DP 9.1 loses clock

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.1 loses clock

Post by David Polich »

At least I think this is what is happening...intermittently. Yesterday I had several instances of
the audio from DP becoming distorted and garbled...all audio. Resetting the buffer in the control panel would fix it. A couple of times recorded MIDI tracks were playing back late as well - and resetting the buffer fixed this too.

Anyone else experience this problem?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Phil O

Re: DP 9.1 loses clock

Post by Phil O »

I have a similar problem which I reported to MOTU, but they couldn't reproduce. It's a loss of sync (or buffer overflow or sumthin) when using the built-in digital I/O on my Mac Pro. Resetting the buffer fixes it for a couple of minutes, then it returns. My other interfaces work fine. And it only happens in 9.1. - 9.02 is still working fine (so I know it's not the Mac).

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't know if it is related, but DP is now used as the "movie window" for Finale 25. (I know... W T F!) The connection, via Rewire, is lost within a minute and the "system" doesn't work. Restarting Finale seems to reconnect, so DP is probably working ok. I just thought I'd mention it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

What happens if you don't have DP? Will Finale use Quicktime?

The similarity is that the problem develops after a minute or so, can be fixed but then re-appears after another minute or so.

How about your problem, David? Does it have a similar reappearance after fixing it (1 to 2 minutes)?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Any DAW will do. I had lunch with Craig Marks last week who suggested video slave. I'll be checking that out today.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Had this happen yesterday at someone else's studio. 2408 and a Yamaha digital board. Studio owner said he'd never had it happen before. Tried all sorts of things but changing the 2408 from optical clock to internal and then back again fixed it. Very weird. Wouldn't play and locating with the keypad would go to some random location.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

With some sadness, I have gone back to 9.02.
I'll miss 9.1's latency reduction, launching more
quickly, and handling some VI's and plugs more
efficiently. The deal killer for me was actually
the sustain pedal problem, followed by the
CPU overload with "some" plugins and
this loss of clock or whatever it really is.

Looking forward to seeing "9.2 Update is out"
posted on this forum, for sure. And for the
record, I dont blame MOTU in any regard.
I know they are working to fix these issues,
many of which they could not have foreseen.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

David Polich wrote:With some sadness, I have gone back to 9.02.
I'll miss 9.1's latency reduction, launching more
quickly, and handling some VI's and plugs more
efficiently. The deal killer for me was actually
the sustain pedal problem, followed by the
CPU overload with "some" plugins and
this loss of clock or whatever it really is.

Looking forward to seeing "9.2 Update is out"
posted on this forum, for sure. And for the
record, I dont blame MOTU in any regard.
I know they are working to fix these issues,
many of which they could not have foreseen.
I'm glad that these things aren't happening on my rig. But I'm even more glad to see a post where a DP user reports a problem without going ballistic and accusing MOTU of screwing us all on purpose.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
remmet

Post by remmet »

Over the last few days I've been having similar issues. The signal is getting to the DP mixing board, but no sound comes out. A message appears saying:

"Digital Performer is not receiving a clock signal from the audio hardware. Check to make sure hardware or peripheral settings are setup correctly or disable the audio hardware for MIDI playback only."

I thought maybe my 1224 was going bad, or the digital cable between the computer and the 1224 was going bad. But the fact that other people seem to be having the same or similar problems suggests that there's some sort of bug in DP 9.1. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Richard
Last edited by remmet on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

How can a DAW loss contact with a clock and not the converters if both are one and the same :?:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

kassonica wrote:How can a DAW loss contact with a clock and not the converters if both are one and the same :?:
It could just be an erroneous error message.
MIDI Life Crisis

kassonica wrote:How can a DAW loss contact with a clock and not the converters if both are one and the same :?:

It may be there is no error generated to the end user for converter issues since that's more of a transparent aspect. If the clocking goes south you know immediately. Then again, the programmers may see the converter and clock error message as a redundancy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
remmet

Post by remmet »

A couple of other things happen during these 'loss of clock signal' events in addition to (1) getting no sound, (2) the mixing board showing signal coming through, and (3) no activity showing on the 1224 front panel meters:

-- The transport controls don't move when play-activated, despite the fact that, according to the mixing board fader activity, the piece is actually playing (although silently).

-- No sound is produced when playing a note on the MIDI keyboard through a record-enabled MIDI track.

When this has happened, I've tried various methods to get the system working again, including turning the 1224 off and back on, quitting and rebooting DP, restarting the computer, and shutting down and restarting the computer. Though the results aren't consistent, one of these methods eventually works.

I ran a disk and permissions repair last night and will see if it made any difference.
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

What I find irritating is the inability to read the crash reports any more. One could learn a lot from those.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Now I'm worried.

I have several critical sessions in the upcoming week.
I've switched over to 9.1.

Would I best be advised to revert to a prior version?

Thanks!
All is well