James' DP6 Mixing Board mod 1.13 (links on 1st post)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.01

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote:
BobK wrote:
James Steele wrote:Yes, yes, yes! It's a real relief to hear you say this, since MOTU seems to be off on some other planet.
I don't know about that. They've done all the heavy lifting, so it's all well and good to come along and do a touch up here and there, but they deserve the credit for getting it all 95% of the way there. :D
Sorry - that was all a bit of a rant (and should have gone to the 'gripes' forum).
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.02

Post by James Steele »

No rant at all. I understand where you're coming from. It's hard to make a GUI that pleases everyone... I dare say impossible. I just don't want anyone from MOTU reading this and thinking I'm dissing the DP6 GUI, because I personally think it's light years better than DP5. I just did a little tweaking to suit my personal tastes.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.03

Post by James Steele »

Okay... I took a whack at it. DP5 style fader caps complete with subtle drop shadow of approximate same strength as that on pan knob. fader cap is about one pixel wider the old DP5 fader cap and a lighter shade of grey to fit better with DP6. It wouldn't hurt if it was a bit larger vertically, but one thing at a time.

I'm leaving the older version with the round DP6 style fader cap available in case some prefer that.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.03 (links on 1st post)

Post by BobK »

Nice!

I wonder...what if the caps were even lighter? I'm looking at my Allen & Heath (hardware) mixer, which has white fader caps. Just a thought.

Just took a glance at a screenshot of the DP 5.13 mixer. Even though it's gray fader caps on a dark gray background, it still seems easier on the eyes - I don't know why. Maybe it's that the saturated dark blue meter backgrounds in DP 6 are distracting...
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.03 (links on 1st post)

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:Nice!

I wonder...what if the caps were even lighter? I'm looking at my Allen & Heath (hardware) mixer, which has white fader caps. Just a thought.

Just took a glance at a screenshot of the DP 5.13 mixer. Even though it's gray fader caps on a dark gray background, it still seems easier on the eyes - I don't know why. Maybe it's that the saturated dark blue meter backgrounds in DP 6 are distracting...
You're killin' me here, Bob! :lol: :lol: Okay... I'm just about done with the "white" fader caps... just some lightening in Photoshop. You're right... it does "pop" a bit more! I'm done for now after this. I'll update this topic in just a minute...

James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.04 (links on 1st post)

Post by James Steele »

Okay... white fader caps version up... supercedes 1.03. Leaving 1.02 for those who like the old fader caps. Updates on 1st message of this thread.

Come to think of it... now that I look at it, I'm going to make those faders 2 pixels wider... so we have some chunky chicklets going on that you just can't miss. I'll just have to be sure it's cool with "narrow view." Stay tuned.

BobK

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.06 (links on 1st post)

Post by BobK »

I like the white caps a lot - much clearer.

Nice work! Thanks again!
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Those triangles are far away now for good ! And the grey unaffected buttons make things easier to read in a glance.
But, go figure, I like the new DP6 faders.
I never touch them anyway. All my mixes are built thru trim plug premixes and volume curve design automations in SE.
Thanks James for this handsome 1.01 mod.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Amazing how close yours is to mine James. I did a few other things though and love the fader knob and center slot BTW. I also borrowed the green VU's from Amplidood as were all sharing these days anyway.
Good mod indeed!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Amazing how close yours is to mine James. I did a few other things though and love the fader knob and center slot BTW. I also borrowed the green VU's from Amplidood as were all sharing these days anyway.
Good mod indeed!
Yeah... you know I tried the green level meters. It's simply a case of putting the right RGB values in the right place in the XML file, but after much experimenting I decided I just didn't care for the green levels after all. It's all so subjective you know. :D

kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Love the mods James. Between you and Amplidood it's damn near perfect! Those 3d fader tracks were nasty and super distracting. I missed how v5 had such a nice almost "serious/professional" look to it in the mixing board. I can't put my finger on it but the new one just looks so .... semi-pro. But with the two mods it's looking really promising now !! I realize the look has nothing to do with the actual sound or function but damn... they did set the precedence! Now once we get rid of that stupid pan knob all shall be perfect! Rock on.

Ken-
My Gear: MacPro 2.8ghz Quad (2010), 12 GB RAM, 4 internal HDs, OS 10.6.5, DP 7.21, MOTU 2408mkIII, MTP AV
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

You know guys it's interesting. When you compare the GUI png images to version 5 you find many of the rotary pots and moving stuff was increased in resolution about 25%. I find that quite encouraging but still miss any actions on my multi requests for a longer, more resolute fader throw. One can only dream I guess. ;)
newrigel

Re: James' subtle Mixing Board mod 1.01

Post by newrigel »

James Steele wrote:
FutureLegends wrote:Gah, that's irritating.
There's mainly little details like that that bother me with the interface now.
But not enough to use mods. But I wish MOTU addresses them in future updates...
I hear you. It's really not so bad and hasn't been unstable. You simply overwrite two .png files within the DP6 package and that's all there is to it. You don't even need to backup the entire DP6 application... just the original .png graphics being replaced. I know what you mean though. I didn't want to do something too radical... however, this change is a lot easier on the eyes. I may go back to getting rid of the triangle on inserts with plugs on them... but if you do click on them and they become selected the triangle will appear.

Personally I'm beginning to feel sometimes there's just too much photo-realism and things start feeling busy and cluttered. I'm not crazy about the recessed fader slots either. It just adds more "nosie" to the view for me. Sigh.
Hey James...
I'm TOTALLY with you on this one! The look has kinda f'ed with me for some time and it takes time to get used to. It's WAY too different for us old timers!
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I've played with the insert/send windows, and cut out the triangles - they should only show up when that particular VI/effect is selected.
Here's the file
http://jlaudon.onlinestoragesolution.co ... ID.png.zip
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jlaudon wrote:I've played with the insert/send windows, and cut out the triangles - they should only show up when that particular VI/effect is selected.
Here's the file
http://jlaudon.onlinestoragesolution.co ... ID.png.zip

Yes I know that. The inconsistent feel of having the triangles pop up when the effect was selected bothered me. I may remove them at some point, but I purposely left the triangles on effects. :)