bus multiple tracks at the same time?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
zionminstrel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

bus multiple tracks at the same time?

Post by zionminstrel »

Is there a way to assign multiple track sends at the same time in the mixer rather than clicking each channel send and running down the list of output options? Just seems to waste time. Thanks.
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bus multiple tracks at the same time?

Post by wurliuchi »

No. Not that I know of.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This has been discussed before here; all seemed to agree that a method for multiple-track configuration is sorely needed.

It is my hope that such a method would feature the ability to predefine the send levels too.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
martian

Post by martian »

yes please!

often easier to make new channels with correct bus/aux arrangements if you got lots to do.,... make a bunch and copy and paste stuff in...

motu mind meld...
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
GloryisSilent

Post by GloryisSilent »

At the very least you could re-arrange your bundles temporarily so the item you are assigning to appears in a more convenient place on the menu.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

As a workaround:

If it's a track setup you often use, you could have a templete with everything ready to go. Also, if you're adding tracking on the fly you could use the duplicate track option to create tracks with the same track output, sends, and even plug ins.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
Tim

Post by Tim »

RecordingArts wrote: templete
I like that: Template + Complete.
BobK

Post by BobK »

In Pro Tools LE, you can assign multiple tracks to an aux send by holding down a modifier key - I think it's 'option' - while selecting a send. I think it applies to ALL mixer channels (rather than, say, all visible channels), though I'm not sure. This isn't ideal, but it's better than DP, particularly for assigning tracks to main reverb or to a headphone mix while overdubbing.

Anybody who wants something similar in DP, PLEASE send submit a request to MOTU via their online feedback form. I've been asking for this for at least a couple of years.

I wish it could also be done in the Audio Assignments window, which applies to selected tracks.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Is this still the case? I.E., no way to assign multiple channels to the same buss at once. If that's the case... then is there also no way to assign the same plugin to a group of tracks at once?? I know I do this ALL the time. I'll assign the same plugin EQ to all my drum tracks, or the same compressor to all my rythem guitar tracks, etc.

I know this thread is a bit old.. but in response to the post above..., when in PT:

1) Holding "option" will do whatever you want to all tracks.. whether that's assigning a send, an output, a plugin, etc.

2) Holding "shift - option" will only apply to selected tracks...

3) "shift - option - command" will apply to all selected tracks in consecutive order when applying things like inputs, outputs etc. I.E., select all drum tracks, hold "shift - option - command" and assign your first channel to input 1, now your second channel will be input 2, third input 3, and so on...

I actually came upon this thread while searching for an answer to a different question though. Is there a way to rearrange several tracks at once in the 'tracks overview window'? I.E., can I select all my string tracks and drag them to the top of the page, or do I have to do it one by one?
At the studio: 2" Sony/MCI 24 Track, 36x24 Neotek IIIC, Modest rack and mic selection, PTLE 7.4, 002R, Apogee AD8000, PPC Mac 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.4.9

Check out my completely out of date studio website: http://www.mysteriousredx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Home: Intel iMac dual 3.06Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.12, Logic 9.1.1, Numerology 2.3
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

benmrx wrote:I actually came upon this thread while searching for an answer to a different question though. Is there a way to rearrange several tracks at once in the 'tracks overview window'? I.E., can I select all my string tracks and drag them to the top of the page, or do I have to do it one by one?

These are the default Commands:

Control Home - moves selected tracks to the top

Control End - moves them to the bottom

Control Page Up - moves them up by one track

Control Page Down - moves them down by one track

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
benmrx

Post by benmrx »

Ahhhh... I'm actually working on a small keyboard at home, so I don't have the "home, end, page up, page down" buttons, but I'm sure I can customize these commands. Thankyou sir....

Any idea regarding bussing or plugins on multiple tracks simultaniously?
At the studio: 2" Sony/MCI 24 Track, 36x24 Neotek IIIC, Modest rack and mic selection, PTLE 7.4, 002R, Apogee AD8000, PPC Mac 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.4.9

Check out my completely out of date studio website: http://www.mysteriousredx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Home: Intel iMac dual 3.06Ghz + 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, DP7.12, Logic 9.1.1, Numerology 2.3
BobK

Post by BobK »

benmrx wrote:Any idea regarding bussing or plugins on multiple tracks simultaniously?
The Audio Assignments window (option-A) acts on selected tracks and can route them to the same outputs, consecutive outputs, or to aux buses. The key commands you mentioned would be great to have too - please submit a feature request to the MOTU suggestion box (I've been asking for this for a few years now, after seeing it in PTLE).

EDIT: Corrected this post to reflect that Aux buses ARE included in the Audio Assignments window.
Last edited by BobK on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Tim

Post by Tim »

BobK wrote:
The Audio Assignments window (option-A) acts on selected tracks and can route them to the same outputs or consecutive outputs - but only to hardware outs, not Aux buses.
I route multiple tracks to aux buses that way all the time.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Tim wrote:I route multiple tracks to aux buses that way all the time.

You're right. Not sure what I was thinking. Will go back and correct my earlier post.

Thanks Tim!
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I think he means he'd like to see something for routing Sends on selected tracks like the way Audio Assignments works for assigning I/Os.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13