DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

Leaving aside some of the functional issues to be resolved (plug-in compatibility, bugs), which statement below best describes your opinion of the new graphic look introduced with DP6?

A) I prefer it without reservation over DP 5.
18%
B) I prefer it over DP5, but I feel it's just a little "too bright."
11%
C) I prefer it over DP5, but it still needs a lot of work.
18%
D) I don't really care... they both (DP5 & DP6) are okay to me.
7%
E) I don't like it. I'd be glad to have a redesign, but this isn't close to what I'd like.
20%
F) I don't like it. DP5's graphic look was fine and MOTU should have left it alone.
26%

Total votes: 656

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

Post by James Steele »

I made up a small poll. I'm only allowed one question and multiple answers, so I did my best. Granted this is imperfect, but try to pick the answer that *best describes* your opinion about the new graphic look of DP6. I'm curious what users here think.
Last edited by James Steele on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

From what I've seen, I fall into an odd combo of categories--

"The colors and brightness don't bother me, but it does need a little work".

Mainly, I found the Transport more difficult to read than it was in previous versions. That's less about colors than it is about spacing and choices of icon sizes.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I couldn't think of all the various possibilities. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Last edited by Tritonemusic on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

James Steele wrote:Yeah... I couldn't think of all the various possibilities. :(
That's okay, James. You made some great choices which made me think. Granted, I've not used 6 at length -- and it's been a while since I've had my hands on it. While I hesitate to say that it needs a "lot" of work, it would be nice to have more GUI customization features.

But first and foremost for me, it's the ergonomics where the GUI is concerned. We've seen that the colors can be edited if it's important enough to do so, but I found myself squinting too much because of the small fonts and icons.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

That's a tough one. I too fall into several categories. I'm pretty much ok with the layout, at least I'm giving myself some time to get use to it.

It's too bright, but also and even more importantly, I can't read a lot of the numbers clearly.

I probably really would have preferred a completely different color scheme - darker over all.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tripit@earthlink.net wrote:That's a tough one. I too fall into several categories. I'm pretty much ok with the layout, at least I'm giving myself some time to get use to it.

It's too bright, but also and even more importantly, I can't read a lot of the numbers clearly.

I probably really would have preferred a completely different color scheme - darker over all.
I think that would make you either a C or E.

tripit@earthlink.net

Post by tripit@earthlink.net »

James Steele wrote:
tripit@earthlink.net wrote:That's a tough one. I too fall into several categories. I'm pretty much ok with the layout, at least I'm giving myself some time to get use to it.

I think that would make you either a C or E.
Yeah I ended up with C
Tonio Ruiz

Post by Tonio Ruiz »

I've vote for B, eventhough C caught my attention aswell

but over all, I'm happy with DP6, I've only tried it for a couple of hours though, I'm having my studio furniture changed so, I cannot dig anymore for a few days.. BUT I LIKE IT
Enjoy Life!!!!
http://www.trmixroom.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tonioruiz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro quad 2.66 5gig RAM/ MOTU HD192 Core System 24ch / MOTU 1224 / DP7.2 / MOTU Micro Express / Waves CLA bundle / Melodyne / ProTools LE 8.03/ Analog Mixer / Analog Outboard
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Since we're not being terribly anonymous around here, I guess I'll fess up and reveal that I voted E. I actually prefer the GUI to DP5 over that of 6. I was quite comfortable with it, and it served me well. It was also MUCH more cooperative with Spaces. I'm not terribly fond of the new layout of info: cursor, selection, and MIDI grid stuff. I may find myself loving it in a month or two; I don't know. But for now I do find myself craving my old familiar interface.

The loss of several useful items: solo/play/record buttons, and the old "Selection" button where a single click on the word Selection would select everything, are productivity losses for me, but I know plenty of work-arounds. I just miss the ease of the old way.

I DO like the stretchable Tracks Overview window, but guess where mine is set. Right where it was in DP5.

So, yes, the GUI is a bust as far as I'm concerned. But it doesn't change my preference for DP over other DAWs. In other words, I'm ok with it, because I know it had to be: we going Cocoa, baby, and Cocoa want new windows. What Cocoa want, she get.

And that's fine with me. But I voted E.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Bill O'C

Post by Bill O'C »

The design has gone in the right direction, IMO. One can debate whether or not the track list is necessary, but the vertical resizing is a *huge* improvement.

I'd like to see text entry boxes a little bigger, and a more efficient use of space overall.

As far as CPU usage goes, I have not yet had the opportunity to test it on a large project.

And I'd like to see the GUI made skinnable--even if only with a handful of MOTU-approved bitmaps.

Regards,

Bill
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Last edited by Tritonemusic on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

you and me both 666. But I'm not terribly concerned about the look. After a while, I forget all about it. It's not like I can't get anything done because it looks too stark. But I'd be happier in general if it had more of its old interface elements in it. I don't know why I'm even writing in this thread. It's not bothering me THAT much. But James asked our opinions, and that was my opinion.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
aizo

Post by aizo »

I choose C. I love the new look of the interface. Even though I like all the past DP's(wow this is the only forum I can use DP without someone chuckling like a school girl....)GUI. I've grown tired of the look and feel it's aged a bit.
I like the new direction. Some possible tweaks here and there should be pretty good.
MacBook(black)2.0/2.0/200(OSX10.4.1), iMac 20" 2.4/2.0/300(OSX10.5), DP 5.13(soon 6?), Ableton Live 7, MX4, MSI, Vanguard, Blue, Reason 3, Zebra 2, Sylenth 1, Automat, Komplete 5, Effectrix, PSP Vintage Warmer, Altiverb, Ozone, Trash, Vinyl, (old)828, 128 express, Wacom Bamboo,(2)Presonus Tube Pre, Roland JP-8000, Roland MC-909, Roland SH-201, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Pearl Drums, Paiste/Zildjian cymbals, ESP Viper, Shamisen, Shakuhachi
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:Since we're not being terribly anonymous around here, I guess I'll fess up and reveal that I voted E.
As they used to say on American Bandstand... "I'll give it a 90."

I voted F but should have voted E as well. I love change, but I also like being able to find stuff afterwards and the big bugaboo for me is the small font vs. all the white space. I can read the font, but it's so damn tiny. What is it, like 8pt? Who uses fonts that small except the US Treasury and used car salesmen?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS