Plugin redraws are dead slow

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dreamuse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Plugin redraws are dead slow

Post by dreamuse »

Hi all,

This is an interesting problem I've had for several years now, but would like to tackle it once and for all:

Scenario 1: Any waves plug and an open video window
If I have a video window up while I have any Waves plug open and I move a knob or slider, the interface updates 1-2 times a second, as opposed to the usual truly interactive way. If I close the video window, the problem goes away.

Scenario 2: Newfangled Audio's Equivocate

I see the above mentioned slow knob redraws also with either once instance of Equivocate and open video window, or two instances of Equivocate (with or without an open video window). I believe this is a graphics problem, as if I put one Equivocate instance on top of the other and completely obscure one instances sliders, the problem goes away.

I've updated from OS 10.11.5 to '.6, tried the latest GeForce Driver, and ensured I had the latest Waves plugs...all to no avail. I've also spoken with the great MOTU Tech Support (and yes, they're great), and they've never come across this.

TIA for any light you can shed here,

Len
2013 Trashcan, 12 core, 10.14.6, 64GB RAM,
http://www.uncannymusic.com
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plugin redraws are dead slow

Post by EMRR »

It does on the surface sound as if the video card can't keep up with that specific demand. Can't say for sure.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

It does, but my usage here isn't unique. Waves is widely used, along with a video window. All other graphics look great and snappy, so unless that particular combination uses some unique portion of the card's circuitry, I'm at a loss thus far.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have the same upgraded computer as you, and I can tell you, the original video card is Old And Busted. You need the New Hotness.

"My usage isn't unique" sounds as if you are trying to say that DP should be able to run video alongside plugins with no problems on a 10-year-old Mac with the original GPU that was widely reviled when it came out. I don't think that's the case.

Upgrade your video card to something with at least a gigabyte of onboard RAM. I had the same problem until I swapped out the original card for an ATI Radeon HD... I actually drove 3 displays (one of which was a Slate Raven) for about 6 months with this card and had no video stuttering.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:I have the same upgraded computer as you, and I can tell you, the original video card is Old And Busted. You need the New Hotness.

"My usage isn't unique" sounds as if you are trying to say that DP should be able to run video alongside plugins with no problems on a 10-year-old Mac with the original GPU that was widely reviled when it came out. I don't think that's the case.

Upgrade your video card to something with at least a gigabyte of onboard RAM. I had the same problem until I swapped out the original card for an ATI Radeon HD... I actually drove 3 displays (one of which was a Slate Raven) for about 6 months with this card and had no video stuttering.
Which card did you go to Jim?

Since I wanted to get 4k video resolution, I moved from ATI (AMD) 5770 to AMD RX460 4GB (Gigabyte), which is one of the big reasons I moved from Mountain Lion to Sierra (GPU support). Mac-compatible 5770s are readily available now, but many newer GPUs are running pricey due to cryptocurrency miners' demand.

Back to the OP's Inquiry:

The card that came stock with the 4,1 Mac Pro is a GT120. It has 512MB RAM. It is possible this is your issue, but I am not at all sure. I have used the GT120 to drive a 2560 x 1080 widescreen monitor without difficulty. My guess is a software issue, as other plug-ins would likely be demonstrating the same behavior if the problem stemmed from hardware limitations.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

HC, I went with an ATI Radeon HD 5870.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:HC, I went with an ATI Radeon HD 5870.
Thanks Jim. :)
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

Thanks all, especially Jim for weighing in here.

Yea, I've been looking at upgrading the video card. But...I'm skeptical I'm hitting its limitations as badly as you're saying, as everything else is cruising along just fine. Plenty of VI's and plugs are open...along with video...and nary a hiccup except for this particular situation.

Meh...should have taken up the flute.

Len
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I can only recall way back with the last gen G5, it was only a couple of years before the video card couldn't keep up with plug graphics, even though the computer had tons of headroom in activity monitor.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

OK...sounds like I should upgrade my card. Jim, I see there's a fan on yours, I believe. Is it quiet? I have the computer fairly close to me, and it's already making more noise than I care for, especially since bringing the processor tray up to 3.46 Ghz and 12 processors. Yea, cutting edge. For 2010. :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I used to have this issue if certain plug GUIs were open. RX 3 Advanced was the worst as I recall. I had to have it open only, set it then close it for the DP graphics and other plug windows to run at anything near a decent speed.

I just got into the habit of closing plugin windows that weren’t necessary once I made the settings and haven’t had a problem since.

The 5770 in my iMac is the same as in most older Mac Pros but cannot be swapped.

Switching to SSDs only sped up the graphics on my 2010 iMac also. It wasn’t hard to figure out why but that was not expected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The AMD 460 I am running makes no fan noise unless it is pushed... the fans idle at zero RPM. The 560 has replaced the 460; I think you need to be running Sierra to use either.

The GT120 is nice and quiet. The 5770 somewhat noisier. I still think it is unlikely that you GPU is the issue, but I have, on at least one occasion already this year, been wrong about something.

I have an extra mac version 5770 sitting in a box if you'd like to try it out. PM me if interested.
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

Thanks, Mike and Marcus, especially for the offer of trying out the card. I am wondering something additionally: Should I expect a graphics card to narrow the latency of video playback, or is this a function of internal bussing and processor decompression, do ya think? If the card's just acting as a frame buffer, I couldn't expect better movie performance, but like you said, I've been wrong about at least one thing. Probably at least since I woke up today.

Len
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dreamuse wrote: Should I expect a graphics card to narrow the latency of video playback?

Len
I wouldn't expect it to*. Video editing would likely be impacted. For example, reports indicate Final Cut is optimized for AMD GPUs.

*this could be my second, possibly third error this year.
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

Well, a guy can hope. :) It'd be great to see everything get snappier, but alas, we're talking 9 year old bus speeds, etc...