Bars and Lines mode for Note Velocity?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bars and Lines mode for Note Velocity?

Post by James Steele »

Am I just dense, or silly for wondering this, but would it be useful in the MIDI Editor window to have Bars mode and Lines mode work for note on velocities as well as controllers? At least visually it would be a hell of a lot easier to see than Points mode.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Re: Bars and Lines mode for Note Velocity?

Post by bayswater »

I thought it would be a good idea too, but I suppose the logic is that velocities are not independent events; they're one of the data points in a note event, while controller events are independent of any other event. Not to say it couldn't be done if MOTU programmers wanted to do it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I thought it would be a good idea too, but I suppose the logic is that velocities are not independent events; they're one of the data points in a note event, while controller events are independent of any other event. Not to say it couldn't be done if MOTU programmers wanted to do it.
Right... just seems like it would be easier to see that way. A visual aid is all. Sometimes... well a lot of times, I want to ramp note velocities.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Right... just seems like it would be easier to see that way. A visual aid is all. Sometimes... well a lot of times, I want to ramp note velocities.
I agree. For now you just have to use Smooth option in the Velocity command dialog, or the reshape tool which shows you the "line" as long as you're in the process of drawing the ramp.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:...or the reshape tool which shows you the "line" as long as you're in the process of drawing the ramp.
Yeah... I use that and it helps. I guess my main beef is those tiny little "Vs" the denote the note velocity are SO SMALL!!! Especially on my 30" monitor. I think amplidood had some themes with thicker velocity point icons. I sure hope he can update his themes some day for 9.1x

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:...would it be useful in the MIDI Editor window to have Bars mode and Lines mode work for note on velocities as well as controllers?...
Yes!!!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:...or the reshape tool which shows you the "line" as long as you're in the process of drawing the ramp.
Yeah... I use that and it helps. I guess my main beef is those tiny little "Vs" the denote the note velocity are SO SMALL!!! Especially on my 30" monitor. I think amplidood had some themes with thicker velocity point icons. I sure hope he can update his themes some day for 9.1x
James - this has been posted a few times - it is not perfect but this png from the Resources folder of your favourite theme can be amended at least makes the V's into square blocks (any colour you like to make them) and so are easier to see :

and looks like this:

Called cdDataCicn.png if you can access it with a paint/graphics program you can manually alter the file. If you can't do this I would be happy to send you the file (any colour you like) so you can slip it in the Resources folder. You usually need both the normal and the 5k version depending on the Mac you are using.

Cheers,
Gary
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The thing that makes it a little less-than-ideal, is that we are often dealing with polyphony and might not like to have all members of the chord be the same velocity-- especially if we are dealing with things like counterpoint, etc.

One option would be to display velocity in a 3D field where X/Y/Z are time/velocity/pitch respectively. Some kind of altered scroll could move through the available pitches at any given point in time in some controlled but organic way (?)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

stubbsonic wrote: One option would be to display velocity in a 3D field where X/Y/Z are time/velocity/pitch respectively. Some kind of altered scroll could move through the available pitches at any given point in time in some controlled but organic way (?)
Will I have to wear those 3D glasses like at the movies?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh right. I was looking at a bass part when I thought of it. Wasn't thinking about chords. Doh!

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:

Called cdDataCicn.png if you can access it with a paint/graphics program you can manually alter the file. If you can't do this I would be happy to send you the file (any colour you like) so you can slip it in the Resources folder. You usually need both the normal and the 5k version depending on the Mac you are using.

Cheers,
Gary
I would certainly like that if possible Gary.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this 5K people keep referring to?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

James Steele wrote:Am I just dense, or silly for wondering this, but would it be useful in the MIDI Editor window to have Bars mode and Lines mode work for note on velocities as well as controllers? At least visually it would be a hell of a lot easier to see than Points mode.
I would like that.

Also to be able to switch any track to quick scribe without loosing the other tracks. It would just be more tactile to me.

The one feature I would love as well and have been asking for for 5 years is a lock the vertical window scroll button which would allow you to move down the sequence without loosing your place because of mouse accidental movements causing scrolling on a track to move up or down.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Phil O wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is this 5K people keep referring to?

Phil
Pretty sure as in "5k Video Monitor", and the corresponding DP graphics files, the iMac standard.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Phil O wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is this 5K people keep referring to?

Phil
The resolution on a 5K Retina Mac requires some DP png's to be @2 times the size - so the Themes resources have double the number of png's in some cases.
Gary Shepherd