Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

Post by waterstrum »

Tim wrote:From my 1963 Allied Radio catalog:

Say "Space Perspective" five times real fast.
I tried saying it and failed at the 3rd repetition.
What do you think it actually did to the sound?
A very apt analogy to our new world of software plug ins.

How cool to see something from an Allied Radio catalog.
Remember Burstein-Applebee and the somewhat questionable Lafayette?
I used to drool over the products in those catalogs.

That being said, I want to check out the headphone plug in.
I never mix on headphones, but this could be helpful.
Do you think it would benefit cue mixes for singers/instrumentalists?
All is well
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

waterstrum wrote:
Tim wrote: Do you think it would benefit cue mixes for singers/instrumentalists?
Now there is an excellent question. I never considered that.

anyone?

Regards,
DLevy
mgr, Legacy Lab
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
tripit@earthlink.net
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

I had it in RTAS on DP, worked fine for a few days, and then while I wasn't even using it, I got a CTD. The report came back pointing to the red plug. Took it out after that.
I like the idea, just need to make stable.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Here's a hardware version for those with deep pockets and a love for headphones.

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/7897/
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, dj, the programmer of the Redline Headphone Monitor, has continued to work on it and I've continued to test it. I've now been using it for about a week without a single crash. I've used it for 12 to 18 hours at a time. I've had instances of it in multiple chunks, and I've pushed it pretty hard so far. The current build seems bullet-proof on my setup. There may still be circumstances that cause it to crash, but I haven't found them yet.

I'm waiting for dj to send me the link to a publicly posted version. When he does, I'll post it here. Incidentally, dj is one of the programmers at Audio Ease, and works on Altiverb, among others. I think he's a pretty trustworthy guy doing a great job, and is committed to getting things right.

I have reached a point with Redline Headphone Monitor that I can no longer do headphones without it. It just sounds SO much more like my speakers. We only have to remember one important thing: disengage it (bypass it) before bouncing to disk, assuming the disk will be listened to on systems that don't require headphones. If you're bouncing for the iPod, you might want to consider leaving it cut in to the end. That'll give your iPod listener a new exerience.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jrech

Post by jrech »

I agree with Shooshie. I have not had any problems with it, but it does suck up a little space on my G5 PPC. I have a pair of the bose headphones, and the mixes are right on the money with my speakers. This is a really nice add to the system.

J-
Tim

Post by Tim »

waterstrum wrote:
Tim wrote:From my 1963 Allied Radio catalog:

Say "Space Perspective" five times real fast.
I tried saying it and failed at the 3rd repetition.
What do you think it actually did to the sound?
A very apt analogy to our new world of software plug ins.

How cool to see something from an Allied Radio catalog.
Remember Burstein-Applebee and the somewhat questionable Lafayette?
I used to drool over the products in those catalogs.
I used to get Allied, Lafayette, McGee, Olsen, Radio Shack catalogs when I was a kid. I never had a B-A one but used to see them advertised in the back of Popular Electronics.
RMC206

Post by RMC206 »

... so if it helps iPods, would it help other compromised listening areas such as Myspace, Youtube? Wouldn't that make a purchase worth it!
"Espresso, uphoria without all the ugly track marks." Krups GVX2 grinder, french roast, G4 dual 867, DP 4.61, 828 MKII, EZdrummer, Ozone, Mach V, Plugsound Pro, GearBox, sm57, Mackie Monitors, telecasters ...lots of telecasters.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Tim wrote:I used to get Allied, Lafayette, McGee, Olsen, Radio Shack catalogs when I was a kid. I never had a B-A one but used to see them advertised in the back of Popular Electronics.
The good ol' days! I built a tube tester from a kit I bought from Allied (I think I was around 15). Still have it. Still works!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
dj! (112dB)

Post by dj! (112dB) »

Just for the benefit of those who might have subscribed to this thread: the dreaded DP bug is fixed and Shooshie started a new thread on Redline Monitor here.

-- dj!
Image Image
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Has anyone done an AB test between Redline Monitor, Canz3D and Headphone? (The Plugs-Ins for mixing in Headphones in this thread?)
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
dj! (112dB)

Post by dj! (112dB) »

I know some have (from private emails sent to us) but AFAIK no one has publicly published their results. I'd be interested in seeing a direct comparison.

-- dj!
Image Image