How to use JD-XA with DP? SOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
LittleJJ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to use JD-XA with DP? SOLVED

Post by LittleJJ »

I have a severe duh! problem. I bought a JD-XA recently. It sounds quite good: big, fat rich (expen$ive). But I cannot figure out how to use it with DP (or any other computer sequencer). Suppose I play a pad, using the JD keyboard that uses 4 analog parts and 2 digital. Sounds great. But if I record what I'm playing into DP and play it back, I only get 1 analog voice, because DP is recording on one MIDI channel. If I copy the sequencer track to MIDI 2,3,4,5 and 6 and play it back, it sounds completely different and awful, compared to local control, just playing the keyboard.
Am I being clear as to my difficulty? If I can only use the JD-XA for playing parts live and recording I'm screwed. Anyone know how to make sequenced performances play back sounding like using local control? :shake:
Last edited by LittleJJ on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
HCMarkus

Re: How to use JD-XA with DP?

Post by HCMarkus »

It would seem that the function you seek would reside somewhere in the JD-XA, but if you need multiple MIDI channels to be transmitted from a single DP track, use Device Groups
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

Turns out the function I was looking for is called "remote keyboard," found on page 3,628 of the SYSTEM menu, which sets the instrument to respond to incoming MIDI as though from local control. Once turned on, a single channel MIDI message from another keyboard or a DAW can play stacked sounds just like the JD's keyboard.
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Excellent!
I'm very happy to hear you got it sorted out.
Great info for future JD-XA folks in DP.
All is well