DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

Leaving aside some of the functional issues to be resolved (plug-in compatibility, bugs), which statement below best describes your opinion of the new graphic look introduced with DP6?

A) I prefer it without reservation over DP 5.
18%
B) I prefer it over DP5, but I feel it's just a little "too bright."
11%
C) I prefer it over DP5, but it still needs a lot of work.
18%
D) I don't really care... they both (DP5 & DP6) are okay to me.
7%
E) I don't like it. I'd be glad to have a redesign, but this isn't close to what I'd like.
20%
F) I don't like it. DP5's graphic look was fine and MOTU should have left it alone.
26%

Total votes: 656

ssfm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

Post by ssfm »

I haven't had crashing during fade operations, but they do seem to take an awful lot of time to generate. I suppose it's partly because all the data is being read off the hard drive and then written back; it would probably be much faster with an SSD.

I have several gripes about the current DP6 GUI. The double title bars on the windows (the narrow one on top, and the larger one with the gradient below it) are really lame. It makes things very cluttered and visually confusing, especially when you have multiple overlapping windows (and no, consolidated windows is not always the solution!).

Then there's the event data that's displayed at the top of editing windows -- it's a big long line of numbers with no indication of what they mean. Every time I try to find a note-on velocity or a volume value it's a big pain to hunt for the correct field in that huge line of stuff.

A lot of the graphic elements are poorly designed, like the vertical slider that scrolls MIDI notes in the sequence window -- it's absurdly narrow. The Track Groups window has buttons to turn on and off various track groups, but the state indication is either white or light gray -- every time I look at this I have to ponder which color is on/off. Seriously MOTU, how about a big fat CHECKMARK in the box, or a nice bright GREEN SQUARE to indicate an active group? :x
dpdan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dpdan »

ssfm wrote: Then there's the event data that's displayed at the top of editing windows -- it's a big long line of numbers with no indication of what they mean. Every time I try to find a note-on velocity or a volume value it's a big pain to hunt for the correct field in that huge line of stuff.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, I HATE THAT STUFF
labman

Post by labman »

dpdan wrote:
ssfm wrote: Then there's the event data that's displayed at the top of editing windows -- it's a big long line of numbers with no indication of what they mean. Every time I try to find a note-on velocity or a volume value it's a big pain to hunt for the correct field in that huge line of stuff.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, I HATE THAT STUFF
I absolutely agree. Cant find velocities etc quickly at all
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
esteso

Re:

Post by esteso »

amplidood wrote: What's really funny is that the Pro Tools interface now looks AMAZING compared to this new DP thing. Especially if you know the secret trick for having a track's color reflected in all the info columns and channel strips on the mixer.
What's the trick?
Michael Telle
Vagabond Music
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Well it's not a secret or a trick anymore in PT8, it's part of the colour palette settings.......

Before in PT7 it was some combo of cmd, alt and mouse over the colour palette, I forget!! Someone else??

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
esteso

Post by esteso »

Been on DP6 for a couple of days. I think I'm gonna track with DP 'cause it interfaces with my MIOs and then port it over to Tools. I've been on DP for 20 years but after fairly recent instabilities (mostly CPU spike/ crashes and edit save beachballs) decided to branch out and see what else was going on. Never liked PT because of the lack of MIDI function or the GUI. Now, ironically it turns out DP6 is like early PT. And PT MIDI just got a lot better and just looks and functions amazingly. DP looks like a spreadsheet........ time to balance my checkbook.

But it's not that bad that it can't be fixed mostly with larger fonts and not so much wasted space. A little color brightness (darkness)/ saturation a la PT would go a LONG way.

I love a lot of the new functionality of DP. TO zoom. Takes delete behavior. (you have 3 takes, delete #2, you still have takes 1& 3.... not 1 &2. Maybe that changed in 5, don't know, but I love it. we used to have an incredible time finding what take was what after a while. I know..... comments. But there's not always time.

Yeah, gotta agree on the tiny disclosure triangles What the heck? It's not like there's no room for the mini menus. I'm trying to figure out how to put a pair of reading glasses over my pair of reading glasses. On a MBP you can zoom the screen but there's not much you can do once you're there.

It's got a lot better with the last 2 point releases. I bet it's going to get better yet.
Michael Telle
Vagabond Music
esteso

Post by esteso »

Well after another day with it I'm going to say that the only thing that really bothers me is the mixing board. Everything else I can live with. The blue faders suck and especially with no gradations of color to see basic levels, overloads and cautions. Takes away basic functionality for no good reason. Change for change sake. The solo, mute etc. buttons look way cartoon-y.

Give me those two things and I'll shut up. OK........ I'll shut up anyway. Old news for most.
Michael Telle
Vagabond Music
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

esteso wrote:The blue faders suck and especially with no gradations of color to see basic levels, overloads and cautions. Takes away basic functionality for no good reason. Change for change sake. The solo, mute etc. buttons look way cartoon-y.

Give me those two things and I'll shut up. OK........ I'll shut up anyway. Old news for most.
Hi Michael,
Your opinion matters.,, so please don't shut up :)
If nobody complains,, the folks at MOTU will assume we're thrilled.
Dan
ssfm

Post by ssfm »

esteso wrote: Change for change sake.
Really -- think of all the developer hours they wasted creating the DP5 GUI, only to change everything a short time later for DP6. I'm so tired of those double title bars that make DP6 windows such a cluttered mess visually, the illegible light gray on white design scheme (e.g. the track groups window), the obscure event data hieroglyphics, etc... SURELY DP6.0.3 will fix some or most of these atrocities, I hope!
Mickdoo22

Post by Mickdoo22 »

I have been using DP for a number of years, although the last several I have primarily been a PT guy. I have to say that for me, the new DP GUI is just REALLY poorly done. It's very harsh for me, and many of the functions and menus are SO small that it is almost impossible to see them. It feels like they felt like with DP 6 being a major upgrade, it wasn't enough to improve the functionality, they felt they had to change the look to make it look new. But for me, it was a MAJOR step back...at least visually.
melenko

Post by melenko »

All of those replies were wroten a few posts ago, with no answer.So... what can we expect?
sorry for the bad english writing.
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I haven't looked back at 5, but I'm cool with 6 after a relatively shot learning curve. I still can't stop trying to select tracks in the sequence window via the old 5 way, though.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

I've gotten over the GUI and come to accept its flaws. It's now significantly behind Pro Tools & Logic in looks, but hey, it's still easier on the eyes than Cubase! :mrgreen:
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

In addition to the fields not being labeled as clearly as one might like, the font is TINY! ! ! ! ! That's my objection. PLus if you click on the End Location Measures Field, it always mistakenly highlights the End Location Beats Field.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I think it’s awesome. (I may have already posted here – been awhile) There are a lot of very nice points and I have gotten used to the one large window. There are a couple of things I wish they would have incorporated like values being a little bigger or popping up at the edit point.. (Small gripe) I’ve been using DP since 2.7 and every version gets a little better. This by far is the best. Track comping and pitch correction, etc…. list goes on. I run it on a MacMini 2.0Ghz 1G Ram and have no problems – The GUI looks great.

dpg4macman : )

My latest work with DP6 - Enjoy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI6D6btEr04