Best piano sample library? especially Steinway?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

I wrote a long piece on Vi's and my relationship to them, and the evolution of instruments and performance practice. (I love to study the history of instruments; music history is actually a pastime of mine) But it all came together in the last paragraph, so I erased pages of stuff and left this. (You can thank me later. ;))

As one with the "real world" chops to go note for note against any player, I think I speak with a certain amount of authority in regard to VI's. I do not fear them, nor do I fear the rejection some people feel compelled to heap upon them. It's a helluva lot of fun to play these things, and the people around me thoroughly enjoy them. I saw an entry in my daughter's diary one day, which she'd left open on the table. It said "Dad's over there playing Bach suites on cello and bassoon again, and it's all electronic. And you know what? He sounds damn good! Wow. Cool to live around someone like that."

And I'll let it go with that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zed

Post by zed »

Shooshie wrote:I saw an entry in my daughter's diary one day, which she'd left open on the table. It said "Dad's over there playing Bach suites on cello and bassoon again, and it's all electronic. And you know what? He sounds damn good! Wow. Cool to live around someone like that."
That's so sweet. Except that... she left out the accompanying thought which was in her head: "Of course he sounds even better when he plays his REAL wind instruments..." :shock: :twisted:

But I hope you know that I am just yanking your chain! Just messing with you Shoosh! Nice anecdote.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote: I saw an entry in my daughter's diary one day, which she'd left open on the table. It said "Dad's over there playing Bach suites on cello and bassoon again, and it's all electronic. And you know what? He sounds damn good! Wow. Cool to live around someone like that."

Shooshie
That's cool man..I'm in the process of getting my daughter a deal, she's 12...

It's cool when our kids get us..how old is your daughter?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:
Shooshie wrote: I saw an entry in my daughter's diary one day, which she'd left open on the table. It said "Dad's over there playing Bach suites on cello and bassoon again, and it's all electronic. And you know what? He sounds damn good! Wow. Cool to live around someone like that."

Shooshie

Hehe... she's 20 now. Wrapping up her sophomore year at Yale. She turned out rather nicely! I think it was all the Bach Suites. She ended up learning one of them, a violin partita, actually, on piano. The E-major partita with the moto-perpetuo preludio. I never said a word about it. She heard some recordings, including mine, and the next thing I know she's learning it at the piano. Didn't stop until she could play it all by memory. Up tempo. Blew my mind. She's a real music lover, that one.

I'll bet yours is, too. Tell her that music makes her smarter. And guys think it's cool when a girl picks up a guitar and shreds tastefully.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:

Shooshie

Hehe... she's 20 now. Wrapping up her sophomore year at Yale. She turned out rather nicely! I think it was all the Bach Suites. She ended up learning one of them, a violin partita, actually, on piano. The E-major partita with the moto-perpetuo preludio. I never said a word about it. She heard some recordings, including mine, and the next thing I know she's learning it at the piano. Didn't stop until she could play it all by memory. Up tempo. Blew my mind. She's a real music lover, that one.

I'll bet yours is, too. Tell her that music makes her smarter. And guys think it's cool when a girl picks up a guitar and shreds tastefully.

Shoosh
LOL..shreds..yeah but like I said.I love piano more than the world class guitar I play..thus, I am working her on piano a lot...she has a little classical guiatr and plays occasionally..but I make her practise Piano every day

my older 18 yr old did the same thing..she learned a classical piece all by herself from one of them casio keyboards I got for my YOUNGER daughter...it shows you the fingerings..she learns on the casio, and then goes to the grand piano to play it..and again, I say little to her as it is just fun for her...

Ah yes..kids..
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Renaissance Man

Post by Renaissance Man »

You guys are blessed, I've got a little dog and can't even teach him to howl!
Mac Pro Early 2008 8-core 2.8, 16GB RAM, SSD, El Capitan, DP9.5.4; Waves Mercury V9.6 + SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, racks full of outboard, 90 microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion etc...