Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

Post by James Steele »

This looks interesting for times when you want to make a mix using headphones:

http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Sounds interesting anyway. I haven't tried it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

Post by nick danger »

It does look interesting-- especially for those who have to use headphones, and/or can't afford to drop $800 a pair (and way up) for a good pair of monitors, plus room treatments.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Might be useful for people working on the road with laptops and you want to email MP3 rough mixes/demos to people.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

$69.00!!! Uh-uh!
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Well, a 60 day demo isn't bad!! I like mixing on headphones, so I shall give this a try, as I usually place the vocal a little high in the cans.

Thanks for the heads-up, James

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Speaking of headphones I've got to put in a plug (no pun intended) for the $99 Bose ear bud deals. After using Sony 7506's for years (I have the ringing ears to prove it) and then trying several in ear headphones, I'm amazed at the natural sound, transparency, comfort, and low end response of the Bose. Whether listening to an iPod or using DP on the road (or in the middle of the night at home) the Bose really give me something in the ballpark of what I like to hear. My concern was about the stereo image, so I'm curious to hear what this new plug in does.

The only wish I may have is for a little more "air" or high end response with 'em but I think what I'm hearing is pretty natural, and a little EQ may provide the extra air I like. You can get 'em at Fry's sometimes for $89 and they have a 30 day return policy. :-)
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

My first impression is quite favourable..... the stereo image becomes narrower, but feels more natural than just being panned in.... I am most curious as to how playing around with the phantom centre and distance controls helps me with my balancing, I will have to try on a proper mixing job over the next few days.

I use headphones quite a lot when I am editing or organising tracks, and i do tend to get used to the balance. If I can find a good compromise using this technique along with my regular monitors it would be extremely useful.

Shall report back

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

James Steele wrote:Might be useful for people working on the road with laptops and you want to email MP3 rough mixes/demos to people.
You Rocketh :)

Their Morgana Sampler sounds like it might be cool too. Certainly worth demo-ing.

Update: Before you insert the Redline monitor in your master channel for the first time TURN YOU VOLUME DOWN! It emits a very ungodly sound until you load the license file, which to me is so unnecessary.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Bought it. I've been waiting for another good headphone monitor simulator to come out. There was one a while back that cost more, and it just happened at a time when I was squeezed for cash, so I put it off for a few months, then lost track of it entirely. This one is simpler to use, which I like, and seems to be very good. I can't wait to put it to the test. I have to use headphones sometimes for hours at a time. I hate it, because the sound changes so radically when I hear it on monitors again. With a little luck, this will bring my headphone monitoring and near-field monitoring closer to the same experience.

Thanks, James! I'm really glad to have this.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Bought it. I've been waiting for another good headphone monitor simulator to come out. There was one a while back that cost more, and it just happened at a time when I was squeezed for cash, so I put it off for a few months, then lost track of it entirely. This one is simpler to use, which I like, and seems to be very good. I can't wait to put it to the test. I have to use headphones sometimes for hours at a time. I hate it, because the sound changes so radically when I hear it on monitors again. With a little luck, this will bring my headphone monitoring and near-field monitoring closer to the same experience.

Thanks, James! I'm really glad to have this.

Shooshie
I still haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm interested in checking it out. I can't vouch for it one way or the other... I just saw it listed in the news items at kvraudio.com. I did download the demo and axious to find time to give it a whirl sometime tomorrow, but I value your opinion on these things, Shooshie, so I'm even more interested to check it out. I have some Beyerdynamic sealed headphones... can't remember the model right now, but they seem pretty hyped in the bass. :(

Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Where's the license??? I downloaded it but I don;t find one.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Where's the license??? I downloaded it but I don;t find one.
The demo license is sent to you as an attachment via email when you fill out their form on their site for the download. I haven't installed it yet and am not by my computer, but they seem to have some sort of UAD-type thing where you load the authorization file to enable the plug for either the demo period or for good I assume.

kwiz

Post by kwiz »

RecordingArts wrote:Speaking of headphones I've got to put in a plug (no pun intended) for the $99 Bose ear bud deals. After using Sony 7506's for years (I have the ringing ears to prove it) and then trying several in ear headphones, I'm amazed at the natural sound, transparency, comfort, and low end response of the Bose. Whether listening to an iPod or using DP on the road (or in the middle of the night at home) the Bose really give me something in the ballpark of what I like to hear. My concern was about the stereo image, so I'm curious to hear what this new plug in does.

The only wish I may have is for a little more "air" or high end response with 'em but I think what I'm hearing is pretty natural, and a little EQ may provide the extra air I like. You can get 'em at Fry's sometimes for $89 and they have a 30 day return policy. :-)
+1 on the Bose in ears. They could use a bit more high end but like you stated, a little eq will do the trick.
I recently spent $650.00 on a pair of Sensaphonic in-ear monitors for my gig (and that was the artist price) and the low end on the Bose is just as good.
The Sensaphonics beat the Bose with overall clarity and efficiency but the Bose are a great bargain for the price.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

James Steele wrote:
Timeline wrote:Where's the license??? I downloaded it but I don;t find one.
The demo license is sent to you as an attachment via email when you fill out their form on their site for the download. I haven't installed it yet and am not by my computer, but they seem to have some sort of UAD-type thing where you load the authorization file to enable the plug for either the demo period or for good I assume.
Got it thanks. Give it a go.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

RecordingArts wrote:Speaking of headphones I've got to put in a plug (no pun intended) for the $99 Bose ear bud deals. After using Sony 7506's for years (I have the ringing ears to prove it) and then trying several in ear headphones, I'm amazed at the natural sound, transparency, comfort, and low end response of the Bose. Whether listening to an iPod or using DP on the road (or in the middle of the night at home) the Bose really give me something in the ballpark of what I like to hear. My concern was about the stereo image, so I'm curious to hear what this new plug in does.

They actually sell these, believe it or be damned, at Target. I saw them for sale there two days ago. Of course, my primary reaction was "What the hell are these things being sold at TARGET for?!?" Sadly, they're charging the same price as everyone else. You can find them in the electronics' department, in the same aisle stocking iPod/.mp3 player accessories. That being said, they might also be found at Wal-Mart and definitely at your local Best Buy (which now has a semi-impressive musicians'/recording department).

For $99, I picked up a set of Sennheiser 280 Pros, which replaced my $99 Atlas (Radio Shack's old in-house pro audio electronics' division) studio phones. They have a nice flat response, which is absolutely the first thing I look for -- even most mid-range studio monitors seem to bump up the bass, these days! -- and they can go quite loud if you need them to, plus, they're the best sealed-cup phones I've ever used, and the first I've ever used with absolutely zero bleed into a mic when recording vocals. I also use Tannoy Proto-J's for my nearfields, and unfortunately, they're incredibly hard to find anymore.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page