Soundcraft Ghost/ DP Mute Automation

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ghia
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Soundcraft Ghost/ DP Mute Automation

Post by ghia »

hey!

Anyone here know if it is possible to have DP control a Soundcraft Ghost's mute automation? :?:

Thanks!

:D :D
gHia
sTuPid iS aS stUpId dOEs............

DP 7.24 / MX4
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz 16 GigRam
OSX 10.5.8
Motu HD-192 Black Lion
Motu 24 I/O PCIe
ghia

Post by ghia »

Bump Qo ... ? Giles ....? any other Ghost users?

Is there anyone here who uses a Soundcraft Ghost with a DAW and utilizes the Mute-Automation. I have a Ghost 32 & DP 5 and don't really know if it will interface in this manner. I have not been sucessful in getting the ghost to control DP in any fashion using MIDI, I now use a Frontier Tranzport instead. I want to use the Ghost to mix OTB on and would like to use the Auto-mute controlled by DP.
Any thoughts..
Thanks!
Greg
gHia

DP 7.24 / MX4
OSX 10.5.8
Motu HD-192 Black Lion
Motu 24 I/O PCIe
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by pencilina »

never done this but you'd need to find out what the ghost's MIDI implementataion is then send it the appropriate mute data which will probably be MIDI system exclusive or CC data with dp. You might want to play around with DPs (clunky) console feature and build a custom console for your ghost. It might be more trouble then its worth. Have fun.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet ... d=144#blue

The bottom page 208 of the Ghost user guide explains

You have to send specific MIDI note numbers to mute channels.

Phil
ghia

Post by ghia »

Thanks!

I have tried to get the Ghost to control DP. Never had any luck. The mute automation on the ghost is MIDI driven, and is designed to be controlled by a MIDI sequencer. I was hoping to find anybody who uses it before I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. It would be a very valuable tool when mixiong OTB.
Soundcraft sold a ton of the Ghost /CPU version for just this purpose, yet I can't find anyone as of yet that is using the auto mute. I'll continue the quest! I do have the manual and will try to struggle through it.....
Thanks again....
gHia

DP 7.24 / MX4
OSX 10.5.8
Motu HD-192 Black Lion
Motu 24 I/O PCIe
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Wow! very cool thread
ponytrack

Post by ponytrack »

Yes, I've been using this feature with my ghost for years. I have it running through my MTP AV & you just need to make sure the settings are correct in your MIDI setup. I'll check this thread tomorrow to see if you need more info.

ponyboy
Mac Pro dual quad 3.0, OS 10.6.8, DP 7.24, MTP AV, RME Fireface 800, UAD-1, Waves Platinum
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

ghia wrote:I want to use the Ghost to mix OTB on and would like to use the Auto-mute controlled by DP.
Any thoughts..
Thanks!
Greg
Why don't you just mute the audio regions that you don't want in DP and then do all the other mixing in your Ghost? Sounds like more hassle than it's worth to try and control channel muting in the Ghost via MIDI messages.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Mr_Clifford wrote:
ghia wrote:I want to use the Ghost to mix OTB on and would like to use the Auto-mute controlled by DP.
Any thoughts..
Thanks!
Greg
Why don't you just mute the audio regions that you don't want in DP and then do all the other mixing in your Ghost? Sounds like more hassle than it's worth to try and control channel muting in the Ghost via MIDI messages.
I can think of one reason- if you have noisy hardware synths mixing in real time you'd want to mute them when not playing- soft passages especially.

Phil
ghia

Post by ghia »

Yes, I've been using this feature with my ghost for years. I have it running through my MTP AV & you just need to make sure the settings are correct in your MIDI setup. I'll check this thread tomorrow to see if you need more info.

ponyboy
:D Thanks Pony! When I get some time over the holiday I want to play around with this a bit.

My thoughts are to auto mute channels to keep the noise down while mixing. I may be able to kind of automate my mixes somewhat if I can keep the ghost faders at unity gain and automated the volumes through DP on some tracks and then mute when not needed for the mix. It can also free up some hands during the mix. The ghost was engineered to do this for a reason so I want to play around with it to see if it is a useful tool with DP!
Thanks for the insights!! 8)
Greg
gHia

DP 7.24 / MX4
OSX 10.5.8
Motu HD-192 Black Lion
Motu 24 I/O PCIe
TrakLite

Re:

Post by TrakLite »

ghia wrote:

ponyboy
:D Thanks Pony! When I get some time over the holiday I want to play around with this a bit.

My thoughts are to auto mute channels to keep the noise down while mixing. I may be able to kind of automate my mixes somewhat if I can keep the ghost faders at unity gain and automated the volumes through DP on some tracks and then mute when not needed for the mix. It can also free up some hands during the mix. The ghost was engineered to do this for a reason so I want to play around with it to see if it is a useful tool with DP!
Thanks for the insights!! 8)
Greg
Peace I use my Ghost 24 with DP9 and can help you set up the automation if you still need to know how, I can even send my template to you
Gravity Jim

Re: Soundcraft Ghost/ DP Mute Automation

Post by Gravity Jim »

Since the post you are replying to is well over a decade old, I'd guess the OP either figured it out, is using something else now, or has passed away.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]