DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

Leaving aside some of the functional issues to be resolved (plug-in compatibility, bugs), which statement below best describes your opinion of the new graphic look introduced with DP6?

A) I prefer it without reservation over DP 5.
18%
B) I prefer it over DP5, but I feel it's just a little "too bright."
11%
C) I prefer it over DP5, but it still needs a lot of work.
18%
D) I don't really care... they both (DP5 & DP6) are okay to me.
7%
E) I don't like it. I'd be glad to have a redesign, but this isn't close to what I'd like.
20%
F) I don't like it. DP5's graphic look was fine and MOTU should have left it alone.
26%

Total votes: 656

The Sound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

Post by The Sound »

bayswater wrote: Colour picker is there, but the point was that there is a coloured bar there as well acting as background to the track name. On the mixer, if there' a colour picker, it's well hidden.

To The Sound, just what is it you think is missing?

Hmmm...maybe I am missing something, but what I meant was that I do not like working with "multiple colored waveforms", but I like using different colors for different kinds of tracks.

Under previous versions, I used a uniform color (dark blue) for all of the _actual waveforms themselves_, but as you know, their different color designations were present at the top of each soundbite in the sequence editor.

Now, it appears to me that the only way to have a common dark color for the waveforms themselves is to choose the option (paraphrased) "make everything black and use no color designations for anything", which of course gives me uniform waveform color, but no track distinction "at-a glance" with my chosen colors.

Does any of this even make sense, or am I not using useful terminology?

Thanks!

-Matt

P.S. I have not been here in a long time due to no internet access in the studio, but I recall that there was a way to change the length of time it takes for the meta-tags to pop-up now that DP is cocoa, but I have tried using the search function here to no avail. Does any one know where that info is?
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

kats_corner wrote:Thank you...? you're welcome...? it's all good. :-)
Thank you to you as well! :) I haven't used those color pickers for a while so I wasn't shure about it and didn't have much to say. But as you posted that shortcut it all came to me, I've used it too some time ago.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

e-snobben wrote: Thank you to you as well! :) I haven't used those color pickers for a while so I wasn't shure about it and didn't have much to say. But as you posted that shortcut it all came to me, I've used it too some time ago.
So, to change the colour of the track,
a) control-click somewhere on the colour bar in one place,
b) click on a specific spot on the colour bar (the track type icon) in another,
c) click on the colour patch in the "colr" column in another.
d) In the track selector the name and colour appears but there is nowhere to change it
e) the track inspector behaves like the sequence editor.
f) The editor info strips will show the track name and colour if you turn it on, but won't let you change the colour.

I think someone has suggested before that it may be better to use the same graphic objects to represent the same function in different places, to use the same colour to represent the state of an object in different places, and to use the same keyboard and mouse functions to perform the same function.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

bayswater wrote: I think someone has suggested before that it may be better to use the same graphic objects to represent the same function in different places, to use the same colour to represent the state of an object in different places, and to use the same keyboard and mouse functions to perform the same function.
Yes I agree about that. But when it comes to the Mixing Window and colors it's different since they appear behind the track names. As always option-clicking is for changing the name, but to change the color you have to do something else of course. As already stated, one could expect this to be brought up in the manual. Maybe they've forgotten about it or maybe they expected users to figure it out by themselves, or maybe they thought there are enough examples of editing what may be regarded as a less important subfeature. Come to think of it you rarely need to change colors on the fly while mixing for instance. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have all of the functions "flyabled". :)
anthonylloyd
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by anthonylloyd »

I could not be less satisfied with the GUI in DP6. It looks like it was whipped up on a weekend afternoon by a flunking junior college student as an after thought, in a last ditch effort to "get-by" with a 'D'. I thought DP5 was rather bland, but it shines by comparison.
Needless to say, I chose E.
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Hey Anthony,

Just wondering if you looking at the same program I am? You have to be kidding - right?

dpg4macman : )
cocofiollo

Re: DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it? CUSTOM Way

Post by cocofiollo »

Hi, dp world!

i"am customize the dp mix board, for my using job!

i'am from Reunion island,

my custom dp6

Plugins insert & btns

fader and mode solo

Control panel off/on
vers 2

By & best regard! 8)
Last edited by cocofiollo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's worthy to mention that the people who designed DP's new interface didn't just draw arbitrary lines on the screen or add arbitrary buttons and windows. They had specific possibilities in mind as regards workflows. MOTU has never been one to lay out the workflow for you and say "this is it. This is the way it's done." Some processes have so many ways to do the same thing that I lose track of them all. So, when MOTU added the readouts optionally at the top of each window, the context-sensitive channel strip, similar keyboard commands in each window, the inline compressor and EQ interfaces in channel strips, a LOT of new preferences, entire sidebar windows devoted to track selections or event information, and many more new features; they were enabling us to create new workflows that make more sense and are more consistent within themselves.

I think they have done a marvelous job of giving us new ways to do things without taking away our old ways in nearly all cases. It's up to us to explore the features, commands, and prefs and figure out the new possibilities. While I understand the initial frustration of looking at your longtime old friend and seeing someone you don't even recognize, I assure you it wasn't merely a face-lift. I've gradually been learning to use it, to immediately know where to look for things (including event and selection information in the window headers), and to make the most of the new inline readouts and the channel strip, as well as a lot more. This is really becoming excellent.

In light of that, let me add that I was one of the initial critics of the new look. All I could think of was that it was too bright, too bare, and things seemed arbitrarily moved and hidden from me. I also said at the time that within a year I'd probably love it. That was an accurate prediction; I wouldn't go back now. It's very intelligently designed; I'm really enjoying the way(s) I'm working now. So, my advice to anyone who finds "hate at first sight," or even "disappointment after the 1st date," is to give her time. Explore. Try out things you normally wouldn't. In time you'll find much to like about this new interface.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

just realized that the "new look" Movie window for DP6 (and probably DP7) have dropped the Lock icon that indicated whether or not the Movie was locked to transport. You have to go in to the menu>mini-menu to see if it's locked or not.
not a good idea for anyone scoring to film/picture. the movie eats up a hunk of processor/memory resources when it's locked and rolling with a sequece. obviously, there are times when you *need* it locked and rolling, but many more when you don't.
I've always had a Key setup to Lock or UnLock the movie with a click, but i could always glance at the top of the movie window to check whether or not it was locked before begining a playback or record pass. taking away that little icon will not help the workflow
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
The Sound

Post by The Sound »

Shooshie wrote: I think they have done a marvelous job of giving us new ways to do things without taking away our old ways in nearly all cases.

In time you'll find much to like about this new interface.

Shooshie

Yeah, that's great; searching for mini menus is not a big deal, but the reason I am having a problem with it is because my eyes actually hurt within minutes of working in the sequence editor.

Nearly all doesn't cut it when you can't work. Am I the only one who's it having trouble with this? If so, how did you guys get around it or fix it?

I don't really have the time or the inclination to go and change color schemes track by track on ~380 project files.

-Matt
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The Sound wrote:
Shooshie wrote: I think they have done a marvelous job of giving us new ways to do things without taking away our old ways in nearly all cases.

In time you'll find much to like about this new interface.

Shooshie
Yeah, that's great; searching for mini menus is not a big deal, but the reason I am having a problem with it is because my eyes actually hurt within minutes of working in the sequence editor.

Nearly all doesn't cut it when you can't work. Am I the only one who's it having trouble with this? If so, how did you guys get around it or fix it?
-Matt
Is it possible that a lot of the people having these problems are working in poor lighting environments in the first place, aggravated by a brighter GUI? I like some of the alternatives that have come from amp and iperformer because they are more pleasing to look at, but I haven't had any real problems working several hours at a stretch with the factory DP screens (aside from some of the microscopic fonts).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Hey Coco,

Looks great! Thanks my man.

dpg4macman : )
KOEN

Post by KOEN »

Hi,
DP user since 1999. Finally made the jump from 5.13 to 6.02
As far as 'features' go, big thumbs up. But, the look of it, Lord Almighty, I find it dreadful. A no class, pseudo progressive, old-school-ProTools, 2D, 'bussiness environment'-like piece of work. I'm very dissapointed.
Would it be hard to make a DP5 skin? I'm even willing to pay for it.
That was all folks...
sacknell

Post by sacknell »

KOEN wrote:Hi,
DP user since 1999. Finally made the jump from 5.13 to 6.02
As far as 'features' go, big thumbs up. But, the look of it, Lord Almighty, I find it dreadful. A no class, pseudo progressive, old-school-ProTools, 2D, 'bussiness environment'-like piece of work. I'm very dissapointed.
Would it be hard to make a DP5 skin? I'm even willing to pay for it.
That was all folks...
I think a few of us said we were willing to pay for a DP5 skin, but no response from the the "TOWER"..... I guess getting the 'lightning' to strike again is harder than flying a kite. "Master....... It's Alive, but uhhhh, what is it??????"
DP, ProTools,Reason,Mashine, Mac 6core 2013, 4core MacBook Pro, Waves, Slate VMS ONE, McDsp, Softube etc.. Avid S3, Yamaha 01V96i, Digi 003, and a whole lot of 'the next best thing' analog gear, slowly exiting the workspace!!
midiw

Post by midiw »

Mr Magoo sezs that it clearly has that snowyleopard look.

We find that in DP7 we have to change our display sizes more often generally going to the 800 x 600 more then before DP 6.

And I still wish they would allow the user to increase the height of the tracks in a track view window. 50 tracks or more tracks in a window is very hard for Mr Magoo to see clearly.
Mac OS: Mojave