Lost scrolling capabilities in DP9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
musicman691

Re: Lost scrolling capabilities in DP9

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:There is a preference or setting to turn on fader scrolling, and it may work for other knobs and sliders. I don't know why you would lose horizontal scrolling. DP 9 fixed that for me. I lost most scrolling somewhere in DP 7 and never got it back until DP 9.
Could you point me to where this preference is set? I cant' seem to find it and the manual isn't any help. Whatever way it's set for me now is I can use the scroll wheel to move knobs in an effect but not faders (I'm assuming we're talking mixer faders here right?).
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:There is a preference or setting to turn on fader scrolling, and it may work for other knobs and sliders. I don't know why you would lose horizontal scrolling. DP 9 fixed that for me. I lost most scrolling somewhere in DP 7 and never got it back until DP 9.
Could you point me to where this preference is set? I cant' seem to find it and the manual isn't any help. Whatever way it's set for me now is I can use the scroll wheel to move knobs in an effect but not faders (I'm assuming we're talking mixer faders here right?).
It's in the mixer Mini-menu>"Enable Mouse Wheel for Sliders and Knobs". Personally I prefer scrolling the faders using the Fader readout levels, as it is not quite so sensitive.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was referring to system prefs. I assumed the DP setting was on by default -- I turned if off in DP 8 and it came back on in 9.

To find it in the manual, put "scroll wheel" in the search box in Preview. Use the quotes so it finds pages with both words.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
It's in the mixer Mini-menu>"Enable Mouse Wheel for Sliders and Knobs". Personally I prefer scrolling the faders using the Fader readout levels, as it is not quite so sensitive.
That's an excellent tip, cuttime. When you scroll diagonally across the mixer, maybe accessing another track somewhere that is scrolled out of sight while moving up or down, you can accidentally scroll faders in the process. It's good to have fader scrolling limited to a small target.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
cuttime wrote:Personally I prefer scrolling the faders using the Fader readout levels, as it is not quite so sensitive.
That's an excellent tip, cuttime.
Shooshie
It is a useful tip. But is there some trick to the sensitivity level? I'm still getting too much movement using the readout.
dix

Post by dix »

Shooshie wrote:Did you hold down SHIFT for scrolling horizontally? Seems like there was a modifier key involved. Maybe it depends on the mouse involved.
Oh hey, that works! You very smart man. Thank you!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote: It is a useful tip. But is there some trick to the sensitivity level? I'm still getting too much movement using the readout.
Maybe using a modifier key like Shift or such would do the trick?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote: It is a useful tip. But is there some trick to the sensitivity level? I'm still getting too much movement using the readout.
Maybe using a modifier key like Shift or such would do the trick?
Yes, Command does that, but does too much. As I mentioned above, with a trackpad, without the modifier, a very small trackpad swipe move the fader it's entire travel. With a modifier, it takes several full swipes to move the fader the same distance. Setting it so one swipe = one fader travel would make it possible to create a smooth automation curve, etc using a trackpad. Not a big deal: I have a motorized control surface but it's not always set up.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cuttime wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
Agreed about not so sensitive.
But I have an issue that if I have faders linked in a group and I try and scroll using the fader readout all the faders in the group move (as they should) but they're all jumpy, they don't move together and they don't even move and stay at new levels. Sometimes one fader in a group will go lower when I'm scrolling to go to a higher level while other faders in the group will go high or just dither up and down. This is with a Logitech thumb ball mouse and mouse wheel with detents (no way to disable the detents).
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

this is a bit off topic, but is there any way to force DP 7.24 Mixer Faders to NOT respond to scroll input?

I'll be scrolling in the mixer, and if not very careful will blast something up and kill my ears/speakers.

It's very annoying!
why would i want to skin a cat?
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

NEVER MIND! Just found it in the DP7 "New features" pdf.

RTFM!
why would i want to skin a cat?