Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Eleventh Hour Sound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

dj! (112dB) wrote:Hi guys,

it's dj! of 112dB here. Just to say thanks for your interest and add a few comments:
RecordingArts wrote:Before you insert the Redline monitor in your master channel for the first time TURN YOU VOLUME DOWN! It emits a very ungodly sound until you load the license file, which to me is so unnecessary.
That is entirely unnecessary and in fact not intended--it definitely shdn't do that. Could you tell me in what host/OS this happens so I can fix this? I can't seem to make it happen here.

-- dj!
My system is in my signature. I was using my MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, Mac OSX 10.5.6 and DP 6.02, and a Tascam FW-1082 Interface.

Thanks,
Vincent
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
waxman

Post by waxman »

I am sending my $60 soon as it is stable. So far I have not had a problem.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dbender

Post by dbender »

Has anybody tried the free plugin named "Headphone" from http://www.luthersworld.de ?

I wonder what people think about it vs Redline (or the Canz plug)?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Good gosh! I too got the loud burst of noise upon instantiating Redline Monitor. Thank goodness I had my speakers muted!! Yipes!! And I had forgot to move the demo authorization file from my laptop to my DAW so I had to remove the instance and I'm going to have to go "sneakernet" the auth file over here as the file is still in my email attachments on my iBook. Yipes!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Got it working. Before I listen further I noticed a couple of things that were happening for me with Redline Monitor:

1) As I think was reported, clicking Bypass in DP's GUI does nothing, you must click on the headphone logo/plug in name in upper left of the plug-ins GUI.

2) Clicking on the plug's GUI in DP does not bring the plug to the foreground and/or active the window. You must click the title bar or double-click the instance on an insert.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dj! (112dB)

Post by dj! (112dB) »

Hi James,

thanks much for your reports. The noise when there is no valid license present is fixed in the beta build that's currently being tested for the instability problems some people were experiencing. The Bypass from the DP GUI not working is fixed too, and finally the window activation issue I'm still looking into. If you encounter any more weird or non-conforming behavior let me know! I hope to release the updated version within a few days.

Take care,

-- dj!
Image Image
Tim

Post by Tim »

From my 1963 Allied Radio catalog:

Say "Space Perspective" five times real fast.
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Wow! That's really difficult to say without tripping over, for some reason.

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe MOTU will model it! ;)

does it come in AU?

Mac or PC?

Ok... I'm outa here.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It has caused crashing on DP 5.13 for me - I've scrapped it. I think its a bit of a gimmick personally. I just don't think you can mix on headphones properly and its not good for your ears. That's my Health and Safety announcement out of the way.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
jrech

Post by jrech »

Does anyone have any more positive or negative experiences with this product. I am about to take the plunge, but if there is any concerns, I will not even waste my time.

Have a great day,

Jody
dbender

Post by dbender »

dbender wrote:Has anybody tried the free plugin named "Headphone" from http://www.luthersworld.de ?

I wonder what people think about it vs Redline (or the Canz plug)?
so nobody?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
jrech

Post by jrech »

I downloaded the demo to give it a whirl, but I am not noticing any significant difference in tone. I inserted a master fader, and put the redliner as an plugin on the master fader. I am assuming that is what you needed to do. Does any one have any settings to try? I also downloaded Headphones and Canz, but I am having the same result. Not a lot of tonal changes. I am guessing I am doing something wrong, and I am hoping someone here will be kind enough to send me in the right direction.

Have a great night,

J-
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jrech wrote:I downloaded the demo to give it a whirl, but I am not noticing any significant difference in tone. I inserted a master fader, and put the redliner as an plugin on the master fader. I am assuming that is what you needed to do. Does any one have any settings to try? I also downloaded Headphones and Canz, but I am having the same result. Not a lot of tonal changes. I am guessing I am doing something wrong, and I am hoping someone here will be kind enough to send me in the right direction.

Have a great night,

J-
DP's bypass function doesn't seem to have an affect on this plug. You need to click on the headphone logo at the upper left to engage the plug. You should be able to hear the difference if you do that.

jrech

Post by jrech »

Thanks James,

That trick worked to perfection. I think I am digging this plug-in. This was the first time ever, that my headphone mix was close to what I am hearing in my speakers.

J-