life, my friend.
ssp wrote: the grumpy old man: erm i guess MLC gets that one
Once again, ooo ouch - nose dive and a very cheap shot! So not only do you categorize people but you're prejudice against 'older folks' as well? On top of that you are passive-aggressive. For the record, I am not 'grumpy' nor do I consider myself old at 56. You paint a picture of some old codger tucked away in a stuffy old house, moaning away about the world and bud that just ain't me. A bastard, maybe - very likely. A hot blooded Sicilian, for sure - but totally non-violent unless provoked to defend my self, family, friends and country. Go USA! :) Outspoken? No need to overstate the obvious. But I am here to help others and it's rare that I have to ask a question about DP, or production, or music. I don't come here to chase people off the lawn. Get over that. K?
ssp wrote:
and the guy who wears his foot in his mouth: i guess thats me
You really need to stop painting yourself as a martyr and a wounded bird. Nobody is trying to push you over, or marginalize you (as you have seen fit to marginalize me - again, no offense taken from an anon source - LOL! but bud, you keep putting yourself in the middle of the picture and it has become "all about you."

It's not about you at all, so get over that, as well. All we have on the internet, at least when dealing with non-entities (meaning anon avatars - I am NOT calling you a non-entity as a person here "so mind the avatar..." :) ) all we have is our words and words have meaning. All we have to evaluate what others are doing and saying and meaning online is their words.

Did I call you on your $hit? Yes. Do I call myself on my $hit? Every minute of every day. Will I stop doing that? Not to you, not to me, not to anybody. So call that a bastard, call it a grumpy old man, heck I don't care what you call me, I'm already over it before it happens. But for God's sake, man, stop putting yourself at the middle of the universe. That went out with Gallileo.

NOW HOW ABOUT MY RESTART MEASURE NUMBERING REQUEST?!

Oh yeah, and get off my lawn! LOL!
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

ssp wrote:the helpful dude: well thats Zed
Well I happened to like my end-of-the-day report card! 8)

But then, I'm definitely in the middle of my universe. Perhaps I should call my band "Gallileo"? ;-)
zed wrote:
bongo_x wrote:4. Adopt apple standards for selections; let me select a track, hold shift and select another track and it will select all tracks in between, if I hold command it only selects the tracks I'm clicking on.
DP has actually adopted those standards for most things. If you try selecting tracks in the Track Selectors or by clicking on the Track Name in the Tracks Window the shift and command keys work according to Apple Standards. But it doesn't work that way for selecting track data within the graphical interfaces.
And back on topic...

I was just editing notes in the Sequence and MIDI editors this morning, and I was thinking of the Apple Standards thing that bongo_x mentioned.

When you are selecting notes in the graphic editor, it would be nice if they adopted Apple Standards--selecting any MIDI note and then holding down the Shift key should select all the notes in between two notes (although an additional key--Control or Option--would have to be incorporated in order to determine if that would select all the notes in between for the whole track or just for the current bar).

Command-clicking the notes should be the method for selecting multiple notes. Currently, Command-clicking just deselects the previous note selected, and you have to use the Shift key to select multiple notes.

EDIT >>> Perhaps a good reason for not implementing what I suggested with regards to the Shift key selection is that the Shift key is used for constraining moved notes to a vertical or horizontal axis. We wouldn't want to lose that functionality, even though the act of Shift clicking in order to select is a different action from holding the Shift key to constrain while moving items.

In any case the Command-clicking in order to select multiple notes should be implemented.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
jrod

Post by jrod »

varispeed function....varispeed function....varispeed function...varispeed function...varispeed function.....varispeed function....varispeed function.........please
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Perhaps I am alone in this, but I would love it if MOTU could somehow find it in their hearts and their code to implement a feature that would allow measure numbers to be reset anywhere in a sequence. IOW, if I have a cue that is 6:03 long, I'd like to insert an audio mix of that cue in a chunk, and at some time of my choice, set the measure numbers and conductor track to reset to 1|1|000 and some new tempo of my choosing. We can do this in Finale, where you reset the measure numbers to start from 1 again anywhere in the score. When you are working in sections and movements, as well as in very long pieces, this is very helpful in rehearsals and beats saying "go to measure 6583" when you can say "go to section 3 measure 55."

But my motives in DP are different. AS I compose and string several cues together for projects and start to write the new cue, I'd like to have a new chunk for each cue but still have some or all previous cues that have been bounced from earlier chunks (cues) in the new sequence. Then I could have individual cues retain their respective time position and measure numbers and compose from measure 1 even though the cue is in the middle of the project.

Just a thought. Maybe if MOTU bought MakeMusic or visa versa, Finale could be integrated into DP (replacing Quickscribe) and I might get my wish. Or not...
I like that. I've always wanted the ability to insert a pickup before measure 1.1.000, without changing the count, but this would be another way of doing it. Still, I'd like the ability to insert a pickup of any length, without having to go through all the steps of making it work out right. In other words, I'd like to be able to insert three eighth notes at the beginning of a piece in 4/4 time (or any other time) without having to create an entire 4/4 measure before it, and without having to renumber my measures. Just insert the notes, call it a pickup, and it interprets them in the same tempo as what follows, same time signature as follows, but does not require 3.5 beats of rest before it.

Almost half of Beethoven's pianos sonatas start this way. Several of his symphonies also do so, along with some of the tone poems by Strauss. (these were some volumes that were handy) The point is, it's a common way to notate a beginning, and yet it's relatively involved to do it in DP. In fact, you have to insert a dummy time signature that makes no sense in the score, or else put a full bar in with rests, and start that bar on 0.1.000.

Lot of talk for a little feature. I'll shut up now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|