Plug-in Delay Compensation

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-in Delay Compensation

Post by Tobor »

Hello,

I've suddenly been having a problem with automatic plugin delay compensation, or lack of it. Trying to do voiceovers with big latency is a headache. Previously I'd get lag if I still had the L3 on the master bus, but everything worked fine except for that, and when I'd take the L3 off the bus I noticed no obvious delay.

I just did a realtime overdub with a keyboard (direct to audio track, no MIDI) to a Stylus drum loop with Alloy and Trash on it (the loop), and playback was way out of sync.

I thought there was a checkbox for Automatic Plugin Delay compensation in Preferences somewhere, but I can't find it now. I wonder if it got unchecked somehow. Very puzzling. Like a lot of things, it all works perfectly until it doesn't.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Re: Plug-in Delay Compensation

Post by bayswater »

It's in Configure Studio Settings.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks bays, I had found it. Page 25 in the Quick Start guide although LOL it doesn't tell you where it is, but I remembered after a little menu surfing.

Sum total though it was checked, so I'm finding this new slippage a little disturbing. It used to be I could take L3 or Ozone off the mix bus and latency would again be fine, but now it remains out of sync.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Have you changed anything? Like using VST versions instead of AU, or using more than one mix buss containing a mastering plugin prior to the master output?

Maybe try turning ADC off and on again?

Some time ago, the same thing was reported. It might have even been as far back as V6. IIRC, simply restarting DP worked then.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8