some MAS Plugins Not Available... HELP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
andrewapeterson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

some MAS Plugins Not Available... HELP

Post by andrewapeterson »

Please help me. This is driving me crazy.
Suddenly my MW Equlaizer and my Para EQ Plugins don't show up in the list of plugins available from the Mixer. They do get scanned/loaded during the splash screen at startup. They're just not listed via the mixer or via the Audio Menu (Audio>Audio Plug-Ins).
This is what I've tried, not necessarily in this order and some of these things I've done multiple times:

*Repaired Permissions (All were/are correct according to Disk Utility)
*Varified/Repaired Hard Drive (Disk Utility said it's fine)
*Uninstalled and Re-Installed DP
*Trashed User/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer.plist
*Deleted .Auth-DigitalPerformer 5.0
*Renamed User/Library/Preferences to Preferences-old (to flush all system prefs at the user level)
*Renamed ParaEQ.bundle (By this time I'm making solutions up!)
*Moved Plugins from HardDrive/Library... to User/Library... (and back)

The .bundle files are there in HardDrive/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/ but they just wont become available via the UI. I have been googling like mad since yesterday and getting nowhere. I'm going crazy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... p?p=351040 ...This Person on this other forum is having the same problem it sounds like, but no solution there (I will post the solution here and there if I can find one) ...Interesting that it's the 2 built-in EQ's for both of us... Interesting and completely horrible.

Please help me if you can. Thank You.
DP 6.0.1
Intel iMac 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
Leopard
MOTU 828 (original)
Frodo

Re: some MAS Plugins Not Available... HELP

Post by Frodo »

Uninstall DP

Go back to your install disc and reinstall it. Download ALL of the versions immediately after your install disc version up to and including 5.13.

Example--

5.0 Install disc
5.01 update
5.10 update
5.11 update
5.12 update
5.13 update

If your installer disc (as an example) is version 5.11, then only do the 5.12 and 5.13 updates.

I've you skipped any of these you may have skipped some important parts of the installation. It could also be that there was some particular file corruption or install error somewhere.

You could spend days trying to track down a single corrupt file. Even if you could pinpoint it, you'd have to reinstall something anyway and have everything done in 30 minutes. Nothing like a fresh start.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
andrewapeterson

Thanks for the reply, Frodo.
The thing is, I've already had 5.13 working fine without all the other incremental updates. I have a 5.0 Install Disk, a 5.1 Update and a 5.13 Update and this has been working fine for ever and then suddenly, out of the blue, these plugins disappeared.

I will try to track down all the incremental updates and I'll try this solution, but really it doesn't seem logical to me that it would work since DP has been fine until the other night when the plugs stopped showing up.

Thanks again.

In the meantime, any other suggestions are also more than welcome.
DP 6.0.1
Intel iMac 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
Leopard
MOTU 828 (original)
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Do you , by any chance , have audio plug-ins in the user library > audio folder as well as in the HD library? The fact that , for some reason, I had Mas plugins in both places caused problems for me. When I removed them from the user library, my problems were solved. I see that you moved them... but are there any duplications?...just an idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 duo 2G memory Ultralite DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8
andrewapeterson

thanks for responding, qwerty.

No. All my Plug-Ins are in User/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/

Currently I'm looking into the possibility that this has to do with new permissions stuff in Leopard, mainly that "group" permissions are screwed up, although so far, this has been a wild goose chase. The reason I'm even considering this is because my files inside of Digital Performer.app (show package contents) are shown to have a group called "Unknown." ...I'm inspired by this oddity so I'm googling around for new insight about all that, but really I think my problem is probably much more simple. Maybe my DP Install Disk is corrupt somehow?
See here:
http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... p?p=106725

Please, any additional insights are welcome. I'm so frustrated. Been at it for days now.

Thanks, everyone.
DP 6.0.1
Intel iMac 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
Leopard
MOTU 828 (original)
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

andrewapeterson wrote:
Please, any additional insights are welcome. I'm so frustrated. Been at it for days now.
I don't understand all the possible corruptions or why things suddenly stop working. Short of basic troubleshooting like you've already done I'd say that a complete reinstall will take you less than an hour, probably 30 minutes if you have all the updates. That's going to be better than a week of agony. Been there- seen it-- done that-- more times than I care to admit. I just hate to see you going through the same aggravation.

I would call MOTU when they open, explain the issue (including the fact that you've not heard back from them) and ask them to either send you a link to the updates you don't have via e-mail or to send you a complete 5.13 install disc.

If you didn't buy and register DP6, then your DP5 account is still open. I can't get to my DP5 account any more to tell you which updates are still posted, but if your DP account is still open you can download the missing updates there.

MOTU have specifically suggested to do all of the installs that were released after the version included on your original installer disc. There was one specific situation when people were installing DP in Leopard with MAS plugins not showing up. MOTU again stressed installing the entire series of updates. One of the files that was either corrupted or omitted was the MAS Audio Unit Support Bundle (located in your Macintosh HD> Library> Audio> Plugins> MAS folder). I couldn't tell you which *updates* include this file, but I know it is on the installer discs regardless of which version is on that disc.

If you don't get it sorted out within the next day or so, drop me a PM and we'll go over a few other things that just might help.

Keep your chin up, though.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
jarok

Post by jarok »

Hi

Just guessing?
Some people have had trouble with plug-ins when the language is Not set to English
on their computers.
When you install or work with the English version of DP your OS X language should
be set to English. Other languages can understandably cause trouble.

jarok
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trio-Trout/140467307206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

andrewapeterson wrote:thanks for responding, qwerty.

No. All my Plug-Ins are in User/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/
---
Actually, the solution to my problem involved removing the plug-ins from the user/library/audio/plug-ins folder.
I had plugins in both the user library AND the root level library (I have no idea how or why they got there). My plug-in problems vanished when I removed the plugins from the user library and left the ones in the root library.
According to a response to a question at MOTU tech support re "a full MAS plug-ins folder in EACH of these libraries" , They said "It should not be in the User's folder.
It should be in (root level)/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins."
""
Might be worth a try .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 duo 2G memory Ultralite DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8
andrewapeterson

Here's what I did that finally solved this problem after 2 full days of suffering and searching for answers. I blogged it here:
http://andrewapeterson.wordpress.com/20 ... mer-dp513/

*I uninstalled the DP software reverse-incrementally, starting with 5.13 in UNINSTALL mode, then DP 5.1 and finally the original DP 5 Installer on the CD.
*I repeated the same process AGAIN, but this time selected "MyHardDrive" rather than the "Applications Folder" as the target install directory, again selecting UNINSTALL rather than Easy Install
*I Manually deleted all remaining Plug-Ins that came with DP from username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/
*I manually moved my remaining [dot-bundle] .bundle files (other MAS plugins that didn't come with DP) from my user directory to my hard-drive directory. Originally, some were at UserName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/ and I moved all those files to HardDriveName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/
*I manually deleted the folder called MAS from username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/
*I manually I deleted all files from both the user and hard-drive versions of Library/Preferences/ that had "motu" in their names, all ".plist" files
*I manually Deleted a folder called "Digital Performer™" from UserName/Library/Preferences/
*I manually Deleted HardDrive/Library/Audio/presets/Digital Performer/
*I manually Deleted the Auth-DigitalPerformer 5.0 file from my hard-drive via the Terminal (it's an invisible file)
*I manually deleted any/all extra/unnecessary MOTU apps/utilities from my Applications Folder... I had some out-dated FireWire Audio junk and some Un-Needed PCI junk.
*I re-booted from MAC OSX CD and REPAIRED PERMISSIONS (which incidentally were all good)
*After rebooting, I re-installed MOTU DP5, which does not run on my Leopard machine as version 5.0 (Unexpectedly Quits Etc)
*Installed the MOTU 5.1 Update
*Installed the MOTU 5.13 Update
*My Equalizer Plugins are back.
*Repaired Permissions (and the plugins are still back) DP is back to normal, at least for now.

Let me know if this solution doesn't work for you. I deleted so much junk manually that I may have left something out. 48 Hours of this kind of hell will do that to a guy.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my desperate plea!
DP 6.0.1
Intel iMac 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
Leopard
MOTU 828 (original)
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

andrewapeterson wrote:Here's what I did that finally solved this problem after 2 full days of suffering and searching for answers. I blogged it here:

*I uninstalled the DP software reverse-incrementally, starting with 5.13 in UNINSTALL mode, then DP 5.1 and finally the original DP 5 Installer on the CD.
*I repeated the same process AGAIN, but this time selected "MyHardDrive" rather than the "Applications Folder" as the target install directory, again selecting UNINSTALL rather than Easy Install
*I Manually deleted all remaining Plug-Ins that came with DP from username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/
*I manually moved my remaining [dot-bundle] .bundle files (other MAS plugins that didn't come with DP) from my user directory to my hard-drive directory. Originally, some were at UserName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/ and I moved all those files to HardDriveName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/
*I manually deleted the folder called MAS from username/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/
*I manually I deleted all files from both the user and hard-drive versions of Library/Preferences/ that had "motu" in their names, all ".plist" files
*I manually Deleted a folder called "Digital Performer™" from UserName/Library/Preferences/
*I manually Deleted HardDrive/Library/Audio/presets/Digital Performer/
*I manually Deleted the Auth-DigitalPerformer 5.0 file from my hard-drive via the Terminal (it's an invisible file)
*I manually deleted any/all extra/unnecessary MOTU apps/utilities from my Applications Folder... I had some out-dated FireWire Audio junk and some Un-Needed PCI junk.
*I re-booted from MAC OSX CD and REPAIRED PERMISSIONS (which incidentally were all good)
*After rebooting, I re-installed MOTU DP5, which does not run on my Leopard machine as version 5.0 (Unexpectedly Quits Etc)
*Installed the MOTU 5.1 Update
*Installed the MOTU 5.13 Update
*My Equalizer Plugins are back.
*Repaired Permissions (and the plugins are still back) DP is back to normal, at least for now.

Let me know if this solution doesn't work for you. I deleted so much junk manually that I may have left something out. 48 Hours of this kind of hell will do that to a guy.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my desperate plea!
Wow, can you make that into an applescript? :)
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
taylor12k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by taylor12k »

problem with this is.. as soon as you register 6.0, you no longer have access to the updates for 5.0.. so if you reinstall 5 from the discs, you're left with 5.0 and can't go to 5.13....

at least, when i go to MOTU's site, and click on DP updates. .it simply says i'm up to date.. and my registered software shows me ONLY 6.0.. not 5 anymore...

now what?

Frodo wrote:Uninstall DP

Go back to your install disc and reinstall it. Download ALL of the versions immediately after your install disc version up to and including 5.13.

Example--

5.0 Install disc
5.01 update
5.10 update
5.11 update
5.12 update
5.13 update

If your installer disc (as an example) is version 5.11, then only do the 5.12 and 5.13 updates.

I've you skipped any of these you may have skipped some important parts of the installation. It could also be that there was some particular file corruption or install error somewhere.

You could spend days trying to track down a single corrupt file. Even if you could pinpoint it, you'd have to reinstall something anyway and have everything done in 30 minutes. Nothing like a fresh start.
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

I'm also experiencing plugins not showing up in Leopard. A client upgraded to a 3.2GHz 8-core (running OS 10.5.4 and DP 5.13) and Auto-Tune & Fish Fillets (free) don't show up any more. I tried all the ideas mentioned in this thread, but nothing helped.

BTW here's the link for Fish Fillets:
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=5
taylor12k wrote:problem with this is.. as soon as you register 6.0, you no longer have access to the updates for 5.0.. so if you reinstall 5 from the discs, you're left with 5.0 and can't go to 5.13....

at least, when i go to MOTU's site, and click on DP updates. .it simply says i'm up to date.. and my registered software shows me ONLY 6.0.. not 5 anymore...
I wrote to MOTU tech support and complained that I couldn't download 5.x updates after registering 6.0. After trading a few emails, they asked for my surface mail address and mailed me a new 5.13 installer disc at no cost.

That doesn't help anyone today, but it might be a good idea to get the 5.13 disc if you can for future installation issues.
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
mocker

Post by mocker »

This is how I fixed this VERY annoying problem (DP6) :
I was using a French system, I switched to English language and RESTARTED my Mac, now everything's fine - so far - as the missing plugins syndrom was sometimes reappearing after a few DP 6 sessions.
I'm pretty surprised to discover how simple the solution was. The trick came from andrewapeterson's blog, in some user's comment :
jantoman

Post by jantoman »

It's definitely an issue caused by permissions.

I experienced it a few times: last time Proverb disappeared and MW Eq "lost" its name, "flipping" to the very top of the available plugins in the Mixing Board insert slot. This happened right after I created a new user account to solve another issue with MachFive DVD images, thanks to MOTU TechSupport's suggestion.
I logged out, changed user, repaired permissions, logged out and in with my account and everything was available again.

It's weird, because I'm using the same external FW disk for samples and sound libraries with both computers, but I never experienced this problem on my Mac Pro, while the MacBook Pro was affected several times. At least now I learned the trick to make things work.

I should take the time to perform a clean OS X install... but I guess I'll wait for Snow Leopard :)
Performer user since 1987 - DP user since 1996
Mac Pro 6,1 (6-Core Xeon E5 3,5 Ghz) 64 Gb RAM - MacBook Air i7 2,2 Ghz 8 Gb RAM - DP 11.22 - Apogee Duet - Korg Kronos - Kawai MP7 - Roland A800Pro - some old and trusty rackmount synths
arnopolaris
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by arnopolaris »

mocker wrote:This is how I fixed this VERY annoying problem (DP6) :
I was using a French system, I switched to English language and RESTARTED my Mac, now everything's fine - so far - as the missing plugins syndrom was sometimes reappearing after a few DP 6 sessions.
I'm pretty surprised to discover how simple the solution was. The trick came from andrewapeterson's blog, in some user's comment :

awsome man !! i had the same problem from time to time with the MW EQ not showing up though it was active in the mixer ... i was on a french OS too , just switched it to english and MW eq is showing up again !!
much thanks for the tip ! :)