Can't load any project in dp7! [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
peccoz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can't load any project in dp7! [RESOLVED]

Post by peccoz »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if you can help me out with a problem I'm having, it's driving me nuts! I had dp5.13 and dp6.02 installed on my mac, and just yesterday put dp7 on it. The problem is that while loading up the default "new" project, dp7 tells me that the file was created in a later version of dp- so I tried removing the previous versions of dp (with appzapper once, manually another time) and followed the directions to remove this pretty common error by deleting the "auth" files from the system. I really looked everywhere and deleted every preference, template ecc from the hard drive.

Now, re installed dp7, re-authorized, but BAM! still not working. I really don't know any more solutions, if you guys had a similar situation, let me know :)

Thanks!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can't load any project in dp7! ARGH!

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmmmm. Personally, I would've uninstalled older DP versions from their respective installation CD (with the uninstall option).

But what is it exactly that is not working? The app refuses to open? Authorization issues?
Sorry, but I'm not entirely clear about your problem :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

sorry, i've been a bit unclear: what is happening is that dp7 installs fine, and starts up fine, no problems at all.
However, the moment I hit "new file" it reports this problem:

"an error occured while writing to the disk. (...) this file was created in a later version of dp and cannot be opened in this version (...)"

i did a reinstall pf dp 7 AFTER uninstall both dp versions today, once with the cd-uninstall feature, and once with appzapper- but nothing seems to work, I can't open a single project on dp7. Not the older, not its own templates, not even the tutorial projects that come with the dp7 cd.

I'm a bit stumped! I have to say this and the other problem I posted are the first ones I have since I switched to DP: I love this DAW and I really hope to get cracking again soon!

Thanks for your help :)
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I in this area will chime in to help you.
In the mean time:

By the error you are getting, it sounds as if you are trying to open a DP7 file using DP6 (or earlier). How or why that is happening is beyond me...
Are you completely, entirely sure DP6 got deleted properly? ALL of its components?

I ask because it happened to me that I launched DP from the dock icon, but I forgot to delete the old alias and put the new one there, so every time I wanted to open 7 I was really opening 6.

But don't get discouraged. This issue, and the Audio Bundles problem you are having, will most certainly be resolved. It's still early. Hopefully the DP heavy weights will get up soon and chime in :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Yeah, since the icons are the same, I thought too that I mixed it up, but I really did uninstall everything else, so that should be completely ruled out.
In any case, thank you again for your replies, and the words of encouragement :D In the worst case, I'll just throw a completely new install of SL on my hard drive, we'll see..

Greetings from Germany!

Filippo
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Now this is strange. I re-installed my whole system, wiping the disk clean, first thing I did was install the 828 drivers and then dp7. Same thing. "new file" gives me the "created by a later version" error.

Hmm...I'll try putting dp6 on it now, hoping that will work at least.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

peccoz wrote:Now this is strange. I re-installed my whole system, wiping the disk clean, first thing I did was install the 828 drivers and then dp7. Same thing. "new file" gives me the "created by a later version" error.

just a thought, are you installing the latest 828 drivers?

Are you also installing 7 off the disk then installing the .01 update?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

peccoz, this sounds like a Permissions problem. Or, it may be a language problem. I haven't paid close attention, but I do remember someone saying that DP7 ran fine as long as they ran it in English. First I'd try the permissions. Run the Apple Disk Utility and Repair Permissions. If that fails, try putting it in English. Maybe not the ideal choice, but if it's the only thing that works, it would be worth it.

Do you know if any of the uninstallers also deleted preferences? If you're not sure, delete them yourself. USER/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES/DIGITAL PERFORMER. Be sure to save any prefs that contain customized commands, colors, grooves, window sets, or templates. You can drag those onto the desktop to replace later.

I hope you get it figured out.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Hello,

I did look at the preferences and deleted them many times, repaired permissions, even did a COMPLETE re install of SL, but same problems. Also, thanks for the language tip, but I already run osx in english, so that can't be it..
the funny thing is that right now, with a brand new mac pro 8 core with SL on it, the only stable DP version is 5.13! DP6 is giving me major headaches, and 7 as you know doesn't even launch.

I'd like to thank all of you for chiming in, it really helps to know that there is a community like this :)
legodo

Post by legodo »

I have exactly the same problem and I do not manage to understand what occurs! uninstall, reinstall, reauthorize, etc etc etc and bam bam & bam no work !!
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Very weird! Just tried the install on my (leopard) macbook pro and get the SAME problem. Is there a curse going around?! :evil:
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

peccoz wrote:Now this is strange. I re-installed my whole system, wiping the disk clean, first thing I did was install the 828 drivers and then dp7. Same thing. "new file" gives me the "created by a later version" error.

It's evident that it's a bug... a user bug.
Do you HAVE to use that option? I'd just open up an older session that has most everything you use in it and make a template out of it. Could just be a minor bug (in your system) that's easily patched but it's no big deal when you can just open up a project done on 5.13 and then do a save as template. I never use that NEW session thing... I have my own templates so I don't have to build everything from scratch... too much BS to deal with when I have an idea.
Last edited by newrigel on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Tried that.. it doesn't open. In fact, it does nothing! the open project dialog doesn't come up. I can't even quit without force quitting. It just sits there and laughs at my misery :twisted:
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Try doing it w/o the 828...
If it works w/o the 828 there you go. Call MOTU or go on line for the latest drivers, install and see what happens.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It's another one of those new weird bugs that doesn't affect almost anybody else. :?:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!