James' DP6 Mixing Board mod 1.13 (links on 1st post)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jlaudon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.06 (links on 1st post)

Post by jlaudon »

I guess the upside of the triangle showing up is that sometimes the selection color doesn't contrast that much with the insert colors (on my setup), so at least this tells me which one is selected :P
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jlaudon wrote:I guess the upside of the triangle showing up is that sometimes the selection color doesn't contrast that much with the insert colors (on my setup), so at least this tells me which one is selected :P
That's true. The shade of blue I chose for effects on inserts is the same shade of blue as used in the Control Panel buttons when activated. However it's the exact same color blue as one of the default choices for the OS's selection colors, so I had to set a new system wide selection color.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

For a laugh I selected the old blue anodizing look of the previous Unicornation. I'm keeping it in there for old times sake. You can paste anything really like the dash of your car or Ringo's first Ludwig drums if you like...
:)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Timeline wrote:... still miss any actions on my multi requests for a longer, more resolute fader throw. One can only dream I guess. ;)
Agreed, Gary; if MOTU made this a mixing board mini-menu option, everyone would be happy IMHO.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
willheim

Post by willheim »

I like it - you are a programming genius!!

If I was still using I 6.01 would drop it in -

I had to go back again to 5.13. I can't work in 6.01 - it is too unstable. It crashes and hangs up all the time and it is slow when I go to change MIDI channels. Same set up works fine in 5.13. I am using all the usual suspects everyone is on a nice rig.
mac pro 2.66 2010 8 core w 48 gig 1600 ddr, Mac OS 10.6.8, DP 7.21, the usual plugs and stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.01

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Perhaps a new section in the forum for DP Skins? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bongo_x

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.01

Post by bongo_x »

BobK wrote:...
Speaking of those buttons, somebody tell me why the words 'solo,' 'mute', 'record,' and 'input' need to be written out. It's true that 'input' is not a standard mixer control, but the others are. This is another design choice that seems absurd to me. A considerable amount of space could be freed up by using square buttons with single-letters in the middle for these functions (like in Pro Tools, for example), replacing the four oversized buttons with two rows of two buttons (solo/mute and record/input). The freed-up space could be used for other things - such as to make the fader tracks longer, which would be much more useful...
I can't think of any other program where they are written out in their entirety. Sort of like writing "level" next to the fader.

Input is a standard control, if you consider that it's also the recorder.

bb
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.08 (links on 1st post)

Post by James Steele »

Okay... after much agonizing and going back and forth on pan knobs, etc. I've posted 1.08. I think this'll do me for a while.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jlaudon

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.08 (links on 1st post)

Post by jlaudon »

Looks cool (esp the hidden inserts). Just one suggestion - you might have change the subject of this thread to 'not so subtle' now :)
Timeline

Re: James' Mixing Board mod 1.08 (links on 1st post)

Post by Timeline »

Nice to see de-clutter on the inserts James. Good idea in a complicated world. :)

Is there though a way to leave some sort of outline or small button or even slightly tinted select area in it's place or do you just grab the empty space and do the insert?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Nice to see de-clutter on the inserts James. Good idea in a complicated world. :)

Is there though a way to leave some sort of outline or small button or even slightly tinted select area in it's place or do you just grab the empty space and do the insert?
You just click the empty space where the insert would be. I tried an outline and it really detracted. I even did very subtle triangles without an outline... also didn't like it as much. Thought I'd just try and get used to it. Any way, I'm putting up version 1.10 which fixes a problem in 1.08. One of the graphics in the 1.08 package was incorrectly named "3D Inserts.png". It wouldn't harm anything, but you might want to remove it before installing 1.10.

Coolest thing about 1.10 is that I've included a small icon to distinguish a MIDI track from an audio track.

billf

Re: James' Mixing Board mod 1.12 (links on 1st post)

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:Okay everyone... I haven't heard anything back from MOTU, so until I do I'm going to go ahead and post this. Please note that if I do get word from MOTU that they'd rather not have us passing these around, I will remove this and other threads from the board.

James, thanks for clarifying this at least from the perspective of a forum policy. I too have been waiting to hear from MOTU to get clarification on their position regarding the GUI mods. I'd like to post my mods, but reading the EULA has me concerned that doing so does violate the letter of the EULA, even though GUI mods would seem to be okay in the spirit of things.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I kind of think that MOTU probably won't reply one way or the other - here's why I think this - if they say no, they will be concerned there'll be some 'unhappy' feedback about inflexibility, and a call to make a better GUI, etc. If they say yes, they would be concerned that it sends the message that their GUI design 'needs' help. Silence is the best bet, unless some modders start making money from them. Anyway, my .02 (not sure which forum to post this, but mainly as a response to biilf - I want your mod! :) )
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I think you have a good point jiaudon if they do not respond I will tend to think this is a fact.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Is there though a way to leave some sort of outline or small button or even slightly tinted select area in it's place or do you just grab the empty space and do the insert?
I put a small oval indicating where the insert is. Also, I do have a version I haven't put up yet, eliminating the hard border on everywhere where the is a drop down menu. In a way, the more 1 pixel black lines in the mixer, the more I get a sense of feeling overwhelmed by the mixing board. Maybe I'll post that version as well.