What buffer size do you track with?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What buffer size do you track with?

Post by mikehalloran »

Some say SSDs are not as durable as HDDs.
Not the case with the newer ones. The standard warranty on an HHD is two years although there are 3 and 5 year drives available.The problem with a WD Black is that it runs much hotter than other drives.

SSDs generally have a 3–5 year warranty though Samsung and another offer 10 year units. They run much cooler and draw far less battery power.

The battery issue is really insidious and seems to be time dependent. When it happens, it swells from 3–5x its size. It took about an hour when it happened to my daughter's 6 year old Macbook, breaking the motherboard and extending the back case before it popped the screws. As she had it open at the time, I was able to sell the screen on ebay. The hard drive survived and she had recent TM backups so no data was lost.

Apple engineers I know recommend replacing the battery after 5 years no matter what shape it's in.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Put the spinner in an external case and use it for backup for your laptop. If you use it as your boot drive, you will find it agonizingly slow.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:I am stuck with my setting for tracking, which is set at the highest (1024).

I simply can NOT change the buffer size without DP restarting the engine and messing up ALL (no exceptions) my VI bundles (they all get replaced by "Waves xxxx.....").
This is a big problem. FM, have you considered re-installing DP? The behavior you are experiencing is atypical.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I am stuck with my setting for tracking, which is set at the highest (1024).

I simply can NOT change the buffer size without DP restarting the engine and messing up ALL (no exceptions) my VI bundles (they all get replaced by "Waves xxxx.....").
This is a big problem. FM, have you considered re-installing DP? The behavior you are experiencing is atypical.
I don't know what's causing that, FM, but you've gotta get that fixed. There's no way it should be doing that. Maybe replacing it is the key. Maybe some pref is the key. Maybe MOTU knows the answer. But you can't let that thing hold your work hostage!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote: This is a big problem. FM, have you considered re-installing DP? The behavior you are experiencing is atypical.
Yes. I've tried it many times :(
It has happened for as long as I can remember throughout every version (since my G5).

It also happens right now on a different computer with El Capitan and DP9.02. My main system currently has Yosemite and DP9.02.

All my VI-realted bundles change to this>

Waves ReWire:Waves Mix-L 1-Waves Mix-R 2

And I have hundreds of those... So that's why I'm stuck for tracking with my trusty Roland. But sometimes I feel it really slows me down. The only good thing about this mandated approach is that it lets me concentrate 100% one the music, not the sound of the instruments, and it usually is a good thing at that stage WHEN THERE IS TIME... sadly, that doesn't happen very often.

That, and the fact that I designed my template to be quick and able to record the music using the actual VIs with CCs and keyswitches at the same time. I even bought my Novation keyboard for that purpose... Since the latency is too great, even when setting VE Pro to "none", and I can't change buffer size without loosing my bundles, I'm stuck with Roland and a permanent buffer size of 1024 :(

So I take it this doesn't happen to you or anyone else? :shock:
I don't think I remember hearing about it here ever.

A lot of you use Waves too, so I'd be really curious to hear from you on this issue.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote: I don't know what's causing that, FM, but you've gotta get that fixed. There's no way it should be doing that. Maybe replacing it is the key. Maybe some pref is the key. Maybe MOTU knows the answer. But you can't let that thing hold your work hostage!
I know, Shoosh. I guess it's so old and I'm so used to doing this, that now that I mentioned it I realize how actually ANNOYING it is. :lol:

I think it is the one remaining and last issue I have to fix in my setup, since it must be slowing me down by at least 30%.

I MUST ADD A VERY IMPORTANT CLUE:

This only happens to VI bundles of VIs whose V-Rack is NOT currently active (on).

If the corresponding VI-Rack is activated, then the bundles remain normally.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You use some Waves stuff, right, Shoosh?

I'm trying to figure out which plug in causes this. It must be a Waves one with Rewire capabilities.
Can you check in your bundles window if you see in the Instruments tab, in the horizontal pane, a bundle called "Waves ReWire:Waves Mix-L 1"

I mean, do you even see it there?
'Cause I always see it there, and I am positive I only installed the AU versions and nothing to do with Rewire. I don't even have a Propellerhead product in my computer...

Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

So, what I do, is I record my performances and orchestrate using my hardware JV 2080 synth with zero latency. Once I finish, I copy the Roland tracks to the relevant VI MIDI tracks for the substitution. Afterwards, I just delete the Roland stuff and work with the VIs normally.

I know it sucks, but DP will not let me change the buffer size without messing my VI bundles. And I'm VERY annoyed about it, since I could work much faster by playing and controlling kewswitches at the same time with the actual instruments I will use... :(

When I record singers, I use my external Tascam mixer, so they don't hear any latency with my highest setting.
Have you tried other DAWs? I certainly would.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

e-snobben wrote: Have you tried other DAWs? I certainly would.
Not really... I LOVE DP too much :)

I am, however, slowly building an alternative set of non-Waves plug-ins (if Waves happens to be the culprit, which I doubt for this point), but I admit I'm too far "in bed" with them to suddenly stop using them (is that a term in English?), since I use them in most of my projects, old and new, and I invested too much time and money with them already.

It'll take me a while...

Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

HCMarkus wrote:Put the spinner in an external case and use it for backup for your laptop.
I did at first. Then I realized I would not be able to backup both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro on it so I bought a 1 TB disk and partitioned it. Nowadays I hardly use the Mac Pro, but that's the way it goes I guess. New stuff replaces old stuff, although nothing is broken. I could use it as a second backup of course.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've never had an issue like you describe FM.

What if you start a project from scratch, not using your template... Do you still have the same issue?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:You use some Waves stuff, right, Shoosh?

I'm trying to figure out which plug in causes this. It must be a Waves one with Rewire capabilities.
Can you check in your bundles window if you see in the Instruments tab, in the horizontal pane, a bundle called "Waves ReWire:Waves Mix-L 1"

'Cause I always see it there, and I am positive I only installed the AU versions and nothing to do with Rewire. I don't even have a Propellerhead product in my computer...
I have Waves, and I see the ReWire channels, but I haven't had it mix up my bundles in a long, long time. Could be because of the way I work, but I don't know that for sure.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:You use some Waves stuff, right, Shoosh?

I have Waves, and I see the ReWire channels, but I haven't had it mix up my bundles in a long, long time. Could be because of the way I work, but I don't know that for sure.

Shooshie
Nah! We do different stuff, but as far as I can see, we mostly use similar workflows for similar things, based on previous posts.
So if you don't see your bundles getting replaced when you switch buffer size, that suggests there's probably something's wrong with my installation or something.

Which leads me to this...
HCMarkus wrote:
I've never had an issue like you describe FM.

What if you start a project from scratch, not using your template... Do you still have the same issue?
That is one thing I've never tried!
I certainly will. Thanks!