DP 5 stuck MIDI notes / MIDI bombs still there

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 5 stuck MIDI notes / MIDI bombs still there

Post by williemyers »

For those of us hoping (*praying*, *pleading*!) that the DP problem with stuck/hanging MIDI notes and MIDI bombs were eliminated in DP ver. 5, forget it....they're still happening.

It's really unconscionable that MOTU hasn't dealt with this or, in some cases, refuses to publicly admit that's it an ongoing problem for more than *two years* now.

But in any case, if you were hoping for a solution with DP 5 - which could really be called "DP 4.7" for MIDI users, as most of the relevant new features are all audio - save your money on the upgrade... they (hanging notes & bombs) are still there...

bill myers, composer
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
instacue

Post by instacue »

Wow Bill, that's scary.
Still waiting to receive DP 5.0 to try for myself on my setup, but for me also it's been a tough 2 years. The only safe DP version for me is 4.12, every subsequent version sticks notes like crazy. Audio only projects work flawlessly for me in 4.61 but MIDI, including VIs, sticks and hangs mercilessly. I've tried every remedy suggested by MOTU and this forum, no solutions as yet. Any new ides??
--DP 4.61, Mac G4 Dual 1.4 Gig, 2 Gig ram, Sys 10.3.9, 10.2.8, PCI USB 2.0 card, Aurora Igniter LT pci card, PCI 424, 2408 optical in and out to Apogee AD-8000, Apogee DA16, 3 MTP AV USBs, MTP II, MidiExpress 128. 12 SampleCell cards on Nubus Mac, 2 GigaStudio PCs, Aardsync II word clock house sync, Mach V, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, Trilogy, SoundSoap, SoundSoap Pro, Altiverb
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Bill, I'm sure sorry you're still getting stuck notes, but I disagree with you about DP5. There are plenty of reasons to get it, and its' a very fine upgrade. Remember, the majority of DP users do not get stuck notes. Until about 4 weeks ago, I had no idea what it was like. Then it happened to me on a couple of occasions. I restarted and the problem went away. I have not had the problem except for those two times, and there was something unusual about how they happened. I no longer remember, but it was not normal for me.

Having experienced the problem those two times, I do understand that it happens, and I do sympathize. But I also see how it could be very hard for MOTU to track it down and fix it, since they can't replicate the problem (I can't either). If everyone had the problem, believe me, they'd be on it. The fact that it is so intermittent leads me to believe that there are other factors at work besides DP.

I've had zero problems in DP5 so far. MOTU fixed several bugs that we know of, added features, streamlined some work processes, and added virtual instruments. This is a major upgrade, and well worth the money.

Sorry again about the stuck notes. I know that is a miserable feeling.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

computer gets tired?

Post by toodamnhip »

Iweird how stuck notes can happen. Mine have been greatly reduced over time but sometimes, all of a sudden, notes will just start getting stuck more..until a restart of the session or computer...it's as if something clicks in and midid gets flakey...

doesnt happen often but it's related to session files being large and working towards the end sections of larger session files....

Like things get tired or something clicks and gets messed up in the MIDI engine..weird....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
emulatorloo

Re: DP 5 stuck MIDI notes / MIDI bombs still there

Post by emulatorloo »

williemyers wrote:unconscionable
bill - the only time I had stuck notes in DP is when I was using a emagic A26 USB interface (a recent enay purchase) alongside my TC Powercore.

I wrote TC about it and they said -- yes our customers report stuck MIDI notes in their sequencer apps (note that TC did not say "DP" but "sequencer") when they use a USB audio interface and a PCI Powercore.

So I went back to my PCI audio interface when I wanted to use powercore. No stuck notes. And when I want to use my A26, I dont use powercore. No stuck notes.

Now obviously I don't know if that is your situation.

But the point being that it may not be DP, but rather some other interaction in your system.

Best of luck on getting it straightened out!

-----------------------------------------------
bone.china
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bone.china »

MIDI bombs and stuck MIDI notes started happening for me at 4.5 and they still happen here in 4.61. Sometimes if I turn my MIDI controller keyboard off the stuck notes stop. Other times it doesn't work. Having to reinstantiate the VI is the only sure method of getting rid of stuck MIDI notes. There are not any cures for MIDI bombs that I know of and they happen just as frequently as the stuck MIDI notes!

It is true that it is hard to resist all of the audio goodies in DP5, but the MIDI bugs are still sucking the life out of DP for a lot of us longtime users. And for those of us who rely on VIs extensively its a damn shame that MOTU hasn't tracked down the problem or rewritten DPs MIDI implementation from the ground up.

When using Logic Express since its debut at 7.0 I have experienced ZERO MIDI bombs and stuck MIDI notes that are the fault of Logic. For some reason my copy of Absynth 3 is a little flakey with MIDI but it is always the fault of Absynth and not Logic.

With regards to DP it's just one MIDI hair-pulling session after another, yea after another. The MIDI problems make the V-Racks boon virtually useless, IMO.

Lots of love from me for DP in general but it would be nice to not have to cheat on my favorite girl with Logic Express. :oops:
Imagination is the source of creativity.
Noella

Post by Noella »

Hmm.. I've been have that same problem since 4.5 as well. But it has happen less and less now. Thanks for the heads up for DP 5
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

There are some worrisome issues with DP5 (like the pre-rendering feature in con junction with pitch correction) but I honestly believe that the stuck MIDI notes is a problem with non MOTU MIDI devices. I've been a Performer user since 1989, and without exception, every problem I had with MIDI notes was either a faux pas on my part, or it was a non-MOTU interface.

I'd also suspect multiple MIDI devices as being part of a problem as well. I'm not sure why anyone would need three MTP AV's and additional MIDI interfaces beyond that, but in any event that's a recipe for trouble there.

Towards the end of my old G4's lifespan, I constantly got "disappearing" MIDI - MIDI would just stop working period and I'd have to reboot. Eventually my G4 stopped recognizing PCI interfaces completely, that's when I sold it and got my G5. The MIDI Timepiece AV I use is the same one that I was using with my G4, and I haven't had any problems with it and the G5 and DP 4.61.

G5 Dual 2.3Ghz, OSX 10.4.4, DP4.61, 2 GB RAM, second internal drive for audio, 828 MK II, MIDI Timepiece USB AV.
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

On occasion, I have had stuck MIDI notes, and of course hitting the panic button on my MOTU MIDI Micro Express (USB) cleared the stuck notes till I hit the spacebar again and guess what,,,,, stuck notes again upon stop.

The only fix is to reboot the whole stinkin computer. I have only one Traveler and one MOTU MIDI Micro Express. The only other thing connected to the computer is an external Firewire HD and an iLok. Although stuck MIDI notes don't happen that often, it's aggravating when they do.

All MOTU gear here, so attributing stuck notes to non MOTU gear is not the ticket, at least not here.

G5 dual 2.0 ghz with 3.5 gigs of ram

Dan
boonier

Post by boonier »

how weird, I'm getting stuck notes now. Never had a problem with it before that I can remember.

It only happens when I hit stop and note offs aren't sent . If the notes are left to play out in the sequence then everything stops as it should.

:roll: S
1ghz 17" Powerbook (currently), 1gig ram, Tiger 10.4.8, DP 4.6.1, Motu 828, Edirol FA-101, Bidule, Reason, SuperCollider, synths, hardware FX, cables, plugs, plug adaptors, extension leads, dust, vacuum cleaner
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Having experienced the same stuck notes (no note off's) when I hit the spacebar to stop playback, and having found my User Error, I'll propose this to all other stuck notes sufferers:
Make Sure You Have No MIDI Loops.
I'm not 100% sure yet, but my hunch is that some of my (hardware synthesizer) instruments were merging their MIDI In data at their MIDI out port, and this was going back into my MIDI Patcher and back to the MOTU USB interface, and back to the G5. When I eliminated all but one connection each way on my MIDI Patcher, the problem went away.
By no means a slam dunk solution, but it may mean different things to different people, depending on your setup, and may apply. :idea:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
billf

Post by billf »

Guys, I don't think this is a DP problem. I was in Logic last night playing around with it, and I had the experience of stuck MIDI notes. It seems to me that the problem is more likely to be in the Audio/MIDI part of OSX or the MIDI interface itself.
instacue

Post by instacue »

For what it's worth, and I've mentioned this on this forum before, on the same OSX 3.9 Mac, using multiple MTP AVs, no notes EVER stick in DP 4.12 and they almost always stick in every DP version after 4.5.

If it was an OSX problem, notes would stick in DP 4.12, but they don't ever.

I never have MIDI loops enabled either.

--DP 4.61, Mac G4 Dual 1.4 Gig, 2 Gig ram, Sys 10.3.9, 10.2.8, PCI USB 2.0 card, Aurora Igniter LT pci card, PCI 424, 2408 optical in and out to Apogee AD-8000, Apogee DA16, 3 MTP AV USBs, MTP II, MidiExpress 128. 12 SampleCell cards on Nubus Mac, 2 GigaStudio PCs, Aardsync II word clock house sync, Mach V, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, Trilogy, SoundSoap, SoundSoap Pro, Altiverb
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

David Polich wrote:.. but I honestly believe that the stuck MIDI notes is a problem with non MOTU MIDI devices.
Wrong. It happens on my MOTU 128 Express. NEVER happened with my Opcode Studio 4.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

instacue wrote:For what it's worth, and I've mentioned this on this forum before, on the same OSX 3.9 Mac, using multiple MTP AVs, no notes EVER stick in DP 4.12 and they almost always stick in every DP version after 4.5.

If it was an OSX problem, notes would stick in DP 4.12, but they don't ever.
I've never had stuck notes in DP. Only in Logic, and that problem started with Logic 7.2.

On the MTP, has the driver version been consistent?