Best piano sample library? especially Steinway?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Frodo »

Shooshie wrote:... It's over the top. They might use it as a sales feature, but I think a recording would be a bit noisy with it. On the other hand, I've always liked a little more of that in my recordings -- especially the stuff in the mids and low registers -- than most people. But that was too much in my opinion. What do you think?

Shooshie
Hmm.

I can't disagree with you-- but when I shop for such features I'd rather have too much along with the ability to dial it back rather than to have not enough and wish I had more.

That's not to say that I've ever felt Ivory doesn't have enough, but once again it was nice hearing the seven different excerpts with varying degrees of resonance. As a sales pitch, perhaps they were showing the max amount for resonance for each library? Dunno.

if these pianos are virtual reality as they are, then mp3 demos can be even less virtual or less "real" and more artificial. That's why I hesitate to judge-- but my gut agrees with you.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I just tested Ivory's Sustain Resonance dialed all the way up, and it was at least double or triple the best of the other pianos in the Blüthner examples, but still wayyy shy of of the Blüthner's own sustain resonance. Ivory's is about what I'd expect for it to be if dialed to the top. Blüthner's really sounds unnatural to me. I don't think I've ever heard that loud of an "air noise" that could sustain that long with virtually no decline curve until the pedal was released. It's just... too much!

I'll leave the Blüthner for someone else! I'll stick with Ivory!

:)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just tested Akoustik Piano's "air" sustain. Wow! It's almost as long as the Blüthner's. But it sounds more realistic. Plus, you hear the dampers on the strings when you release the pedal. The air noise doesn't overwhelm the music, but it's there, and it lasts.

{edit #1} Oh... I just turned it all the way up. It actually is BIGGER than the Blüthner's. Plus the keys can make a loud knock upon release, if you turn it all the way up.

{edit #2} WOW! I Just realized that Ivory has a menu setting as well, and I had it set to Medium Resonance. I just put it on Extra Resonant, and it out-resonated the Blüthner!

Geez. It's all there in Ivory. Just gotta know where to find it. Still... I'm not going to record anything at that level.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
blue

Post by blue »

That example of the resonances in the Blüthner demo is just to show how the piano was captured, the raw samples so to speak. From what I understand, the power behind this VI is in the timbral impulse responses that are included. With those, you can shape the sound of the piano pretty much however you'd like. There are something like 250 different impulses (captured from different pianos), not to be confused with reverb impulse responses.

I'm not the best one to compare the merits of each of the available piano VIs, but for my money I'd like something I can shape for any given project. The Blüthner seems to give you options not currently available in other piano VIs.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Which means you've got to filter it out? Hmmm... I don't know. I think I'd have to play each one for a year to tell you exactly which is the better one. ;) But I can say positively, without a doubt, truly, factually, and totally accurately that I'm happy with Ivory and Akoustik Piano. Between the two of them, I feel as though I can accomplish pretty much anything pianistically that I might encounter. Including a head-in-the-piano recording. :D
blue

Post by blue »

Shooshie wrote:Which means you've got to filter it out?
That's my understanding. But isn't that sort of what happens in life?

I have both Ivory and Akoustic Piano, and I love them both. Sometimes they fit nicely within the context of whatever music I'm writing, other times they don't. Each has a tonal fingerprint that, though beautiful, is hard to get past if it's not right for the occasion. It would be nice to have, in addition to Ivory and AP, a more "neutral" set of samples that can be manipulated as needed. I might have to pick up the Blüthner. Just as soon as I buy a ton of other things. :? :cry: :)
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

That's what I'm thinking. Perhaps I'm less monogamous with VIs than I used to be, but then again I don't have a Blüthner piano. I've been considering Akoustik just for the Bechstein-- another yummy piano, imho.

$299 list for the Blüthner? That's really not bad.

I might be more hesitant to venture away from Ivory for the sake of just another Steinway or Yamaha. However, I'd be keen to have a *Hamburg* Steinway to work with if a good one were out there.

I had originally planned on buying both Akoustik and Ivory at the same time. My local music store had both installed on a MacPro and I tried them both. The only reason why I passed on Akoustik was because it kept crashing-- but that was some time ago. Maybe I just have the touch of death or something because I know others have it and it's working well for them.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The version 1 of AP would crash in stand-alone mode, especially if you tried to use its built-in sequencer. It's pretty stable now, if you get it up-to-date at NI's site. There's a bug they need to fix. You've got to be careful not to get it into a yes/no dialog. If so, you'll have to force-quit the host. So, always change the name before you save a setup. Otherwise it'll ask you if you want to over-write the previous version, and you'll have to answer yes/no to a spinning beach-ball.... Until you force-quit. NI is aware of it and may have fixed it already.

Well, what can I say? I wouldn't mind having that Blüthner, either, but after trying Garritan's solo violin and solo cello, I'm pretty impressed with that fellow. Yeah, I know those Italian guys did the hard part, but I've since been impressed with his other work, too. The guy seems to understand musicians and performing, and he's made his library very usable and very well thought out, while keeping to his goal of making the instruments affordable for anyone. I'm going to try to give him my business on his new Steinway if it's priced right, and if it turns out as good as that cello and violin.

Man, it's a great time to be alive. All I want is to be sure that we performer types keep our chips in the ante, so that great music and VI's don't necessarily get a reputation for being unrelated. There's no reason why we can't make VI performance as serious as any other, and record fantastic music this way. It doesn't matter who wins each hand, as long as we all stay in the game.

Shooshie
zed

Post by zed »

HCMarkus wrote:However, when we play Ivory or any sample-based VI, we are playing recordings of individual notes. When we play a real piano, we are playing a unified instrument, which is then recorded as a whole. The interaction between resonating strings is ever-changing, depending on factors and relationships that no VI has yet to satisfactorily reproduce. No sample-based VI, to my knowledge, will allow one to set non-played strings in motion by exciting harmonically-related notes. This happens as a matter of course with a real piano.
You hit the nail on the head with that one.
Shooshie wrote:
Frodo wrote:The Blüthner Model One takes this concept a step further...
That much "sustain" in the upper register is going to get really noisy. You don't hear that in a piano from 10 feet away. That's "head-in-the-piano" stuff. I love putting my head in a piano and listening to the harmonics and dissonances roll through the strings, but when you close mic a piano you have to balance that kind of thing with what you'd really expect to hear in the audience at a piano concert -- even if you were sitting 10 feet from the piano. What I heard in that recording isn't it. It's over the top. They might use it as a sales feature, but I think a recording would be a bit noisy with it. On the other hand, I've always liked a little more of that in my recordings -- especially the stuff in the mids and low registers -- than most people. But that was too much in my opinion. What do you think?
I actually really like that "head-in-the-piano" kind of sound. When I record on my parent's piano, that is the kind of sound I get and relish. It is like you are sitting right at the piano with an open lid, and the string vibrations themselves get to become performers right alongside the pianist. 8)

I guess this is really a matter of taste and genre. I like a close piano sound, and even with classical music, if given the choice, I would probably prefer a closed mic recording than something recorded from more than 10 feet away.

And this leads to another point... if you are going to recreate the sound of a piano in a concert hall, then using Altiverb to put a VI piano in that space is definitely going to help hide any inherent flaws in the realism of the VI piano. Getting it to sound authentic when up close and personal is much more difficult, in my opinion. Just a couple of days ago, a friend was playing me a piece over the phone, and with the sound of his room in the background the piece sounded unbelievably spectacular! But then he sent me the file, and I played it directly through my studio monitors, and I thought the piano sounded disappointingly phoney. :-(

I have yet to find a VI piano that really, really does it for me. I am interested in the new Garriton Steinway and the Blüthner. We'll see how the year unfolds.

P.S. I don't actually have Ivory or Akoustik Piano, though I have heard recordings of them. With Shooshie's discovery of further resonance options in Akoustic Piano, I think I should probably pay a visit to a friend (who I think has both) and play around with them a little a more.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for sharing those samples Frodo. It was very interesting to hear the various VI takes on the piano. And yeah Shooshie, I think the Blüthner IS over the top, I guess only to be reigned in by the convolved filters.

Yes, it is a great time to be alive. Remember when getting a decent acoustic piano sound meant bringing a real piano to the gig? I guess I am thankful for those days, however, as Harold Rhodes may have never invented his wonderful instrument if Ivory had been available back then. CP70? Never did much for me, but thick helpings of syrup-laden Rhodes tone have caused me to bliss out on many occasions over the years.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
zed

Post by zed »

Well... I've just been listening to a few of my favorite pop recordings on which piano is a primary instrument, and I was going to take back my statement about more often preferring close micing than something recorded from 10 feet away... but...

The funny thing is, on those recordings the microphones seem like they are some distance from the piano, and yet the impression in my mind from listening to these songs (for years) is that the piano was miced rather closely and had presence. But tonight I was thinking otherwise.

I listened to Hey Jude which I have always felt to be close miced, and was surprised to discover that the piano actually seemed to be across the room, which is not how I remember it from years of listening to that song. But then, when I went to refer to the recording setup in Recording the Beatles, I was surprised to see that that the mic WAS placed right inside the piano, right over the strings and under the lid, confirming the close mic impression that I have always had.

So... maybe I have a few screws loose. Methinks I would be advised to be more flexible on matters of distance. :-)

I also listened to that Blüthner example again, and after hearing all the other stuff I listened to tonight, I would agree that such intense resonance would definitely not suit most recordings. I would certainly enjoy using it for certain kinds of songs or passages, but I agree that for most applications it would probably sound unnatural and a little too "head-in-the-piano".

Hmmmmm.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Specially the low velocity in the bass key range of the Bluthner are astounding.

Getting on topic again :
IMHO the result of *recorded* pieces of real piano playing versus VI piano playing is already some sort of lost case.
But here's a different story : thru any deep tuned *monitoring system / room*, it will surely be extremely hard to create the whole sensations and feelings of a pianist hitting any real good piano in a good room.
Please don't mention earphones here !
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
zed

Post by zed »

Any participants of this thread who haven't seen the Piano Test which Shooshie prepared for us in a new thread should check it out, and try your luck, before he posts the results:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26344
Renaissance Man

Post by Renaissance Man »

Guys,
All of your comments have been most informative, educational and a huge help to me in wading through the vastness of this subject.
I just spoke with my client regarding the "real Steinway B" vs. virtual pianos. He doesn't mind the K2600 controller because he uses Kurzweil controllers part of the time. At least that's an aspect he's willing to work with. The interaction between the player and the instrument is quite important and is an issue I think we can address by setting up a good monitoring system with the keyboard controller in the studio. Again, a compromise he's willing to embrace if the resulting recording delivers the goods.

For me there's no escaping the fact that now is the time to upgrade both my hardware and software (still using D3 on a G4 1.25 dual MDD). If you will indulge me I'd like to hear your take on my plans.
A new Mac Pro 2.8Ghz, 8core, Leopard, "standard issue" with the exception of the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card upgrade and Applecare. The video card may or may not be called for, but I'm willing to invest a few hundred dollars rather than take my chances.
8GB of aftermarket RAM (if I can find anyone who has it in stock) and two 500 Gb internal hard drives.
Upgrade to DP (5.13 is it now?) & MOTU PCIe424 card
Synthogy Ivory 1.5 and Italian Grand

I've been looking at Synthogy Ivory 1.5 and Italian Grand ($319.00 and $129.00 respectively). Are these the most current versions?
Please excuse my lack of overall knowledge, but
1) How does Ivory work? Is it handled like a hardware sound module and triggered with MIDI or opened inside DP
2) Is an 8 core Mac pro capable of handling DP5 with a multi-track recording project plus any of the sampled pianos such as Synthogy's Ivory, Italian Grand or Native instruments Akoustik Piano simultaneously? Is that pushing extremes or barely dinging the performance meter?
3) I know I've asked this before in another thread, but would an upgrade to the faster processors (the 3Ghz or 3.2Ghz) be called for when using DP and soft pianos and other VI's? Don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'll be living with this new Mac for a long time to come, and don't want any regrets.
Thank you again. You've all been a great help.

Christopher
Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-core 3.46GHz, 128GB RAM, SSD, Mojave, DP11; Waves Mercury & SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC, RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, tons of outboard & microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've got a MacPro Intel quad core, and it's plenty fast enough. I can make a single instance of Ivory bog it down if I do the right things (er... WRONG things), but you can change your buffer settings, and it generally works out all right. I can get 5 instances of ivory to work simultaneously. My complaints about Ivory are two: the interface could be made more intuitive, to convey more information about what the controls will actually do. They're clearly labeled, but it takes some imagination to really figure out how to go about getting a certain sound.

Akoustik Piano manages to do that much better. Its interface is clean and manages to get a lot of stuff in one little window without overwhelming the user.

The other complaint is that Ivory's sound is a bit noisy. AP's is much cleaner. Other than those complaints, I think the two are pretty nearly matched, though Ivory has a noticeably "prettier" sound. That doesn't do you any good when the noise builds up in fast passages, though.

AP's sounds more like a real piano. That's all I can say.

Shooshie