Two DP icons in Leopard dock

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

Shooshie wrote: Pardon me for taking this off-topic, but you say Time Machine destroyed your external drive? I've got 6 external drives, and three of them have died since I installed Leopard. Coincidence? I think not. I was able to revive two of them by reformatting them. But the 3rd? Dead as a doorknob. I wonder what's going on here. Is Spotlight the problem? I turned off Time Machine early, because it was taking too much processing time from my CPU, making the machine run like molasses. I noticed that Spotlight will access a large disk for days before it gets it all indexed.

Shooshie
Shoosh,

Just let the machine do it post-install stuff. It might take awhile. But afterwards its smooth sailing.... :-)
On my studio machine (G5 1.8 GHz with quite a few drives) it took about 32 hours until spotlight was done. afterwards... no problems.

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

Shooshie wrote:My external drives are all firewire. My internal drives of course are serial ATA.

The ones that died are definitely the oldest. It could be that they were on their last legs, and Leopard's sudden demands for indexing and backing up just wore them out.

I've found in the past that a drive that will not boot on one Mac will sometimes work perfectly on another. I plan to plug them into my Powerbook and see if they'll still boot. If so, I'll reformat them and see if I can get them working again.
Shoosh,

Were the drives that croaked formated on a non-intel machine ?
Then that might be the problem... intel-machines use a different partition map scheme, and can probably get you into deep doo-doo if you won't reformat them.

So, what you might have (in reallity) is 1 drive that really crashed, and two drives that were just not formateed correctly for the new machine / leopard....

I not betting any money on this, but its a plausible explanation......

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
Alan Craig
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Alan Craig »

bjornln wrote:Were the drives that croaked formated on a non-intel machine ?
Then that might be the problem... intel-machines use a different partition map scheme, and can probably get you into deep doo-doo if you won't reformat them.

So, what you might have (in reallity) is 1 drive that really crashed, and two drives that were just not formateed correctly for the new machine / leopard...
:shock:

I guess we're off topic a bit here (I still haven't been able to get a grip on the double icon problem), but the hard disk issue is a really important one too. There's no doubt that there is formatting and indexing problems with Time Machine and Apple have (at last) started to address the issue. The computer world has plenty to say about it.

Here's just a couple of dozens of links discussing this issue ••“ which is even closer to the hearts of audio recorders than most.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11260

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306932
DP 10.13 Mac OS Monterey 12.1
 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 27" | 2.12 TB Fusion Drive | 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4m
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

Alan Craig wrote: I guess we're off topic a bit here (I still haven't been able to get a grip on the double icon problem)
If you hoover over the icons in the dock, you might get a clue to what it is / was....
Also, does one of the icons have a transparent questionmark on top of it ?

/B
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Alan Craig wrote: I guess we're off topic a bit here (I still haven't been able to get a grip on the double icon problem), but the hard disk issue is a really important one too. There's no doubt that there is formatting and indexing problems with Time Machine and Apple have (at last) started to address the issue. The computer world has plenty to say about it.

Here's just a couple of dozens of links discussing this issue ••“ which is even closer to the hearts of audio recorders than most.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11260

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306932
That's very interesting. I remember there was some reason why I turned off Time Machine, and now I remember it was because it gave me that "Unable to complete backup" error on some drive. After messing with it for a while, I intuitively turned it off. When Apple stuff malfunctions, you don't use it!

And that's just one more reason why I won't be turning it back on.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tommymandel

Re:

Post by tommymandel »

Alan Craig wrote:
Interestingly, I just checked my "force Quit" window, and one of the "two" icons was showing as "not responding". So, I force quit it and it disappeared -
That (force quitting the non-responding of the 2 dP's) just worked for me on my MBP, thanks Alan!

Odd, that I'm still having this "2007 issue" although my situation is slightly different: If I select the "wrong" DP icon in the Application Switcher (with Command-Tab), Digital Performer is displayed as the active app to the immediate right of the Apple in the menu bar, but DP's windows don't display... Maybe it's because this is a 2007 MBP (Santa Rosa) although it is Snow Leopard's latest OS...10.6.6. (10j567
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
carrythebanner

Re: Two DP icons in Leopard dock

Post by carrythebanner »

Do you have the Digidesign Core Audio driver installed (/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin), and also the Apple Software Synth enabled in DP (Setup menu > Interapplication MIDI)? I've seen what you're describing on my own system, and somehow or another discovered that connection. Not sure why it happens, but it appears to be harmless.

Interesting note: There are actually two executables inside the DP app bundle's Contents/MacOS folder: Digital Performer (the main DP executable) and DLSSoftSynth (for the Apple Software Synth). For whatever reason, when the Digi Core Audio driver is present, DLSSoftSynth appears as a regular app, rather than behind-the-scenes as usual. (The fact that both are within the same DP app bundle explains why "Show in Finder" on both of these dock icons reveal the same Digital Performer application.)
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
tommymandel

Re: Two DP icons in Leopard dock

Post by tommymandel »

Wow, Banner! That totally explains it-in my system, I do have the Digi driver installed, for the rare occasions when I hook up my laptop to the 002R. And I've been using the Apple Software Synth lately for drafts.

PS. that would probably also explain why, when I'd force quit the "2nd DP" in Application Switcher, I'd have to reload an Apple Synth, sometimes called "DLS Music Device" and sometimes called "Apple Software Synth", not sure why...
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"