DP mixes VSL

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dpdan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP mixes VSL

Post by dpdan »

Hi folks, I am happy to announce that I have been mixing some music for Guy Bacos.
http://www.guybacos.com
He is an amazing talent and his music is truly awesome.

Here is a link to Northern Sounds where he posted a few tunes that I have mixed for him with DP 6.02 and Altiverb.
No outside plugins were used except the wonderful plugins in DP, except Altiverb which is an absolute must!

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/sho ... ostcount=1

The first tune I mixed for him is titled "Front Row in Vienna" and can be heard on the VSL website "demo zone" page,
it's about the fourth one down in the list on the "recently added" page.
Or you could visit Guy's website and hear them here...
http://guybacos.com/demos.php
new demos and remixed demos

A lot of folks here use VSL, and I wanted to share some of the music I have been working on lately.
Enjoy!
DPDan
Frodo

Re: DP mixes VSL

Post by Frodo »

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I've always admired Guy's work and it's great to know that there's been some "cross-pollination" going on! Great job, Dan.

I'm really curious-- what did Guy deliver to you-- audio stems only, or were you able to tweak any VSL automation?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Hi Frodo, thanks alot,
he sends me individual aif files of each instrument.
Since I don't have the VSL instruments that he has, I am not able to tweak any MIDI.
Dan
stephen1212b

Post by stephen1212b »

Thank you for posting. Since you ask for comments here are a few. Try doubling or even tripling the string parts especially if have access to different sample libraries. Add a solo first violin into the mix. Use a wind controller to add greater expressivity to the solo wind instruments. Expand the dynamics of the mix. You can add a dynamic envelope to each note especially at the attack. Watch out for all the strings having the same vibrato. A real orchestra playing a crescendo would easily be jumping 25 Db or more in level. Don't get me wrong, on the whole this is some very nice work. I just hate to have samples sounding like samples. Granted my solutions require additional programming not just mixing what you were given.
Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / DP 7.12 / Dual 1.25 GHz G4 2GB DDR SDRAM / MOTU 2408mk3 / Powerbook G4 / traveler
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

thanks for your comments but you are preaching to the choir :) he he
you said, since you asked for comments, but I didn't, I am only mixing the music, I think you might have me confused with Guy Bacos who posted the tunes and asked for comments on the Northern Sounds forum.

I did not do any of the programming (MIDI editing) and I am aware of all the things you mentioned. I also appreciate the advice had I not known those things, but I am only mixing the individual audio tracks. Even with having access to only the audio tracks, I am creating greater dynamics, more musical entrances, female endings, fixing slight timing issues, creating rubato in some areas etc.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)
Dan
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan, as usual, you're a monster with DP. Nice work! It's a good collaboration.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stephen1212b

Post by stephen1212b »

Right you are about my confusion having answered Guy Bacos request for comments. :oops: As for preaching to the choir somebody give me a hallelujah ! Wow that is a hard word to find when you spell it the way I was trying to. :)
Mac OS X version 10.5.8 / DP 7.12 / Dual 1.25 GHz G4 2GB DDR SDRAM / MOTU 2408mk3 / Powerbook G4 / traveler
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Shooshie, you're so kind, thank you!
Stephen, every time I try to spell that word I too end up with different spellings :)
hallelujah, halleluia :)
Thanks for your comments guys,
Dan
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Will be interested to hear. Guy does great demos; not sure how they've been mixed in the past (what tools, who did it, etc.).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Much of the demos and music Guy has mixed and created with Logic.
Dan
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Oh, Danny Boy, the Ho-o-o-bit's calling...

So, Mr. Dan---- tell us about your string EQ. What did you use and how did you use it?

Inquiring hobbits want to know......!!!!!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Green Iguanas want to know too :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

FMiguelez wrote:.

Green Iguanas want to know too :)
See what I'm sayin'? So it's not just me. :cry:
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

ha ha ha

hi guys,,, I was so impressed with c0mp0ser's video,
I immediately went and bought screenflow since it supports stereo audio.
Other screenscast thingies are useless unless they are stereo, at least to me.

I spent an hour or two a while ago messing with it, and learned the zooming features,
I am going to make another one and experiment with other features, it is a blast.

Here's a three minute 21 mb quicktime of string processing.
Please let me know what the screen quality looks like on your end.
I could make it larger... enjoy!
Dan

http://www.dankury.com/movies/violinautomation.mov
stephen1212b

Post by stephen1212b »

Hey Dan,
Image size was good. Easily and clearly viewable. You have really opened my eyes and ears with automating EQ. In a very real sense bringing this level of attention to the mix is like playing the sampler as an instrument. You are breathing life into the music by adding a performance to the automatic sterile sample playback. Your enthusiasm for learning and exploring is contagious. I'm off to run the sound at the theater tonight, but can't wait to get home and play.

P.S. are Hobbits psychic? Frodo how did you know to ask?