MacOS error: Unexpected error (-8796) when launching DP6.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jnunally
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS error: Unexpected error (-8796) when launching DP6.02

Post by jnunally »

Howdy all,
I am having an issue launching DP6.02 using MacOS 10.6.1. It won't read existing DP files, and when I try to create or open a existing file from DP when launched it crashes.
MOTU tech support had me create a new user account with admin. privileges. That worked. But under my regular user admin account I can not open DP files.
Another issue has cropped up too. When I double-click on any DP file from the finder it will try to launch Audiodesk. Even in the new user account.
So somehow DP6.02 seems to have become unstable under 10.6.1 and the DP files appear to have been corrupted as well.

I am using DP6.02 and MacOS 10.6.1. I have lots of MOTU hardware, but these error occur with no MOTU hardware attached. This is all on my Macbook 2.1GHZ 1gb ram.

I see there is another post going with folks using DP7 and SL having the very same error message. But I feel it would be good for folks not using DP7 to be aware that this problem exist with DP6.02 and OS 10.6.1 "SL".

Regards,
Jim
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (-8796) when launching DP6.02

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jnunally

Post by jnunally »

Thanks MLC. Just as I thought.

MOTU tech support is working with me. But this is a slow process. I contacted MOTU through techlink on Sept. 25th. Still working on it now.

On a positive note. I am running my studio on a MacPro Quad 2.66. It runs pretty stable on 10.4.11. and DP 6.02. I do get crashes now and then. Most of the time it is related to doing fades. Never figured that one out. But at least I usually know when to prepare for a crash.

Jim
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I got the dreaded -8796 error this morning. Luckily I related it to what I was doing just prior to the problem. I had just gone through all my fonts and turned off what I thought I didn't need. To make a long story short, if I turn off the font "Ariel" DP won't start up and gives a -8796 error. There may be others, but in my case Ariel was the culprit. My suggestion to anyone getting this error is to turn all fonts on and see if DP launches. If that works, systematically turn fonts off and figure out what needs to be left on. Hope this helps someone.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Dude! Ariel is one of the most used fonts in all of Computerdome!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Dude! Ariel is one of the most used fonts in all of Computerdome!
Mmm. Could be. Apple didn't list it as a system font, so it was one of the ones that got turned off. I've been grouping fonts into collections in Font Book - Music, By Client, System, etc., and turned all fonts off then on by collection. I was heavily involved in graphic design for a while and have accumulated hundreds (could be thousands) of typefaces. Ariel is just another name in the list to me. Anyway, DP seems to need it and won't even launch without it. Yikes! You'd think a programmer would have come up with something better than "error -8796" for something as common as a missing font. Perhaps there's more to -8796 than just a missing font, yes?

A while back I was having a problem in DP5 (I think) where an incorrect typeface was showing up in DP plugins. I sent in a tech request asking for a list of fonts needed by DP. No one at tech support could answer that question. :shock: Things that make you go hmmm.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jnunally

Post by jnunally »

Phil O,

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell, all my fonts are active. I did find that I did have duplicate Arial font among others. I deleted those duplicates with font book. All fonts seem active and DP6.02 and SL are still giving me the same error message -8796.
I have worked with MOTU tech support and their suggestion at this point is to work from the new user that I set up. It seems quite odd that I can launch DP with SL from a new user account but can't from the original account that always worked prior to SL being installed.

Anyone have any ideas which fonts may be suspect for conflicts with DP and SL?

Thanks again,
jim
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

Just wondering...has the latest SL update 10.6.2 fixed this horrible problem?

I'm very hesitant to upgrade to SL after reading these horror stories [plus waiting for Euphonix to get their ass in gear with their SL update...]
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
jnunally

Post by jnunally »

The system update has not helped me. DP6.02 is still behaving the same way. Won't open existing files. Crashes if I try to open the files within DP, as opposed to double clicking in the browser.

Jim
ssfm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ssfm »

Anyone have any news about this problem? I just upgraded to SL and now I have the same problem. (DP 7.0.2)
jnunally

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (-8796) DP6.02 RESOLVED

Post by jnunally »

ssfm wrote:Anyone have any news about this problem? I just upgraded to SL and now I have the same problem. (DP 7.0.2)
Hello All,

It looks like my problem is resolved. I reinstalled Mac OS SL 10.6. I am now able to launch DP without it crashing. I have only tried a very limited amount of launching and testing, but it does seem to be working correctly.
So, it seems the issue is with SL 10.6. It seems it was some sort of installation error. If you are having this issue, which it appears a few folks are, I would recommend reinstalling SL 10.6. I did all the online updates to 10.6.2 and it is working with it as well.

All the best,
Jim

Macbook 2.0GHZ, Traveler, HD192, 2408MK3, 2408 MK1, Mac Pro 2.66 quad 10.4.11, DP 6.03.
deepinc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (-8796) when launching DP6

Post by deepinc »

I had this problem a while back and remembered finding a solution which I don't see posted here. When I would try to start up DP6.03 I would get the "Unexpected error (-8796) and then the "DP unexpectedly quit". To solve this I went to my home folder/library/fonts, then dragged all the fonts to a folder on the desktop then started DP. I then quit DP, put the fonts back and DP continued to start up fine after that.