'set meter' additive 'beat value' in click-track weirdness?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fgagne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

'set meter' additive 'beat value' in click-track weirdness?

Post by fgagne »

I can't tell if I'm doing this wrong/expecting something that isn't gonna happen or if this is indeed a bug. I've noticed it enough that I'm gonna mention it.

Let's say I'm doing a lot of 'adjust beats' while listening to the clicktrack, basically just making the click match the drum hits (using 'move one beat at a time') in the conductor track and I want to do a 'set meter' from measure 20 to 'end of sequence'.

So I do that and select the 'Metronome click' to have a value of 'Beat Value' and that beat value was a whole note.

Later, when that value is changed in a subsequent 'set meter' to 'end of sequence', (for example, measure 21 onward to the end) and that 'Metronome click' beat value is now changed to an eighth note, the quarter note that I set previously doesn't seem to be gone and replaced with the new choice of 'eigth note'. Rather, the tempo seems either really sped-up or that there are now two 'metronome click beat values' playing via the metronome.

In other words, listening to the metronome clicks now, the metronome clicks seem to be subdivided way more than either a quarter note or an eighth note. It's like the values got added together....

Anyone wanna try this and tell me what you think?

Thanks.
Shooshie

Re: 'set meter' additive 'beat value' in click-track weirdn

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not understanding your concern 100%, but I think I may see its silhouette. Maybe the rest will fill in later.

But before I ask any other questions, let me ask you this: have you checked the "Preserve Original Performance?" check box? When doing Adjust Beats or Shift, it's important to check that box if you want your performance to sound the same when you're done.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

Hmmmm.......it actually seems like it's me and not a bug. (surprise, surprise)

I guess what's happening is the tempo(s) past where I've 'adjusted beats' are just really fast. I'm assuming that's because the beats haven't been adjusted properly yet and in their default settings said tempo is just plain fast??

Either way, thanks for chiming in Shooshie.
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

SHOOSH!

I think I've found a bug.

Regarding this issue, do some 'set meters' along with a 'set tempo' and change the 'beat value' in either but limit your choice to either a Whole Note and/or a Half Note.

I've found that the 'beat value' in the tempo "numbers" (wtf is it called again??? sorry) changes to seemlingly random values which will then, in turn, make the click track speed up or slow down. 100% frustrating.

Here's an example. (Make sure to read my notes that pop over the video.....since I did this on my phone, I coudln't tell exactly where my cursor was. So yeah, read those annotations!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yh7pzP9hk

The beat value (i.e. a Whole Note, Half Note, whatever...) changes to seemingly random values that I never set.

Thanks!
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

Again, to clarify, in regards to the video.......

The beat value changes from whole note to half note and, yes, I did that somewhere in my setting of meter(s) and/or setting of a tempo.

You'll see it change to a dotted whole note and I never chose that.

I've seen it randomly change to other sorts of beat values that I've never chosen as well.
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

I just "re-annotated" the youtube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yh7pzP9hk

My apologies to anyone who had to sit through the version with me talking.

Ugh.

So why is the Beat Value changing to something that I've never chosen?

(And when I say "chosen", I'm talking about the Beat Values I chose when doing a 'set tempo' and/or a 'set meter' operation. I've changed that value before--to a whole note or a half note--but I've never chosen a dotted whole note.
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

And here you can see why this is so frustrating (new vid!)......

Total motivation killer..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeUQze ... b8QpkuNRJw

Big bummer.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Haven't watched the video yet, but I will. I have had that problem a time or two in the past, and while I thought the same thing at first, I eventually realized that something I had done had caused the dot. I don't remember what, at this point, but it was easy to do accidentally.

I'm not saying there is NOT a bug, but it's happened to me, and after much haranguing and complaining, I found out the cause: me. Sorry I can't remember the details.

Ok, I'm going to watch the video and see if any memory triggers might provide some clues.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

fgagne wrote:And here you can see why this is so frustrating (new vid!)......

Total motivation killer..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IeUQze ... b8QpkuNRJw

Big bummer.

Ok, I need to know a few things.
  • 1) Did you Adjust Beats on this?
    2) Did you Record Beats on this?
    3) Have you done any custom click settings?
    4) Have you used the dialog to change tempos?
    5) Have you used any other methods to change tempos?
    6) Have you used Scale Time, with the conductor track selected?
    7) Any other things you can think of that might have affected the conductor track in spots?
    • 7a) For example, are you currently using Range Selections as your default, as opposed to Event Selections?
      • To check, go to Preferences/Editing/Tools and look at the drop-down menu at the top.
I'm not saying I'll have the answer if you answer those questions, but I can be pretty sure I won't have it if you don't. One of them may lead us to the right clue.

Shooshie
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

Awesome.

Thanks for responding, Shooshie.

1) Did you Adjust Beats on this?
Yes!

2) Did you Record Beats on this?
No!

3) Have you done any custom click settings?
On another project I created some custom 7/8 and 9/8 click settings. I think those kinds of things are "global", correct? In other words, even if I created those click settings (7/8, 9/8, etc.) in another project, they'll still exist for this project, right?

But here's something........does a 3/4 click setting come as a default? If not, then I did probably create a 3/4 click in the other project and would therefore be using it here as well since I do indeed have more than enough 3/4 clicks being used in this project.

4) Have you used the dialog to change tempos?
I have indeed done a few 'set tempos' (in SE, rt. click on top part of sequence and choose 'set tempo') but, really, it's usually done as an attempt to remedy this very problem I'm dealing with. There are also instances where I've used it for its intended purpose though.

5) Have you used any other methods to change tempos?
I don't think so. But here's a question....

What's the difference between changing the 'beat value' while in a 'set meter' vs changing the 'beat value' when in a 'set tempo'? I've done it in both.

6) Have you used Scale Time, with the conductor track selected?
Is 'scale time' where you gradually change the tempo while in the 'set tempo' dialogue? I've never gradually changed it but I have indeed changed it from measure to measure but it's usually done in an attempt to fix this issue. (Which, obviously, has been unsuccessful to date.)

7) Any other things you can think of that might have affected the conductor track in spots?

No, unfortunately.

7a) For example, are you currently using Range Selections as your default, as opposed to Event Selections?
To check, go to Preferences/Editing/Tools and look at the drop-down menu at the top.

I'll have to check this out when I'm at home. At work right now.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, I'm sorry if I gave you false hopes. I've checked and checked, even experimented, and I've found nothing. I'm pretty sure that when it happened to me, it was the result of setting some tempos with a dialog, or something like that, and accidentally hitting the dot. But it really does seem like it happened once upon a time, about 3 to 5 years ago, without my actually doing anything that would normally cause that to happen.

I just can't be sure at this point.

Shooshie