MacOS error: Unexpected error (18) when opening pre-'08 file

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mattymac1000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS error: Unexpected error (18) when opening pre-'08 file

Post by mattymac1000 »

Very odd. I get the above error when trying to open any project done in DP prior to 2008. How crazy is that? I can't open them in DP5 anymore either.

Does anybody know what this means or how I can open my hundreds of DP projects completed pre-2008?
iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB memory, OS X v10.6.1; DP 6.02; Absynth 4.0.2, PSP's MixPack 2, Cycle '74's Pluggo, AmpliTube, Motu 828; Alesis QS6, G&L Invader (1985); Parkwood 360M guitar; Line 6 Pod; MOTU Fastlane, Radio Shack mic
skylightmusic

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (18) when opening pre-'08 file

Post by skylightmusic »

I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
Brian Kelly
Composer/Pianist
jnunally

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (18) when opening pre-'08 file

Post by jnunally »

Try Load from the file menu. Then select the chunk(s). You will have to start with a new file.
I believe that DP uses different file names for audio files starting at DP5. This may be where your problem is coming from.
If you do do Load, watch what happens. If it loads files for a while then stops at a certain point, your file names may be to long, over 31 characters. I had this problem when trying to open files created in DP4 when opening in DP5, because DP5 renames the files with an added acronym. It think I got a corrupt file message, but in actuality it was simply the file names were too long. I shortened the file names and everything loaded perfect.

Hope this helps,
Jim
allemande

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (18) when opening pre-'08

Post by allemande »

I also had this problem with older DP files and it turned out that there were older Autotune plugins that prevented the session from loading. Here is a solution:
Start the DP session while holding down the 'shift' key- this will disable the MOTU Audio System. The session will load but will not be able to play back. You will get a message saying something like "...Plugins missing". Clear the missing plugins and then go to "Menu" and "Audio System". Select MOTU Audio System to activate it and the session should play fine.
STUDIO 330•ALLEMANDE MUSIC
MOTU 7.24 on Mac Pro Quad core
Cranesong Hedd 192, 2408Mk3 (2),192 HD, 896MK3&896,
Avalon 737, Mindprint, DBX 580, 530, SSL VHD, Lindell 6X-500, Neve 542, TK Audio 501&500, dbx 160sl, 166, 163, 160, Tascam 4800, Geithain 903 monitors, etc.