mac os error: unexpected end of file (-39)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Billyrock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mac os error: unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by Billyrock »

last two sessions subsequent to crashes i get this awful message and can't re-open my file. just upgraded to 10.5.8, by the way.
crashes occur during editing (pitch and MIDI). any ideas - worst case i get set back a day a far as work goes - i always back up sessions - but moving forward can't abide this. ant ideas appreciated. session recorded art 88/24. aprx 35 audio tracks. 10 MIDI tracks no VIs.
thank you nation.

G5Quad ppc, 6 gig ram Dp6.02, Os 10.5.8,
Frodo

Re: mac os error: unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by Frodo »

Is there a DP crash report?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Does the end of file error refer to the DP file itself or an audio file in the project?
Billyrock

Post by Billyrock »

hey guys - thank you for the posts.
yes there is a crash report and the error refers to the DP file.
gonna trynotu today and will report results.....any ideas welcome.
peace and very thankful for motunation.
Billyrock

Post by Billyrock »

ok - got MOTU tech on phone yesterday afternoon - on the first try no less! Mike helped me resolve my problem 9or at least get me back to moving forward on my project). apparently my project had gotten too big for DP - 40 tracks audio 88/24. 10 MIDI tracks..no VIs.
we created a new project and loaded all audio/info...converted audio down to 44/24 and voila.
i want to thank MOTU tech and Motunation.
no complaints with MOTU - they were great

all the best
billyrock
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Billyrock wrote:ok - got MOTU tech on phone yesterday afternoon - on the first try no less! Mike helped me resolve my problem 9or at least get me back to moving forward on my project). apparently my project had gotten too big for DP - 40 tracks audio 88/24. 10 MIDI tracks..no VIs.
we created a new project and loaded all audio/info...converted audio down to 44/24 and voila.
i want to thank MOTU tech and Motunation.
no complaints with MOTU - they were great

all the best
billyrock
Um What the heck?

Too big for DP, thats not COOL at all................
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

kassonica wrote:
+1 That's not all that big, frankly. If DP has limitations like that, it should be in the literature somewhere.

I'm thinking that for all the gratitude, that he was given the wrong answer from MOTU. If they:
... created a new project and loaded all audio/info...converted audio down to 44/24 and voila.
then something is wrong. Why would DP not work in 88/24? How does that relate to an end of file error?

I don't like the sound of this... something doesn't jive here.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
kassonica wrote:
+1 That's not all that big, frankly. If DP has limitations like that, it should be in the literature somewhere.

I'm thinking that for all the gratitude, that he was given the wrong answer from MOTU. If they:
... created a new project and loaded all audio/info...converted audio down to 44/24 and voila.
then something is wrong. Why would DP not work in 88/24? How does that relate to an end of file error?

I don't like the sound of this... something doesn't jive here.

YES

And reconverting downward NOT COOL either........(until the last step that is)

I wonder if Magic dave would like to chime in here as it would be very good to know the EXACT limitations of DP.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It doesn't sound like a limitation of DP. In fact, it's not. The limitation is on the hardware but, frankly, with a G5 Quad and 6G RAM that doesn't sound right. What else is running? What other processes are hogging CPU? Is 6G enough RAM?

If you are running Time Machine, try turning it off while you are working. Once you are done, turn Time Machine back on to archive your work.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Billyrock wrote
apparently my project had gotten too big for DP - 40 tracks audio 88/24. 10 MIDI tracks..no VIs.

Err tis what the Motu techs said, but something strange here, I grant ya
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mikehalloran wrote:It doesn't sound like a limitation of DP. In fact, it's not. The limitation is on the hardware but, frankly, with a G5 Quad and 6G RAM that doesn't sound right. What else is running? What other processes are hogging CPU? Is 6G enough RAM?

If you are running Time Machine, try turning it off while you are working. Once you are done, turn Time Machine back on to archive your work.
OK, in this instance I would agree! In a less intensive session, not so much :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Billyrock

Post by Billyrock »

I too was a little suprised that DP could not handle the size of my file. i have to say though that the diagnosis was by no means definitive. it was a speculation on MOTU tech's part - i really still don't know why i got that error message 2x on 2 subsequent sessions.

i wanted to get working again, MOTU helped me - i still can't believe i got through on 1st call! - ( albeit at 44/24) hence my gratitude.
this project was started in pro-tools......files flown into DP5.13 (latest versions of DP 5) and i kept working on it through subsequent OS and DP upgrades. i would have preferred to stay at 88/24 till the end but i honestly don't hear a degradation in the audio quality.

by the way - i had a MIDI crash problem on the same project (when attempting to edit several notes at once - crash) this seems to be cleared up for now as well. i will report my progress on this project.

i have a few waves pluggins - they don't appear to be the culprit.
no other third party stuff