Cannot Force Quit Digital Performer

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Stephg_113
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cannot Force Quit Digital Performer

Post by Stephg_113 »

I have a Mac 2 * 3 GHz Quad Core Intel. Digital Performer 6 fairly often crashes and will not force quit thus I have to restart the whole computer to run it again. Does anybody know of the terminal command to force Digital performer 6 to quit?
tobysan

Re: Cannot Force Quit Digital Performer

Post by tobysan »

i feel like there is a non compatible plug-in/AU go to Preferences and disable your "non DP" installed plug ins, save it an
close your DP if you have no problem anymore, try to enable your plugins one by one till you find the bad one...
Mac pro 8 Core 2.8GHz, 10G RAM, OSX 10.5.6, DP 6.02
PCI 424 e, 2408mk3, MTPAV,rosetta 800, BigBen WC
Latin Music production and songwriting..

www.myspace.com/tobysandoval
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Stephg_113 wrote:I have a Mac 2 * 3 GHz Quad Core Intel. Digital Performer 6 fairly often crashes and will not force quit thus I have to restart the whole computer to run it again. Does anybody know of the terminal command to force Digital performer 6 to quit?
In terminal, type: top then hit enter.

This will produce a list of apps with numbers before them. Note the number of the app you want to quit.

Then type q (for quit) and the default terminal screen appears (you are quitting "top" not terminal).

Then from there type: kill xxx (xxx being the number of the app you noted earlier.)

You can also issue a force quit from Activity Monitor by selecting the app and then selecting the force quit icon.

These are not fool proof and some apps just won't quit. Also, DO NOT expect an immediate quit. It can take a minute or so as the OS makes its adjustments to the RAM allocation, threads, etc., that the app has running.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Sometimes I've run Repair Permissions when DP hangs because some other process may be tying things up. RP can release resources that will allow a force quit to take place, but not always.

If there are other apps running, it has helped in the past to quit those first, then try to quit DP. This hang on quit issue seems at least remotely connected to the out of memory error-- (I think it's code# -108).

Also, there are times when the key stroke to force quit won't work when right-click (or control-clicking) the DP icon in the Dock will work-- or the other way around (depending on how one tilts one's head-- lol).

The Terminal approach will definitely work, but as MLC says, it won't necessarily be an instant quit, but it will quit.

Check your Log for DP crash reports (User Library> Logs> CrashReporter). If a crash was logged and stamped at the time the crash occurred, it could hold some clues as to what's causing the problem.

I would also trash DP Prefs (User Library> Preferences> Digital Performer> *preferences*) and repair permissions.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Frodo wrote: Check your Log for DP crash reports...
Now there's an image Nicky can run with!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: You can also issue a force quit from Activity Monitor by selecting the app and then selecting the force quit icon.
Yep. That's how I've always done it and [so far] I've never had it not work, even in the 'direst of dire difficulties'.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

philbrown wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: You can also issue a force quit from Activity Monitor by selecting the app and then selecting the force quit icon.
Yep. That's how I've always done it and [so far] I've never had it not work, even in the 'direst of dire difficulties'.
It works with some, but certainly not all apps. It's a good one for apps that run behind the scenes, such as Google Desktop. Grrrrr.....
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

In order to use Terminal or Activity Monitor to recover from such situations, it's generally necessary to already have them running at the time of the DP hang (at least, on my machine). And as they soak up resources on their own, running them increases the chance of a DP hang :-(. So I generally don't run them, and can rarely bring them up at the point that Force Quit fails to work.

One of the most common ways to get out of this mess is to force an exception within DP. The easiest way is to turn off your audio interface. In most cases, but definitely not all cases, this will cause an error dialog to interrupt the hung plug-in or whatever else has frozen DP, when then gives you an opportunity to access your desktop again and force quit from there, or simply to change the audio settings to internal audio, which generally stops the hung process.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

mhschmieder wrote:In order to use Terminal or Activity Monitor to recover from such situations, it's generally necessary to already have them running at the time of the DP hang (at least, on my machine).
That has nothing to do with it. Really!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

What is the "it" that you are referring to?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
MIDI Life Crisis

mhschmieder wrote:What is the "it" that you are referring to?
It: Having to run Activity Monitor prior to launching a program in order to get the app to quit.

also:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/it :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I wasn't precise enough then: when my system gets brought to its knees like that, I can't access the desktop through ANY of the time-worn back-door tricks, so cannot bring up Activity Monitor or Terminal (nor will anything launch through direct short-cuts -- the keyboard and mouse are that frozen up at that point).

MIDI Life Crisis

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, I wasn't precise enough then: when my system gets brought to its knees like that, I can't access the desktop through ANY of the time-worn back-door tricks, so cannot bring up Activity Monitor or Terminal (nor will anything launch through direct short-cuts -- the keyboard and mouse are that frozen up at that point).
So if Activity monitor was running, how could you get to it? CMD-TAB? If so, couldn't you get to the desktop that way? I'm guessing - NOT! I get those freezes every so often, but not o much. Only about 2 or 3 kernal panics all year (of course the year isn't... $^&*#$ &*^(#$ V°‡· ıÓÔÍΈ ıÓÔΈ͠¿fl´‰ˇ‡€‹(TD ◊ıDHWJKLQ

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Sometimes the mouse is frozen altogether for the computer, and the keyboard is frozen within DP, except for F11 which sometimes works, at which point if I'm lucky I now have a global context that has some CPU energy to listen for mouse and/or keyboard events.

Frodo

Re:

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:Oh, I wasn't precise enough then: when my system gets brought to its knees like that, I can't access the desktop through ANY of the time-worn back-door tricks, so cannot bring up Activity Monitor or Terminal (nor will anything launch through direct short-cuts -- the keyboard and mouse are that frozen up at that point).
So if Activity monitor was running, how could you get to it? CMD-TAB? If so, couldn't you get to the desktop that way? I'm guessing - NOT! I get those freezes every so often, but not o much. Only about 2 or 3 kernal panics all year (of course the year isn't... $^&*#$ &*^(#$ V°‡· ıÓÔÍΈ ıÓÔΈ͠¿fl´‰ˇ‡€‹(TD ◊ıDHWJKLQ

I put the Activity Monitor in the Dock and can always access it no matter what happens if key commands and such don't work.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52