JL Cooper CS-32 USB - Making it work w/ DP5/6 in Leopard

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

JL Cooper CS-32 USB - Making it work w/ DP5/6 in Leopard

Post by mikehalloran »

Anyone owning a CS-32 from JL Cooper must have been as frustrated as I when, after upgrading to Leopard, it didn't work with DP - if it worked at all. If you upgraded to 10.5 from an earlier system, it may still work but a clean install will not. Not only does the installer not work in Leopard but the CS-32 app freezes if you attempt to do any customizing (which is why it took me hours to figure this out).

I found the following workarounds. Note that I have only tested it with the USB version of the CS-32. I do not know if additional instructions are required for the MIDI version. The Serial version never worked with a Mac anyway. These are often found used on eBay and Craigs List by people who moved up to more sophisticated controllers or gave up trying to make these work in OS 10.5.x.

Installing.

The software is still found at JL Cooper but the installer will not work in 10.5 - in fact, it won't even expand. You may expand the installer on a machine running an older OS X or download the files from this web site run by Mark in Zurich (Thanks Mark!). Scroll down to "download here" and the files will download to a folder called CS32_Leopard_drivers . Double-click on the .zip files to expand.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:6N ... ent=safari

BTW, Mark was able to get the MIDI version working with Ableton LIVE - this might be useful if you need to get the MIDI version working w/ DP and my instructions aren't enough.

Place the CS-32 folder containing the CS-32 application in your Applications folder.

Place the CS32StartupItem into /Library/StartupItems. This is on your System Library, not User Library

You will see a folder called Third Party Support. Inside, you will see another folder, Digital Performer™. Open it.
Place the file, CS-32 DP 4 Plugin.bundle into /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/.

Reboot. You will get a security warning regarding the startup application. That's ok. Click Fix and reboot again.

SETUP

Open Digital Performer (5 or 6, doesn't matter). Open or create a new project. Go to the Setup menu at the top and select Control Surface Setup.
Select CS-32 MNIDESK in the popup menu and check the box for Listen to Control Surfaces in the background. Close the pop=up window. Save.

Go to Applications. Find the CS-32 folder. Launch the CS-32 app. Do not do anything but the following or the CS-32 app will freeze and you will have to Force/Quit and do it again.

From the top menu, open Keysets.
Click on Digital Performer. It should now have a check mark.
Quit the CS-32 app.

Go back to DP. You should now find that everything works as it did before. If you just bought a CS-32 used and have never seen it work, open the Mixer window and the faders will move the faders on your screen. During mixdown, hit the Latch button on a channel to automate the fader.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mokkinger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: JL Cooper CS-32 USB - Making it work w/ DP5/6 in Leopard

Post by mokkinger »

Hi Mike,

great work! I don´t have DP so I could only test the CS-32 with Ableton, glad it works fine for you with DP as well... I hope I don´t break any JLCooper copyrights by hosting the extracted driver files on my page, but as long as they don´t mind you are all welcome to dl them from my page here:
http://www.beatsnbytes.com/?p=14

all the best and good luck to all of you,
mark
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hi, Mark,

If JL Cooper minds, they can make a .zip file available for doing a manual install, use an installer that works in Leopard and write instructions that make sense (nah...). It was finding your work that made me realize that it could work if I looked at it from enough angles.

The reason it took me so long was that the CS-32 app crashes if you look at it cross-eyed. Once I figured out the exact thing I needed to do - and that the action didn't crash the app, I was fine. I felt good when the info screen lit up as I switched back to DP.

Of course with the app crashing like it does, I doubt that I will be able to get it working in Logic but that's today's project.

I am currently on disability having recently suffered a stroke. Being paralyzed on my left side, I can't play any of my instruments so getting my studio more functional is a project I have put off for a long time. Now I have that time...
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
muetze
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by muetze »

Hi!
My CS-32 doesn´t show up in DP 6.02 s Setup>Control Surface>Drivers pop up?!

CS-32 DP 4 Plugin.bundle is in:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/

any idea?
I am working on a MacBook 1,1 2GB.

Any help would be great.
Thanks!
mtz
iqbit

Post by iqbit »

Hi, thank you for all your precious informations. Do you think there's still a chance to install a jlcooper cs-32 on a mac os x 10.8?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

iqbit wrote:Hi, thank you for all your precious informations. Do you think there's still a chance to install a jlcooper cs-32 on a mac os x 10.8?
A new driver would have to be written for it. I'd pay up to $100 for a driver but won't ask someone to write one for that small amount.

OS 10.6.8 with Rosetta was the last OS where I could get mine working.

I have the USB version. I don't know if the MIDI version can be made to work. If I found one really cheap, I might give it a try through my 828mkII or MTP AV USB.

It's too bad. I liked the ability to have a 32 channel mixer that was easy to control one-handed (the only way that I can work).